Laughing City
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

http://www.playbackstl.com/content/view/7523/158/

there it is. Enjoy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

Wow...I loved that. Thanks for posting the link. Smile
norad
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

Agreed.

P.S. - You're suppose to credit photographers.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:

Agreed.

P.S. - You're suppose to credit photographers.

I am responsible for the text, and sent in a picture from eisley.com credited to Boyd Dupree, but they went another route. I don't know if they pulled that from their Archives, given they have had several staff photograhers over the years and Eisley's played a handful of St. Louis dates, or they got it from online. It's a mystery to me honestly. This is the first piece of mine for Playback. You might want to email the editor though, if you know whose photo it is.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Kimbrtones wrote:

Thanks for the compliment. Good shows inspire repressed writers, so my piece must reflect the quality of the show, cause I'm not a good writer. I came as a fan who previously had only one music review posted online for the Jeff Buckley International Newsletter (A Rachel Sage album back in 2000 or so). Thus, I am not a journalist, just a music lover who was so motivated that I told myself, " I am at this awesome show, and I don't know if any press is, Somebody had to get the word out!"

Let that be a lesson to everybody. We can all play a part.

Luke's Mom
Sea Post King

Will Smith Jr: That was quite some writing sir. I will never look at Eisley's banter in quite the same (dis)regard. I think you have something there.
It is wonderful to see creativity and originality in a piece. Very rare these days. Thank you.
Joined: 26 Jul 2004 | Posts: 420 | Location: Cranberry Bog, MA
ghost in the snow
Golly, Poster

They played Telescope Eyes?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ghost in the snow wrote:
They played Telescope Eyes?

Yup, I remembered cause I got the Eps, and that was one of the few songs I can mumble along to and then belt the hook, like Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire singing Free Falling. Plus, most kids who got picked on, even a little, can really relate to that song I think, so I'm am very confident on them playing that one! I wish they had an Emoticon that was just a Thumbs Up. That would be my go to, or a fist for solidarity.
Anyways, Yes they did.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Luke's Mom wrote:
Will Smith Jr: That was quite some writing sir. I will never look at Eisley's banter in quite the same (dis)regard. I think you have something there.
It is wonderful to see creativity and originality in a piece. Very rare these days. Thank you.

Thanks very much for the praise, it's a welcome pick me up. As for creativity and originality, I am not a writer, so maybe that explains it? I credit an old Conan O'brien skit called "battle of the boutique label tea copy writers" or something to that affect, where two men with faux british accents would volley lines of overly verbose literary descriptions of things at one another, and ultimately settle it in a steel cage to the death. When I said I'd write a review, I told myself "Don't write like that, but don't be overly familiar and casual either, you are not that cool." But that's just me.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

This is how the Banter section was written, but revised...

The banter between the sisters was minimal at the show’s onset, mainly pixie-ish thank yous immediately following songs, but as the night wore on they got more comfortable, and instead of “You guys are awesome!” after every other song, we got:

a false start punctuated by, “Hey, I don’t have my guitar, fine go ahead…” , when Sherri was talking to the audience about "the dreaded New Found Glory tour" as I think she referred to it, and/ or a guy up front's "Cool Headband."

the thinking outloud in front of a live mic moment where Sherri said to Chauntelle, “I wish I could play your guitar instead of playing this one for the whole show.”, to which Chauntelle replied with a curt, “No.”

She (Chauntelle) got the same loving treatment when she quipped, “Whew’, it’s hot up here. I’ve been a little sick, so I’m sweating, are you guys hot?” to which the other sister replied in apparent unplanned harmony “No.” It was family deadpan on par with Fox's Arrested Development.

...It's a silly thing to remember, but I have two older sisters, 3 nieces, and two nephews, and find nothing funnier than the moments when we all just let our guards down and chat it up, senses of humor turned up to ten, skins thick as rhinos, but hearts as open as the sky is wide. I'll shut up now.

Last edited by wilsmith on Thu May 22, 2008 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

wilsmith wrote:
It was family deadpan on par with Fox's Arrested Development.

Love it.

Vintage Newbie

good read.

is there a specific song that you draw Talking Heads comparisons from?

(i just chuckled out loud imaging one of the DuPree girls singing, or preaching rather, lines from Once in a Lifetime).

fernster
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
http://www.playbackstl.com/content/view/7523/158/

there it is. Enjoy

very cool thanks!. i think u might have a career in journalism!
I wonder if it pays well?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
good read.

is there a specific song that you draw Talking Heads comparisons from?

(i just chuckled out loud imaging one of the DuPree girls singing, or preaching rather, lines from Once in a Lifetime).

You know, there was one when I was writing that article, but I'd have to go back and listen to the cds again. I think it had to do with the impression Combinations left. It's more percussive, and has it's funky moments, particularly "Taking Control" and "I Could Be There For You." in particular. This has more to do with the arrangement and aesthetic of the songs. With Talking heads, they mastered being sort of dark but rhythmic and ethereal. Now, the Eisley songs would have to be played 45rpm to match the frenetic energy of some of those Talking Heads songs, but put on the record Remain in the Light, and I think it will make a little more sense cause few bands can pull off catchy melodies, groovy rhythms, and still throw in so many different tones and colors into a song without skipping a beat. But we all are equipped with different ears after all, so maybe I'm in my own little dream world on that particular comparison?

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Remain in Light is one of my favorite albums of all time actually.
Their first 5 records are amazing. I'm so glad they put out those remastered DualDisc a couple years ago.

It ticked me off that the Once in a Lifetime video was not included though - one of my favorite videos of all time.