Laughing City
dylans_vagabond
Sea Post King

Yeah, Eisley made it into Rolling Stone with an article that's more than just a picture caption. I just got this in the mail 3 hours ago: January 22, 2004 issue with Dave Matthews on the cover, p. 70. I'll type it out since it's not on their website yet.

Eisley
Marvelous Things: 2 out of 5 stars
Reprise
A little too marvelous: Melodic family act sweetly explores magical realms

AN ALTERNA-TEEN CHRISTIAN brother-and-sisters act from Tyler, Texas, Eisley trill sweetly about magical undersea kingdoms on this EP, the band's major-lable debut. The pretty, ever-sighing vocals of siblings Sherri and Stacy DuPree suggest that the band has stripped the fairy-tale imagery out of some Smashing Pumpkins songs but left out all the nastiness that made those post-grunge Nineties hits compelling. "The Winter Song" has a delicate melody, pitch-perfect slo-waft vocals and guitars that sparkle like a microburst of Manic Panic eyelash glitter. Marvelous Things is an accomplished, lush and very pleasant limpid pool of music. It will delight the ten-year-olds in the house and challenge not a soul. The title track - a vaguely medieval roll of lacy chords and sensitive tambourine-shaking - is exceptionally winsome and neat. It's not rock & roll. It's music for Unicorn Barbie. - Pat Blashill

I personally hated this review. This guy obviously didn't do the research and the opinions constantly contradict each other. It's funny that a lot of Eisley's fans are college kids and the critic claims it's "music for Unicorn Barbie."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

That idiot didn't even listen to the music. That's all the horrible misconceptions about Eisley rolled into one lame waste of vomit on paper. Any lingering respect I had for Rolling Stone (Who named Pinkerton worst album of 1996) has now evaporated. I'm 23 years old, I guess I like Barbie toys ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ptah
Sea Post King

I got my RS yesterday, but haven't looked at it yet. Can't say I agree much with this review. This person needs to see the band live - then they'll understand.
Of course, they are entitled to their opinion.
Gee, I must be getting younger if they say this music is for 10 yr olds. I'll take being a ten yr old again...
We've found the fountain of youth people...it is Eisley... Wink

P.

www.myspace.com/ptah
cam8833
Sea Post King

I DO like Barbie toys though..
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I might have been too negative in my review review. But it irks me how it's obvious he did no research into this. And I dislike when things are catagorized as "kids" stuff. I read comic books and play with toys. I guess they should have sung about sex and weed. Oh, what marvelous things ... Shocked

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
bgburroughs
Vintage Newbie

Finally, someone is speaking the truth about this "Eisley" bunch--a pack of naive little cuties who need an extra music lesson or two! Mad

Rolling Eyes
Oh well, at least we all know that the music is much more than this joker thinks it is... The only thing that makes me mad about it is that it's negative press to such a large "audience" (the readers). Hopefully people will want to check them out for themselves, though, just having seen the band in RS. Confused
Last edited by bgburroughs on Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
homesick_alien
Vintage Newbie

someone recently posted on their xanga(kelly I think) about movie critics and how terrible they are and I gotta say music critics are just the same

People are of course entitled to their opinions whether it's good or bad about the band but some reviews such as the one above don't give a fair reflection of eisley so all the people who haven't heard the band yet may get turned off checking them out,that being a shame to both the band and to the music fan who will miss out on hearing them.I have a friend who is a music reviewer and he says he gets sent so many cd's he only really checks out the first 30 secs of every track and goes from that....not a very professional thing to do IMHO

the way i look at it is I will check out a band despite what some overpaid idiot from rolling stone or any other magazine says,it's the only way..you shouldn't let these guys dictate what you listen to

Lost at Forum

its all good n well being a music journo for a huge mag, but at the end of the day its one persons opinion, if i wrote for them it would be my opinion, no-one elses and therefore unless it was the bestest piece of music ever written then obviously someone will dislike it, as this person has demonstrated and since marevlellous things isnt the bestest piece of music ever written, then people will dislike it, i love it, ans maybe many people do, just unfortunate that this idiot who doesnt writes for one of the biggest music press in the world, lol. nevermind

point? i dont know, dont listen to all that you read i guess!

thats all,

folks

steven

- Charles Darwin (legend)
Joined: 04 Apr 2003 | Posts: 1296 | Location: Gateshead - good ol' blighty, up north
Nocturnal Dave....
Sea Post King

I've said it before and i'll say it again i HATE Rolling stone and just about everything that it stands for.....

yeah, that was not a very good review.

So Cal Oasis
Lost at Forum

Rolling Stone isn't that bad, i''' read it if they have a cool artist on the cover.

Yea the thing is it's only this one writer that doesn't like Eisley's EP, i'm sure there a bunch of other writers who would've written a positive review if they had been the one reviewing it. The problem is a lot of people take music critics too seriously, they're just giving their opinion.

rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

Opinions aside... I think it's a poorly written review. Yeah... there seems to be some contradicting opinions. Hmmm. Perhaps they got a 10 year old to write it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
So Cal Oasis
Lost at Forum

Now that i've actually read it i'm confused. Does he like them or not?
dylans_vagabond
Sea Post King

So Cal Oasis wrote:
Now that i've actually read it i'm confused. Does he like them or not?

I'm trying to figure that out myself. The only conclusion that I came up with? Pat Bashill=crack head (joke)

Yeah, critics don't change my opinion about bands. But I do get cautious if they bash a new band I was thinking of getting into because I don't want to waste my money. I don't end up hating them, I just get cautious.

EisleyForever
Vintage Newbie

Rolling Stone has no right to review bands in such a genre as Eisley
since they sold out and started putting Britney Spears pictorials in
for the moolah. The rolling boulders would not be appeased.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

yeah, that's a horrible review......

"an alterna-teen christian brother and sisters act"

it's really weird that they would hype them as one of the best things to come out of South By Southwest and then say this