Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

My predicition is always that the team with the best pitching staff will win every year. It's hard to judge now, so I usually have to wait until midseason.

It's a nice system since I can already rule out the Yankees Wink Detroit has a great lineup and some good pitching from Verlander, but Willis is a ? mark. Cleveland is pretty well rounded.

As for the Sox, so much is going to depend on Lester. You know Beckett and Dice-K are going to be good, so he's the key to the season with Schill out. The bullpen will be basically the same, oh wait better with no Gagne!

Also, LOL at Pedro already being hurt.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Maybe baseball will mediocre out again, but I think Boston's staff is tremendously overrated. Becket has only had one truly good year, and even it wasn't more than 3+ era and 20 wins on a team that got a head start in its division and barely held on. And Dice K was not exactly hot stuff last season ... The only guy I think will be top stuff on that stuff is Papplebon, but who knows if they're going to throw that guy's arm into oblivion again. Wait, the new guy, Bucholz or whatever? He might be good, or he might turn into a rookie.

The Yankees have plenty of questions, but I think injuries and how they are as the playoffs approach will matter most for them. I think they look a lot better than some people think (if they stay healthy). Detroit looks pretty scary, but Willis has not been so great, and he's from the NL (aka, one batter off every 9 guys).

And there's going to be some team come out of nowhere after starting sub-.500 and then beat everyone after a hot last month of the season. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

For Boston's one/two, yes Beckett will not win 20 games again but Dice K will win more than 15. The experience he gained from 1 year in the MLB and in America will definitely help out. Anyone who knows the game should get that.

Dice K's x amount of more wins > Beckett's x amount of less wins, imo.

Paps was fine last year with help from Oki. They'll probably go out and grab some help midseason, and there's no way that person will be worse than Gagne. The team dropped off at the end of last year due to normal varience and because many players were given rest like Manny and Schill.

And hey, we all saw how that worked out.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Cubs are 0-2, dropped another one to the Brewers... of course that didn't matter much in 2007 (the Cubs slow start or the Brewers fast start). I think the Cubs were 8 1/2 games behind the Brewers at one point, and still won the division. But I wish the Cubs could get it together a little earlier this season.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

alastica wrote:
Tigers all the way. Werd?

Probably.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Cubs apparently needed to sign more Japanese players as Fuku is the only guy ready to play. Well Big Z was lights out and looks in the best condition he's been since he was 8, but c'mon man, eat a banana once in awhile to stay in the game!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
Cubs apparently needed to sign more Japanese players as Fuku is the only guy ready to play. Well Big Z was lights out and looks in the best condition he's been since he was 8, but c'mon man, eat a banana once in awhile to stay in the game!

Big Z will be okay. Low potassium seems strange, but like you said is easy to solve. And seems everyone played well today. Good to see Such a good job by Dempster, and a good close by Wood. And appears Soriano is back to leading off for good (the hitting second experiment is done, per Lou's comments today). I think they were trying him out batting second in anticipation that they may sign Brian Roberts (and because Soriano has way too much power to be hitting 1st). But Brian Roberts is staying put, and Sori is only productive hitting first for whatever reason. Glad to see them get their first W today. Go Cubs!
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

*cough*Cardinals*cough*
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

Sports are icky.
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

nevernever wrote:
*cough*Cardinals*cough*

Laughing You better small font that! No C... fans allowed in this thread! Razz
horizongirl
Sea Post King

When I saw this thread, I thought it said "Cuba - this is the year!" and then I realized it was Cubs, and that definitely made more sense. Smile
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

hell and no they wont even win there division. There pitching is way to weak. I think the Brewers win another weak NL central this year. as for the world series i want the angels to go but if i had to make a serious prediction.

Mets Red Sox
Mets win it in five

whatupmyasian
Sea Post King

Dodgers over Angels in world series. No bias whatsoever lol!!!
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

This is a post from another forum pretty much summing up why baseball is awesome, even if you take away all the pitcher/catcher vs. batter chess match. It's informal, but still a good read.

Quote:
I can like baseball just for the sound of it over the radio where you really don't have a lot of that chess match stuff being analyzed THAT in depth.
Lots of 'fans' of the game have no idea about any of that pitch-count and creating-space and any of the mind-game stuff going on. they tend to view the game far more simply in a way.

even if it's pretty straight-forward with just the general stuff it's still awesome:
- count is 2-and-1
- tomorrow night is the series finale at 7:05. pre-game show at 6:40. free team-posters to the first 20,000 fans.
- next pitch is a foul. 2-and-2 the count.
- he hit .320 in April but so far in May is only batting .215.
- next pitch is a curve...fouled away again. count is still 2-and-2.

etc etc.
You're just updating the count and filling whatever in-between.
Or you're pausing between pitches and not doing much at all. just their voice saying the count...the pitch...the updated count....over and over.

It's a rhythm.
And the good announcers throw in the occasional story and also shut the hell up every once in awhile to let the crowd noise and sound of one guy on one side clapping and another guy on the other side saying "Cold Beer here" creep into the broadcast.

Ever notice how the crowd sound of a baseball game is completely different than the sound of any other sport?

And then, almost completely unexpectedly, the crack of the bat and the ball sails into the gap and it's in there and all chaos is breaking loose all at once with 2 runners trucking around to score and you hear the crowd making the same kind of noise you have come to know is only the kind of noise you can hear on an RBI double like that:
Noise building and building as the ball is sailing and most people can see it's going to be a hit. But not everyone in the stands can tell for sure because everyone is watching from different angles around the stadium...so when the ball actually does hit the ground or the wall and it's definitely 'in there' it's a little mini-explosion from that building anticipation that this is likely a hit....i don't think he's going to catch that...it's probably in there....woo-hoo!! It really IS a hit.
But then there's the continued cheering of the base-runners coming in to score...followed by a mini-celebration applause that the team actually scored and also an applause-acknowledgement of the batter for his success.

You can practically tell just by the sound of the crowd in what order these things are happening because if you've listened to any amount of baseball on the radio these sounds are obvious and familiar to you.

And then, you go right back to:
- And here's the next batter....ball 1.
But there's a greater anticipation now because we're officially in a rally inning.
As opposed to the sound of pitch after pitch after pitch through a scoreless 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th where it's kind of like nothing significant is happening...but the pace continues...and it just feels right...and really things still ARE happening because it's getting later and later and we're running out of innings/chances in this thing to get it going by golly. And maybe we can get one of our guys further than 1st base at some point and actually get it going. Or maybe the night will end in frustration that it just never happened so we lost 4-1 and we only had a couple close-ish calls on decently hit balls.

So I think the radio broadcasts and their "summer paced rhythm" or something like that which can best be experienced via a radio broadcast is as much why I tend to prefer the game so much.

The sound and feel of a baseball game is simply like no other.
starbucksgod
Vintage Newbie

whatupmyasian wrote:
Dodgers over Angels in world series. No bias whatsoever lol!!!

Angels own Dodgers. Angels are slowly taking over LA Baseball fame, but I was much happier when it was the Anahiem Angels. The Dodgers can keep Los Angelas.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>