Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I have to say I'm pleased with the Phillies. Hard working, solid staff. I'd still prefer a deeper rotation for WS champs, but I don't mind at all. Too bad Tampa couldn't make it more of a series, though. But in my book, it's still better than last year's joke of a series.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Lou Pinella wins NL manager of the year, despite the Cubs being horrible in the playoffs for second straight year. Yes, nice regular season. But with major chokes in the playoffs 2 years in a row, hard to see how he gets manager of the year. Geovany Soto wins NL Rookie of the year, which seems appropriate.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

*hits head*

I totally forgot to post in this thread yesterday when Tim Lincecum won the NL Cy Young award! I knew it would happen, but I'm so happy to see it be official. The kid was amazing this year, too bad I couldn't watch him (I think the Giants had like 3 games on national TV this year, and I don't get their local station so I can't watch them, but I do subscribe to MLB audio league pass so I can listen). I'm so happy he's a Giant, and I've been able to block out his past sins (the fact he played for the University of Washington... (says the Duck fan in me)) and just focus on his rebirth as the San Francisco Giants' savior. Very Happy

GO GIANTS!
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I think Lou did a good job, though I think Joe Torre has been repeatedly screwed out of that award ...

The NL Cy Young was spot on, too.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I think Lou did a good job, though I think Joe Torre has been repeatedly screwed out of that award ...

The NL Cy Young was spot on, too.

Yep. All things considered, Joe Torre should have won manager of the year. And Cy Young - agree Lincecum.
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Ah! But I must respectfully disagree Smile
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

mikep0922 wrote:
Ah! But I must respectfully disagree Smile

About Torre or Lincecum?

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

No, about Maddon winning the AL Manager of the year! I can see Torre winning if it was a life time achievement award, but in respect to this year, it's got to be Maddon! Smile
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

To: Jamie
Re: CC Sabathia's contract w/ NYY

It seems it will be 6 years and over Santana's 137 million. How do you feel about this with all the risks of signing a big guy to a multi year contract?

Also, I'm rooting for the Yanks to sign Manny just to see the drama-llama that would unfold. Assuming that he tries for more than say.. 65 games, how sick would a lineup w/ A-Rod and Man Ram be?
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Well, Torre was in the NL this year, so I can easily stand by my statement. ha.

BNROCKS wrote:

It seems it will be 6 years and over Santana's 137 million. How do you feel about this with all the risks of signing a big guy to a multi year contract?

Also, I'm rooting for the Yanks to sign Manny just to see the drama-llama that would unfold. Assuming that he tries for more than say.. 65 games, how sick would a lineup w/ A-Rod and Man Ram be?

It's probably the move they needed to make, and they are uniquely qualified to offer boats of cash. I'm not convinced he'll manage 6 years of quality pitching, but if he knocks out the next 3, I'll be happy. And I'll be even happier if they get Burnett and Lowe.

And true, if Manny becomes a Yankee and behaves, I'd be very happy. They have not had enough big bats deliver when needed in recent years, and Manny is pretty dang good at that. I just hope they wouldn't offer him a very long deal ...

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
BNROCKS wrote:

It's probably the move they needed to make, and they are uniquely qualified to offer boats of cash. I'm not convinced he'll manage 6 years of quality pitching, but if he knocks out the next 3, I'll be happy. And I'll be even happier if they get Burnett and Lowe.

Big, Long term deals on mid-career pitchers like this blow up more often than not. CC was 6-8 with a 3.83 ERA before signing with the Brewers (11-2 with the Brewers, 1.65 ERA). Yes, he put together a nice 1/2 season right before a contract year. Of course the Yankees can afford it, but I really doubt CC will be better than his career numbers in the next couple years (3.66 career ERA), and will likely suck before the end of his contract. Of course, this is coming from a Cub fan who suffered through the contracts of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

It's interesting this year because there's three players due for pricey contracts that could backfire. Sabathia, obv. because of his weight and overwork, KRod because of his overwork, and Manny because he's a selfish bastard who cares about nothing but money.

Seriously, what's Manny's motivation to play once he gets a 4 year deal?

Both KRod and Manny could end up on the Mets, and Manny and Sabathia could end up on the Yanks.

Besides the catching situation, I'm worried that the Sox are going to stand pat where they are. If everyone is healthy again (Papi, Lowell, Beckett) they will be better than they were last year, but that is unlikely. With the Rays, Yanks, and even Jays getting better it's going to be a bloodbath in the AL East. There's the Teixeira talk but that means either Lowell, Youk, or Papi has to go.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, I'm still wary of Sabatiha. I don't think he'll get his ERA below 3, but that's how it usually is for any Yankee ace in the last decade or so. If he can keep it under 3.50 and win about 18-20 games, he'll be a success. At least if he can do that for a few seasons ... Wait, I should qualify that with actually freakin' playoff wins. The way he has been blown up in the last two post seasons is what actually scares me most. But I have faith he can pull it off ...

Another concern I have is life after Mariano. I think Joba is the best for the job, but everyone is bent on him starting. I think he can be a good starter, but I think it's harder to find that demon closer than it is a good starter. They do have some promising young bullpen arms, but they still haven't been as convincing.

As far as the Sox go, I've never been a long term believer in Beckett (still has only had one good, full season with the Sox, and maybe 2 ever), but I think Dice K will be good for a while. I think the Sox are still best off aiming for pitching, because they'll be able to get runs at home as long as they have Fenway. Papi is getting older, and they'd be fools to let go of any of those younger bats, unless they can get something amazing in return.

My final thought is that they need to move these good teams to those pansy divisions. It's not fair that only two teams at most can make it out of the AL East, but some of these other teams make it in with barely .500 records. The Yanks, Sox, Rays and Jays could all be playoff teams. I know that won't happen, but it'd be nice. ha ha.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Albert Pujols did not take his team to the playoffs, but Ryan Howard took his to the World Championship, so why isn't he NL MVP? Not that I'm a Phillies fan or anything, just sayin.'
nevernever
Laughing Citizen

hey now, albert pujols is totally my hero. Very Happy <3 Cards
Joined: 10 Nov 2005 | Posts: 1692 | Location: orange county, ca

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>