Laughing City

Your feelings on Coldplay
I love them.
36%
 36%  [ 39 ]
I dispise them.
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
I like some of the stuff they do, but not everything.
57%
 57%  [ 61 ]
Que es Coldplay?
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 107

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
On the other hand, I hate that there are only 10 tracks on it. Seriously.

why?

Jared x
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Jared x wrote:

why?

Because Coldplay is one of those bands that has sooo many songs that never get released. They have a million B-Sides. Why limit this CD to only 10? Plus, a while back they had talked about two major song releases that would not be on the album. If they are that major to be talking about them way back when, then why not up the official track list to 12 and add those in? It's not like 12 songs is excessive. If anything, 10 songs is on the verge of being too short for a CD.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Jared x wrote:
bigideas wrote:
Jared x wrote:

why?

Because Coldplay is one of those bands that has sooo many songs that never get released. They have a million B-Sides. Why limit this CD to only 10? Plus, a while back they had talked about two major song releases that would not be on the album. If they are that major to be talking about them way back when, then why not up the official track list to 12 and add those in? It's not like 12 songs is excessive. If anything, 10 songs is on the verge of being too short for a CD.

i'm thinking with all the experimental talk and at least one multi-part song that this will still be a long album. if they songs are good, you won't care how many or how long it is. i think Talking Heads - Remain in Light has only 9 tracks. Talk Talk - Laughing Stock i think only has 7 but it doesn't feel short at all. i think some of the Zeppelin albums are under 10 songs but still feel like complete albums.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It pains me that I didn't save this, and that I can't find it ... But there was this awesome interview on the topic of Internet fans (I think), and Win Butler from Arcade Fire said something like if an album feels like it is 10 songs or 20, you don't mess with it. If you have the freedom to pretty much make an album as you see it, the album feels a certain way to you and that's the way it should be.

I agree with him completely. An album is an artistic statement, and they suffer badly when it turns into meeting requirements or tossing in a few extra songs because you have them.

And yeah, like Bigideas touched on, a lot of classic albums are much shorter than today's average. I don't think vinyl was that limiting time wise, either. We seem to be trying to squeeze songs in for value, but we hardly even pay for music anymore.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I don't think vinyl was that limiting time wise, either. We seem to be trying to squeeze songs in for value, but we hardly even pay for music anymore.

i don't think you could put over 40 minutes of music (20 mins on each side) on vinyl, so that is why records of that time period are usually around 30+ mins.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

i'm on the Coldplay e-mail list. it also has the cover art:

Coldplay.com to give away new single
We're very pleased to announce that Coldplay's new single, 'Violet Hill', will be available as a free download exclusively from Coldplay.com for one week starting tomorrow, Tuesday April 29th, at 12.15pm UK time. This is a full week ahead of the single's conventional paid-for digital release, on Tuesday May 6th.

Then, on Wednesday May 7th, there will be a free limited edition 7-inch vinyl of 'Violet Hill' on the cover of NME magazine, backed by the exclusive B-side, 'A Spell A Rebel Yell'.

Jared x
Lost at Forum

bigideas wrote:
Coldplay.com to give away new single
We're very pleased to announce that Coldplay's new single, 'Violet Hill', will be available as a free download exclusively from Coldplay.com for one week starting tomorrow, Tuesday April 29th, at 12.15pm UK time. This is a full week ahead of the single's conventional paid-for digital release, on Tuesday May 6th.

Yeah, I just saw that. Apparently 12:15pm UK time = 6:15am CST. Guess I'll be able to wake up and listen to it before class tomorrow. Smile

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

something tells me this cover is going to be joked about*.
are those man boobs?

*is it a joke maybe?

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

That's a woman. I think it's funny that the lettering just barely covers the nipplage. Very silly, censoring an old painting, or the way they "cleverly" got around full censorship. **edit** Well, I can't really see the picture so maybe they didn't censor it.

I'm sort of a casual fan of Coldplay. One of their songs I thought was U2 when it came out. I have Rush and X&Y. Pleasant to listen to, some of the songs are really good, some seem rudimentary and bland. I don't understand why there's so much hate for X&Y, it sounds like Rush to me. Maybe tha's why people hate it? I really don't listen to them that much though.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Nowhere Man wrote:
That's a woman.

i wasn't sure, but now i notice a dress. back in that time men did wear wigs. it is odd to have a painting like that as the cover for an 'experimental' album though. here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Leading_the_People

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I wonder why that one guy doesn't have any pants on. Maybe the battle caught him off guard or somebody thought he had better pants than them and "Why let a good pair of pants go to waste on a corpse?"

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
something tells me this cover is going to be joked about

Seriously. What the hell?! This does not make me optimistic for the album.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I can't believe I actually bought X&Y. Thanks capitalism.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Oh boohoo. Rolling Eyes

I put in my e-mail to get the free song, but I have yet to receive it in my e-mail. I bet the website is running rather slow at the moment.

EDIT: It doesn't really sound like them. I like it.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I got my download link immediately.

PROS: Johnny Buckland solo. Edgy sound. Decent melody.

CONS: "December"/"remember" rhyme in the first two lines. Lame chorus. Bizarre reverb and massive compression. Oasis-like vocal stylings. Chris-only outro which could have been a bridge before going back to loud instrumentals in the end. Will seems incapable of playing fills.

I'd love to hear more of the lyrics because it seems like they actually tell a story instead of stringing together random words, but they're drowned out for much of the song. Maybe once there's a 320 kbps or CD-quality version I'll be able to pick them out without all that stupid compression.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>