Laughing City

Did you become an Atheist after seeing "The Golden Compass"?
Yes
44%
 44%  [ 13 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 29

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

I'm almost done reading the book, and now I'm much more excited for the movie. Plus, I love Daniel Craig (see "Enduring Love") and Nicole Kidman.

The book is enjoyable, but it seems like a movie which has the potential to be much better as a film. Who knows, though.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vK6MDIEQjMg

EDIT: There is now a poll. I just want to make sure the movie is doing it's job
Very Happy

PS. It's a joke.
Last edited by kLafied on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Do you love atheism?
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

No?
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

That book and movie are about killing God and promoting atheism to little kids.
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

That's just dumb. I hate when people take things like that. It's like when people said Harry Potter promoted witchcraft. In a way I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's what the book or the movie intended at all. It's a neat story. I doubt I'll be able to change your opinion though, so whatever, I really don't care. That's not how I see the book or the movie, so I'm still excited.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

"I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief," said Pullman in an article by The Washington Post, adding that C.S. Lewis, the Christian author of Chronicles of Narnia, would describe his books as the “Devil's work."
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

JBaker wrote:
"I'm trying to undermine the basis of Christian belief," said Pullman in an article by The Washington Post, adding that C.S. Lewis, the Christian author of Chronicles of Narnia, would describe his books as the “Devil's work."

I told you I understand where you're coming from. But I think most people with a good head on their shoulders would take it as story and leave it at that. Critics have said that the movie is not for very young kids, and I'm sure by the time that others have reached their teens they have learned not to be swayed by what a fantasy story similar to Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter tells them.

Honestly, if someone became an atheist because of "The Golden Compass," they have their own problems to sort out.

There are better things to worry and preach about. Leave it alone.

EDIT: I'll admit I raced through what you just said and realized now that Pullman is the one who said those words, but I still don't care what he believes. I look at the book as entertainment and nothing else. I think that's how most people see it.

jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
adding that C.S. Lewis, the Christian author of Chronicles of Narnia, would describe his books as the “Devil's work."

i don't think lewis would ever say that.

kLafied
Laughing Citizen

jack_stripes wrote:
JBaker wrote:
adding that C.S. Lewis, the Christian author of Chronicles of Narnia, would describe his books as the “Devil's work."

Lewis was very religious, I've heard. But who knows.

Kevin87
Sea Post King

here we go again. i've heard so much about why this is bad and it's getting annoying.. the books, they do not kill God.. and that's in the THIRD BOOK, not the first. but i won't do any spoilers.. if you haven't read the book, don't go saying it's something it's not. i'm going to be incredibly cliche, but don't judge a book by it's cover.

if somebody can be influenced by a fiction book so much to be undermined like that then they don't need to be reading any fiction books. if a parent can't sit and explain to their kid that it's not real, then something's up with that situation.

i first started reading the book and when that storyline came up, in the 2nd book i believe, yeah i was extremely put off by it. but i kept reading it to see what exactly they mean. and yeah, it was never actually God they wanted to kill. and also, in Lyra's world, it's flipped, "science" is known as "theology" and "theology" is known "science". so whatever. the movie still looks good to me.

not sure how C.S. Lewis would say it's the "devil's work" especially after The Last Battle..
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
jack_stripes wrote:
JBaker wrote:

Lewis was very religious, I've heard. But who knows.

yeah he was religious, but he wasn't stupid. i just dont think he'd make a statement like that.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Whatever happend to Salmon Rushdie?

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

kLafied wrote:
Honestly, if someone became an atheist because of "The Golden Compass," they have their own problems to sort out.

Seriously. How many people got saved because of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe? Give me a break. Pullman's reasoning (and that of the fundamentalists who lambaste him on useless Facebook groups devoted to boycotting The Golden Compass) is specious as hell, and I am sick of seeing it spread around by paranoid extremists who can't think for themselves.

I'm going to see the movie on Friday. I'm really excited about it; there are zeppelins and goggles and souls in the form of animals. If it's as delightful as I think it will be, I'll show it to my future children. And I'll let my children read the books, because I will have taught them how to be rational, balanced human beings who understand their own beliefs and won't be shaken by some writer they've never met. If parents are afraid that their kids will want to go out and kill God after reading the His Dark Materials trilogy, they need to do a better job of teaching their children.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
That book and movie are about killing God and promoting atheism to little kids.

YAY! more reason for me to go see the movie!!!!!!

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Kevin87 wrote:

if somebody can be influenced by a fiction book so much to be undermined like that then they don't need to be reading any fiction books. if a parent can't sit and explain to their kid that it's not real, then something's up with that situation.

this statement makes sense. except you are competely wrong.

lets say i wrote a fiction book about the autrocities of nazi death camps and i said "i wrote this book so people would realize how it was" then i would write it in order to get that reaction.

pullman wrote these books to (in his own words) "undermine the basis of Christian belief

he wrote them to make kids stop believeing. and that is the reaction he expects the people to have when they read his books or see the movie.

that was his WHOLE purpose for writing them.

unlike lewis, who just wrote the narnia books as stories that have Christian allegory. Lewis didnt go out and write the narnia series to make children believe in God.

that is where i feel you and hannah are wrong to make that statment you guys made.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

goto page
 | next >>