Laughing City
thestormlscoming
Sea Post King

sorry if this is already a topic
i just registered and dont really know how anything works, but yea....
so i saw in one of sherri's journal entries that she wanted to see the darjeeling limited, and i saw it and loved it, so i just wanted to share that. wes anderson is my favorite film maker, i love all his stuff, but i still have a couple i need to see. and im indian, so its funny to see that stuff on the big screen.
but yea, not sure if anyone really cares, but i just wanted to share that =]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

we did talk about the darjeeling in a thread or two while it was in theaters.

this board has a pretty fast turnaround. i just searched for it and could not find the threads.

i like wes anderson as well.
i didn't like Darjeeling as much as his prior films though.

wersindwir
Sea Post King

Yeah... I haven't seen Darjeeling Limited since it came out in theaters but... It was such a great movie. All Wes Anderson is good but I thought this was one of his best.
Joined: 06 Apr 2006 | Posts: 87 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Rb
Sea Post King

Sorry to contribute to the wrong topic section, but I must say that I saw in theatres a couple times, and it definitely wasn't as good as it was watching it at home. Theatres seemed like it dragged on a little bit, home worked perfectly. I just grabbed Bottle Rocket, looking forward to watching it soon here.
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Rb wrote:
Sorry to contribute to the wrong topic section, but I must say that I saw in theatres a couple times, and it definitely wasn't as good as it was watching it at home. Theatres seemed like it dragged on a little bit, home worked perfectly. I just grabbed Bottle Rocket, looking forward to watching it soon here.

hate to tell you, but if you just bought Bottle Rocket, Criterion is finally putting out a special edition of the film.

geofff
Sea Post King

I liked it the most actually, but maybe that's because I've seen all the others so many times.....

It also seemed the most removed from J.D. Salinger's "Zooey and Franny", which Anderson seemed to use as the basis for most of his family type characters, then again, i wasn't trying to analyze this most recent one when i was watching itttt
wersindwir
Sea Post King

geofff wrote:
I liked it the most actually, but maybe that's because I've seen all the others so many times.....

It also seemed the most removed from J.D. Salinger's "Zooey and Franny", which Anderson seemed to use as the basis for most of his family type characters, then again, i wasn't trying to analyze this most recent one when i was watching itttt

I've been wondering how many other people noticed the connection between Anderson and Salinger. All of the religious references in Darjeeling reminded me of the Glass's (especially Seymore and Buddy's) interest in Eastern religion.

geofff
Sea Post King

wersindwir wrote:
geofff wrote:

I've been wondering how many other people noticed the connection between Anderson and Salinger. All of the religious references in Darjeeling reminded me of the Glass's (especially Seymore and Buddy's) interest in Eastern religion.

you're right, I didn't even think of the religious context. I guess there probably was a lot borrowed in that way as well. Maybe "influenced" is a better word
RachelDldy
Sea Post King

I LOVED Darjeeling about halfway thru... and then I fall asleep. But yeah, I love the story. Sweet lime?
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

wersindwir wrote:
geofff wrote:

i think he openly admitted it when interviewed about Royal T's.

geofff
Sea Post King

bigideas wrote:
wersindwir wrote:
geofff wrote:

i think he openly admitted it when interviewed about Royal T's.

Yeah, I seem to recall reading that somewhere. There's nothing wrong with borrowing different pieces for a story line, it happens more often than not. I just wish, especially with the Royal Tennebaum's, that it wasn't so direct. But maybe it's more of an homage than anything? Haha I guess the bottom line is that I enjoy all the movies regardless....
dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

some critic once described wes anderson movies as a casting call for The Catcher in the Rye. he definately takes from Salinger in many ways. I think that's why i love him so much. I guess I don't mind the really direct references, because it's so much better than if someone actually tried to make Salinger's stories into movies. Better to have a homage than an awful adaptation.
wersindwir
Sea Post King

Yes, yes.

I agree.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

dont_panic wrote:
some critic once described wes anderson movies as a casting call for The Catcher in the Rye. he definately takes from Salinger in many ways. I think that's why i love him so much. I guess I don't mind the really direct references, because it's so much better than if someone actually tried to make Salinger's stories into movies. Better to have a homage than an awful adaptation.

what are some examples as to how he takes from Salinger.
all i've read of his is Catcher and i've forgotten most of it by now.

dont_panic
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
dont_panic wrote:

what are some examples as to how he takes from Salinger.
all i've read of his is Catcher and i've forgotten most of it by now.

max fischer from rushmore can most definitely be compared holden caulfield: both are weary of making relationships and have harsh views of reality. also, they are both suffering the loss of a family member. of course, there are quite a few differences (holden is upperclass, max has more drive to be successful).

the royal tenenbaums is the big one, though. it's hard to describe if you haven't read any of salinger's glass stories. basically, the glass family consisted of seven "genius" kids, who kind of fell apart when they reached adulthood. direct references are in ritchie's suicide attempt (like Seymour Glass), the fact that they live in new york, all of the children come home when they are in crisis ("Franny and Zooey"), and their upperclass status.

wow, I could go through so much more, but I have to go to class. maybe i'll edit with a more indepth stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_family

wikipedia mentions the influence briefly.