Laughing City
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

That post that either Boyd or Kim were talking about the fact that Eisley aren't raking in the cash like people think? Something like they don't really get any money from CDs or whatever, I remember he said they got like an 80 dollar check or something. Hopefully someone remembers?

Someone seems to believe that by the time Paramore stops being a band they will have enough money to support themselves forever Rolling Eyes

Granted Paramore has more fame than Eisley, but it's still comparable and this person replies "We'll enlighten me...how much money do bands make?"

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
Last edited by hisownshot on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I believe that was the 17-page thread where Ribbs was in here describing how the industry works...

http://www.eisley.com/laughingcity/viewtopic.php?t=30816&postdays=0&po storder=asc&start=0

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hisownshot
Vintage Newbie

Ahhh yes, thank you Hannah you wonderful lady you!

i'm gonna marry the mars volta.
Joined: 01 Nov 2003 | Posts: 8260 | Location: new hampshire
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

if i'm correct bands mostly make their money off of touring and merch, and im also guessing if you have more than one person in the band, when you divide the money.. it ends up being not that much
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Paramore probably has to be close to recouping the cost of their albums. But I don't know anything about their deal, and they probably have a long way to go before they can retire. I think they've only gone gold anyway.

People are silly.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Eisley probably makes a couple bucks off every album sold.

Say 50,000 copies of Combinations were sold

2 (dollars) x 50000 = $100,000.

$100,000/5= $20,000 per band member. Those numbers are probably pretty generous, and that's not even taking Boyd's salary into account, however he gets paid.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Eisley probably makes a couple bucks off every album sold.

Say 50,000 copies of Combinations were sold

2 (dollars) x 50000 = $100,000.

$100,000/5= $20,000 per band member. Those numbers are probably pretty generous, and that's not even taking Boyd's salary into account, however he gets paid.

Also, that goes against the money the label spent making 2 albums and 2 EPs. Which they have not made back yet.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Tim Kim
Sea Post King

Also pressing the albums, distributing, promoting, tour bus, the never-ending belly a bus has in terms of gas, the list goes on forever. Its essentially business expenses.

But of course they make the touring expenses on tour but its definitely no walk in the park.

As TheAntrider (I am sorry I don't remember your real namee). said, Producing/Recording an album is definitely not cheap. Especially the lavish recording studio where they r
ecorded Combinations.

change is happening.
Joined: 27 Apr 2006 | Posts: 305 | Location: Sacramento, Caluhfournia
theenvycorps
Vintage Newbie

it has become harder and harder to make money as an artist

the ancient label executives are hemorrhaging profits due to downloaders and they are scared out of their minds

so they invented the 360 deal and now they get a part of your touring and part of your merch and even your firstborn - it's only fair right?

mothers keep your daughters away from major labels is all i can say - it is too late for me unfortunately

goodnight and good luck
kingspin
Really Dizzy Admin

I agree with theenvycorps - It's really hard to make any money in music these days. "Back in the day" I was working with Atlantic Records on a deal and it hit right upside the head that I was going to be getting a credit card with a 200% interest rate (recoupment) so I bailed out of it and started really studying marketing and production so that I could do it on my own. Then I decided that it would still be too hard for the little money that you make. Very few band "break out". I remember reading and interview with the Goo Goo Dolls and they had a number 1 album and still had no money.

You have to think about your music as a product and be willing to create it to find audience acceptance. Some people think that its selling out.. but my take is... make your money now so you can pay for your "art" later.

I never continued pursuing a "deal" after a friend went through an ordeal with a major label my eyes were open enough to bag it. I make more money now in the private sector and have a life. Plus I still write my songs and produce other bands from time to time so I get the best of both worlds - just like Hannah Montana (JK)
Joined: 28 May 2003 | Posts: 271 | Location: The Hills of Bountiful