30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
No.
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 13

SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

Amazon has a device i'm thinking about getting.

it's butt ugly but it could be useful.
so i wonder. would any of you buy a digital book?

Paranoid Android v2.0
Vintage Newbie

SamuraiPunk wrote:
Amazon has a device i'm thinking about getting.

it's butt ugly but it could be useful.
so i wonder. would any of you buy a digital book?

I am very, very ANTI-digital book. We're letting electric screens take over every part of our lives; entertainment, work, recreation, learning, interaction with other human beings.

Sometimes we need to NOT be plugged in and turned on, so we can just go outside and smear some dirt across our backs.

This is MYSPACE
Gee, Blog
Joined: 29 Oct 2003 | Posts: 4250 | Location: Up here in Connecticut
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jack_stripes
Vintage Newbie

I was pretty close to getting the Sony reader-device thing, because it came with a hundred pre installed classics, and it supported .txt. and pdf files, but then i thought that's a whole lot of money and I love my physical books.
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

I have one and it is really one of the best things I've ever owned. I figure I have shifted about 27 tons of books over the years.
For sure it won't (or shouldn't) replace all books. For students, or voracious 'anything' readers, or travellers it is wonderful. I'd rather my limited shelf space be reserved for special books and not the Sue Grafton type 2 hour popcorn editions.
Also, it is much easier to read in bed than a paperback. Today my goal is to get the complete Jeeves and Wooster on my Kindle free from Project Guttenberg.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

its super expensive (like 400 bucks) but its really really neat.

that being said, I'd take one if someone gave it to me. but i dont think id buy one.

I dont know a lot about the e reader scene

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

I have to see one first.but i like the idea of having a light weigh book device.
there some books that i never bought simply cause they didn't feel right in my had.
i don't mind hard back but if it's huge it discourages me from carrying it around.

crusso
Sea Post King

Heaven forbid you have to turn a page or something.
Lantz
Vintage Newbie

i'm neutral on this topic. i like the idea of the digital book cause it saves paper which means more trees saved, but i love the feel of the paper when i'm reading. Confused

"theres so much beauty it could make you cry"
-Modest Mouse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

The quality of books in general has declined over the years. Paper is poorly made, printing is poorly done, binding is horrific in most cases. I recently bought a hard cover book for $37.00 and it was perfect (ground and glued) bound, not signature gathered and sewn.
Some authors (Updike and Irving) actually have book production standards written into their contracts. Those are books I will buy.
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

crusso wrote:
Heaven forbid you have to turn a page or something.

in the future that will be an old idea.

SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

Lantz wrote:
i'm neutral on this topic. i like the idea of the digital book cause it saves paper which means more trees saved, but i love the feel of the paper when i'm reading. Confused

I feel the same way.

granpaturtle
Vintage Newbie

Luke's Mom wrote:
I have one and it is really one of the best things I've ever owned. I figure I have shifted about 27 tons of books over the years.
For sure it won't (or shouldn't) replace all books. For students, or voracious 'anything' readers, or travellers it is wonderful. I'd rather my limited shelf space be reserved for special books and not the Sue Grafton type 2 hour popcorn editions.
Also, it is much easier to read in bed than a paperback. Today my goal is to get the complete Jeeves and Wooster on my Kindle free from Project Guttenberg.

that pretty much sums it up.

For me personally, I have no attachment to textile sensation. I've never invested in a newspaper subscription when I can check washingtonpost.com on my phone.

I don't know about this specific model, but as the technology gets cheaper/smaller/better i'll definately invest in one of these.

can we buy books on itunes yet?
Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

No. The Kindle is totally connected to Amazon. I'm hoping they fulfill their promise of more back list and less emphasis on best sellers.
Good to see you Turtle! Don't forget the Boston open invite.
singsoftly
Golly, Poster

I think the idea is pretty cool, how you can just download whatever books you pretty much want.

for me though I wouldn't get it, just because when I get older and own my own house (within the next 10 years) I want at least one room where a full wall is just one big bookshelf that is filled with all that I've read, and kept a hold of over my life, and to be added to as it continues. The idea of that is then so much cooler to me idk why just is.

When I fly solo, I fly so high.
singsoftly
Golly, Poster

granpaturtle wrote:
can we buy books on itunes yet?

on itunes, there's some books that have been put to audio that you can buy, so you can't read them which i find very wierd. Its also much more expensive, or at least it was for one book i checked out, they broke it down into like 8 sections each costing $9.99 so really not worthit in my opinion.

When I fly solo, I fly so high.

goto page
 | next >>