Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

Will the Cubs win the World Series in 2008?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 53

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
I wish the Giants had Instant Postseason Poison, because that would mean they actually make the playoffs...

So be grateful!

Eliminated from the playoffs with ZERO wins 2 seasons in a row, not much better than missing the playoffs
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
uncreative wrote:
I wish the Giants had Instant Postseason Poison, because that would mean they actually make the playoffs...

So be grateful!

Eliminated from the playoffs with ZERO wins 2 seasons in a row, not much better than missing the playoffs

True, but next year is the year! Right? Wink
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Oh! No! Mark Teixeira goes over to the Evil Empire! Reportedly signing a deal with the Yankees for $180 million for 8 years! Mad
gundamit
Golly, Poster

mikep0922 wrote:
Oh! No! Mark Teixeira goes over to the Evil Empire! Reportedly signing a deal with the Yankees for $180 million for 8 years! Mad
Meh. I wouldn't be surprised to see Sabathia and Tiexiera turning in mediocre performances over the course of their contracts. NYY may be immune to the general economy but will regret committing so much money at this point when next year their dollars will go a lot farther. I hope they get "Zitoed" on all their large contracts. Laughing
Vintage Newbie

Zitoed is a good word. The Yanks have already been Pavanoed before, and with Teixiera they may get Giambied. Very Happy
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

The problem with Barry Zito is that he sucked BEFORE he signed a contract, but he just managed to make people think he was still good. Teixeira has played well for a number of teams, and keeps putting up good numbers whilst moving from city to city, which isn't necessarily easy. Also, the fact that he hit well in the post season is good. But I wasn't expecting the Yankees to do that one at all.

Pavano only managed one good season in all of his career, and need I mention that a certain Josh Beckett has managed exactly one good, full season for the Red Sox (and barely another for his career)? He just got lucky by getting a title on that one year. I'm a bit nervous about CC and AJ, but they mostly have better track records, and I'll take 'em.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Well the Giants signed the Big Unit to a one year deal, let's see if he has one more good year in him. What we really need is offense, though...
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
Well the Giants signed the Big Unit to a one year deal, let's see if he has one more good year in him. What we really need is offense, though...

I think Barry Bonds would come back for a 1 year deal... Wink
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:

I think that would be the best fit for him, it's the only city in the world people still love him. He's probably way out of shape now, though. His career is over. But if he could still hit, I'd love to have him back for another year. The Giants don't want that, though. They just want to move on.

Yes, I am a Barry Bonds fan. Before you yell "baseball blasphemy!" just remember that I'm a Giants fan and he has provided countless good memories. I won't wear my Bonds jersey in any city except for S.F., though. Laughing
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:
uncreative wrote:

I think that would be the best fit for him, it's the only city in the world people still love him. He's probably way out of shape now, though. His career is over. But if he could still hit, I'd love to have him back for another year. The Giants don't want that, though. They just want to move on.

Yes, I am a Barry Bonds fan. Before you yell "baseball blasphemy!" just remember that I'm a Giants fan and he has provided countless good memories. I won't wear my Bonds jersey in any city except for S.F., though. Laughing

Sammy Sosa was pretty good in the first 1/2 of 2007 for the Rangers, and everyone pretty much wrote him off before that. So you never know. Not clear that Barry Bonds wants to come back, if he dodges jail time in his March trial, but reports are that Sammy Sosa is looking for a team to latch on with. I'm pretty sure Sammy will be playing somewhere in 2009, but probably as a DH (AL).
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

There's a good question, who would you rather sign, Barry or Sammy? For me it's a no-brainer to take Barry even with his poisonous persona - I'd tell him he can show up for BP, stay in the clubhouse until it's his turn to bat, leave early, and don't talk to anyone. Smile
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
There's a good question, who would you rather sign, Barry or Sammy? For me it's a no-brainer to take Barry even with his poisonous persona - I'd tell him he can show up for BP, stay in the clubhouse until it's his turn to bat, leave early, and don't talk to anyone. Smile

In 2007, Sammy Sosa hit 21 home runs with 92 RBIs and 34 walks, 412 at bats (1 home run every 19.6 at bats, 1 RBI for every 4.48 at bats), .252 average, .311 OBP, .468 SLG.

In 2007, Barry Bonds hit 28 home runs with 66 RBIs and 132 walks, 340 at bats (1 home run every 12.14 at bats, 1 RBI for every 5.15 at bats), .276 average, .480 OBP, .565 SLG.

The main difference between the two was Barry being walked all the time and Sammy not, Barry having more HR per at bat yet less RBIs per at bat. All these stats were skewed somewhat by the difference between the 2007 Giants and the 2007 Rangers. Going forward, I would like Sammy better. Less baggage with Sammy too (no ongoing litigation problem, and Barry has chronic knee problems that get worse and worse every year, with him now being age 44 and Sammy now being age 40ish).
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Manny to the Yankee's, why not? They obviously aren't shy about spending money! He says he wants a 4 year $100 million contract! But that's his starting point, it's negotiable.

Why the Angels aren't biting I don't know! The money I guess, but those numbers with them:.376 batting average
17 homers
53 RBI's

Pretty impressive! What have the Yankee's got to lose?

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

mikep0922 wrote:

What have the Yankee's got to lose?

Hopefully they'll lose 4 games out of 7 when it counts...
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Now that the 'crystal,' is again in the hands of the Florida Gators, it is time to move on to other pursuits, such as Tampa Bay Ray's baseball! With the aquisition of DH Pat Burrel, the Rays have another formidable weapon in their arsenal with which to dominate the American league this season!

Bring on the 'pinstripes' with their zillions of dollars! They'll wear themselves out with the Red Sox! Smile

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>