Laughing City
hahaha city
Sea Post King

I’m not here to bring on more insults, nor am I here to blindly praise Eisley as a diehard fan either. All I’m doing is freely expressing my opinion. So please don't see this as hostility or that I'm attacking anyone on a personal level. After all, this forum was made to talk about all things Eisley – opinions, info wanted, discussion, hype, etc.:

I've been an Eisley fan ever since my girlfriend shared their music with me. When I first heard them opening up for Coldplay in 2003, they were unique and refreshing. It was great to see something different and original. I went to the Final Noise tour – they were awesome. Also, I bought tickets to their acoustic tour last year in the summer and I loved to see how they went from electric to acoustic with a whole new feeling.
I saw that Eisley has what a lot of bands don’t have in this generation - good vocals and harmonizing, and great counterpoint within the melody lines. Plus, their songwriting skills are really creative.

However, just recently, I went to see two Eisley shows: one at the El Rey Theater in L.A. and the other at the Glass House in Pomona. I’m sad to say that I am somewhat disappointed with these past performances.
Eisley’s performance at the El Rey Theater wasn’t so good; there were a number of things that I did not enjoy. The tempo for Go Away was faster than it needed to be. And sure it’s nice to do some improv with the singing, but Sherri lagged in almost every measure of Taking Control and other songs. I noticed that fans had a hard time trying to sing along with her. The El Rey wasn’t too big of a joint, so all the sound had to be condensed into that small venue. I noticed in a few songs that Eisley played their instruments way too loud in such a small, confined space. My ears were so overwhelmed with the loud volume. The music just became distorted. When I plugged my ears, the sound was filtered and sounded much cleaner. If Eisley had just toned it down a little (like for the end of Invasion), the acoustics in the El Rey would be bearable. I know they were trying to be climactic with Invasion at the end, but it was overdone.
I know most fans loved the energy and hype given off by the band, but it seemed that it had affected their overall musical performance. I read that in one of the posts that Sherri had gotten so caught up in a trance while she was singing. I agree that she slips into trances, but it seemed as if she didn’t pay enough attention to the band. Eisley doesn’t complement each other as well as they used to. One member isn’t supposed to unnecessarily stick out or overpower others in a band. I could barely hear Stacy’s voice under Sherri’s, even when Stacy was singing lead. It seems that Sherri, at a failed attempt, was trying to be dramatic. Instead it came out as yelling into the mic, up to the point where it overpowered the rest of the band and sacrificed the quality of pitch and tone.
On a side note, in my opinion, Sherri used to seem more sweet and soft-spoken, but lately her style of singing and moving seems too emo for Eisley as a whole. It’s the very low guitar, the ripping of the strings, and the violent movements. For example, it seemed almost as if Sherri was about to pull out her hair. And I thought to myself, “No, not the hair.” But hey, some people like her new reinvention, so I’ll stop right there.

But I said NOO, I should give Eisley the benefit of the doubt – everyone’s entitled to a bad day, of course.

So I saw them in Pomona at the Glass house. It was pretty much the same as the El Rey show. Sad

They weren’t all that bad, it just could have been better. However, I loved the way they spiced up the intros of ODISFA and ICBTFY. Man that was pretty good. Eisley has had some breath taking performances, but I guess it must be hard to keep outdoing such great previous shows.

I also understand some of the Eisley members are going though LIFE, and I extend my sympathy to them but I just thought I would share my observations on the band and their recent performances.

Eisley can’t please everyone, that’s just not reality. There will always be critics and opinions some of you may not like to hear. And that’s reality.

To me, the balance of music is very important. I care more about the music quality rather than the overall stage presence of the band - fancy clothing, movements they do on stage, emotional input, etc. Those aesthetics are just the tip of the iceberg for me. The sound quality and balance is everything else. All of the visual stuff came in to play and interfered with the quality of the actual music that was heard. But I still think Eisley has come a long way even though I like their earlier performances much more. To me they are still the second best musicians that have ever come out of Texas Wink
Binary Dragon
Sea Post King

I'm not going to say I disagree with you anywhere, because I think you have some valid points. However, I'll say what I told my friend at the concert last night when she wasn't really able to hear the vocals of The Myriad. Who goes to a rock concert for the high quality sound? If that's what you're looking for, you would listen to the CD in an isolated room. A concert is about seeing the band, about fully experiencing the music with more than just your ears.

For what it's worth, they didn't get it wrong everywhere. At the Tucson show the sound was perfectly mixed, but for Chauntelle's guitar being a bit too loud (though I was less than an arm's length away from her, so that's to be expected). Sometimes it's really the venue's fault for their setup being what it is that night.

Vintage Newbie

Sherri seems to be singled out a bit these days...
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I'm beginning to see a trend with people who join LC only to make one post about how disappointed they are with the performances on this tour. Confused I don't think any of your comments were as disparaging as those in that other locked thread, and you are most certainly entitled to have your opinion and post it here. It just seems funny that twice now in the span of about a week, the first thing posted by a new member (but old fan) has been about how the show didn't live up to expectations.

I do agree with Binary Dragon--rock shows in tiny clubs aren't supposed to be perfectly mixed, or even decently mixed. I have yet to attend a show in a smallish venue where the sound was anywhere near ideal. And that is something the band has almost no control over, so saying Eisley should have "toned it down a little" is inaccurate.

In defense of Sherri, it is unbelievably difficult to be on-key and on-tempo 100% of the time during a rock performance. You simply cannot duplicate the conditions of recording (and I'm not talking about auto-tune). Many artists sacrifice accuracy for emotional impact in a live environment. See also: Thom Yorke.

Since this thread is all about opinions, here's mine: your expectations were too high and you're awful nitpicky about some things, like the tempo on "Go Away" and Sherri's hair-pulling. It's hard to envision you enjoying any live show if minor things like that bother you so much.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
Last edited by Saellys on Tue May 20, 2008 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

It's odd that you are another first time poster whose first post is a critique. If you are truly a first time poster then fine, otherwise people should own up to their opinions.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

I think a lot of people are confusing off tempo singing and changing the songs up for live shows. They changed the beat a little on ICBTFY and Taking Control in a few places. They're not singing off tempo, just not singing exactly like the studio versions. Artistic license ftw.
Sea Post King

[quote="Binary Dragon"]I'm not going to say I disagree with you anywhere, because I think you have some valid points. However, I'll say what I told my friend at the concert last night when she wasn't really able to hear the vocals of The Myriad. Who goes to a rock concert for the high quality sound? If that's what you're looking for, you would listen to the CD in an isolated room. A concert is about seeing the band, about fully experiencing the music with more than just your ears.

For what it's worth, they didn't get it wrong everywhere. At the Tucson show the sound was perfectly mixed, but for Chauntelle's guitar being a bit too loud (though I was less than an arm's length away from her, so that's to be expected). Sometimes it's really the venue's fault for their setup being what it is that night.[/quote]

You do hold some good arguments, binary dragon. Personally, I go to concerts for the sound. Eisley go on tour for promotion and so that other people could hear them. At concerts it’s their time to let loose to show off their musicianship skills and how great of a band they are. And they can be great, of course. It’s such a raw feeling to hear live music. Hearing live music is totally supposed to be the best in my eyes, but its true people do go just for the experience. So I think it definitely goes both ways. Everyone has a different preference.
hahaha city
Sea Post King

[quote="patrock"]Sherri seems to be singled out a bit these days...[/quote]

Yeah, poor Sherri. Sorry to come off that way.. Don't worry, there's still plenty of people who immensely love her, hands down.[/quote]
hahaha city
Sea Post King

[quote="Saellys"]I'm beginning to see a trend with people who join LC only to make one post about how disappointed they are with the performances on this tour. Confused I don't think any of your comments were as disparaging as those in that other locked thread, and you are most certainly entitled to have your opinion and post it here. It just seems funny that twice now in the span of about a week, the first thing posted by a new member (but old fan) has been about how the show didn't live up to expectations.

I do agree with Binary Dragon--rock shows in tiny clubs aren't supposed to be perfectly mixed, or even decently mixed. I have yet to attend a show in a smallish venue where the sound was anywhere near ideal. And that is something the band has almost no control over, so saying Eisley should have "toned it down a little" is inaccurate.

In defense of Sherri, it is unbelievably difficult to be on-key and on-tempo 100% of the time during a rock performance. You simply cannot duplicate the conditions of recording (and I'm not talking about auto-tune). Many artists sacrifice accuracy for emotional impact in a live environment. See also: Thom Yorke.

Since this thread is all about opinions, here's mine: your expectations were too high and you're awful nitpicky about some things, like the tempo on "Go Away" and Sherri's hair-pulling. It's hard to envision you enjoying any live show if minor things like that bother you so much.[/quote]

I appreciate you for not taking me as offensively as the others. And it is a possibility that the sound quality was due to the sound tech at the El Rey and Glass House. So I will acknowledge and consider that. And for the nitpicky comment – Ouch. You should see me in amazement at a Coldplay concert. Also in Stevie Ray Vaughn concert, if it weren’t for him being dead already. Vedera was also pretty phenomenal.
And as for Sherri, it didn’t seem like she had much trouble performing better in the past. But that’s just my opinion again.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I don't know if there is much point to posting any criticisms/opinions/advice. Especially since the advice is coming from some unknown sources with no credentials. The band would go insane trying to adjust what their doing show to show trying to guess what will please people. Some say their music is spot on but there is no passion, others say the music was ruined by the passion. Really this post is like the polar opposite of the other critical post. They just have to do what they feel is best and if some people don't like it, that's unfortunate but what could really be done about it, there's always someone who thinks they know what would have been better. I don't know maybe they do take advice from fans to heart and change what they are doing but I'm not sure they should, I dunno, I really dunno, I just dunno, I just really just dunno.
Their sound guy did say he welcomes input about the sound though.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
hahaha city
Sea Post King

[quote="johnip"]I think a lot of people are confusing off tempo singing and changing the songs up for live shows. They changed the beat a little on ICBTFY and Taking Control in a few places. They're not singing off tempo, just not singing exactly like the studio versions. Artistic license ftw.[/quote]

First of all, I referred your "changing up songs for live shows" as improv because that's what improv is. If you thought I had them confused, then I believe you're mistaken. I never addressed it as off-tempo singing.
I guess that sort of improv done there was just not my cup o' tea Wink
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

hahaha city wrote:
And for the nitpicky comment – Ouch. You should see me in amazement at a Coldplay concert. Also in Stevie Ray Vaughn concert, if it weren’t for him being dead already. Vedera was also pretty phenomenal.
And as for Sherri, it didn’t seem like she had much trouble performing better in the past. But that’s just my opinion again.

The other recent "constructive" critic brought up Coldplay as an example of a good show. I never saw them live in person, but I liked their '03 DVD well enough and they seem fairly tight as far as stadium rock goes. However, Chris Martin can sound pretty rotten on some of the live MP3s I've heard--he gets off key now and then, his voice cracks, and the like. Sometimes they have tempo issues (most of their songs get slowed waaaaaay down for shows).

It's easy to gloss over that kind of thing when there's a laser show and a fog machine during "Clocks," and having twenty-thousand people going crazy around you probably makes the whole experience seem a lot more transcendent. Eisley shows are just a different kind of environment. If you took Coldplay out of the stadium, away from the lights and the fog and the screaming masses, and stuck them in a cramped and stuffy club, I genuinely think they'd play the same way Eisley do.

In the five times I've seen Eisley live, Sherri has always been about the same--again, trading pitch-perfect delivery for intensity. I haven't caught Eisley on this tour but from the videos I've seen she's actually a lot more consistent this time around, and I think she's taking good care of her voice (she hasn't lost it yet on this tour). I just think it's kind of funny to see people pointing out faults that I can't find in her performance.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you weren't just doing a one-post hit and run and you're actually sticking around to defend your points. I like people with opinions. Smile

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hahaha city
Sea Post King

[quote="Nowhere Man"]I don't know if there is much point to posting any criticisms/opinions/advice. Especially since the advice is coming from some unknown sources with no credentials. The band would go insane trying to adjust what their doing show to show trying to guess what will please people. Some say their music is spot on but there is no passion, others say the music was ruined by the passion. Really this post is like the polar opposite of the other critical post. They just have to do what they feel is best and if some people don't like it, that's unfortunate but what could really be done about it, there's always someone who thinks they know what would have been better. I don't know maybe they do take advice from fans to heart and change what they are doing but I'm not sure they should, I dunno, I really dunno, I just dunno, I just really just dunno.
Their sound guy did say he welcomes input about the sound though.[/quote]

Of course there's a point to posting opinions - that's one of the reasons why Laughing City and the 1st Amendment is around in the U.S.. What I have said is strictly opinions - absolutely no advice. I don't have credentials, and I'm pretty sure you or Eisley don't either. Besides, who needs credentials in the rock music biz? I definitely don't expect Eisley to take these opinions to heart. It is just my opinion as I've stated before. I know many people enjoy Eisley to the max, but realistically, there will always be a handful of people who are not so crazy about them. I'm posting my opinions because it's always nice to get constructive feedback from others like you, for example.
hahaha city
Sea Post King

[quote="Saellys"][quote="hahaha city"]And for the nitpicky comment – Ouch. You should see me in amazement at a Coldplay concert. Also in Stevie Ray Vaughn concert, if it weren’t for him being dead already. Vedera was also pretty phenomenal.
And as for Sherri, it didn’t seem like she had much trouble performing better in the past. But that’s just my opinion again.[/quote]

The other recent "constructive" critic brought up Coldplay as an example of a good show. I never saw them live in person, but I liked their '03 DVD well enough and they seem fairly tight as far as stadium rock goes. However, Chris Martin can sound pretty rotten on some of the live MP3s I've heard--he gets off key now and then, his voice cracks, and the like. Sometimes they have tempo issues (most of their songs get slowed waaaaaay down for shows).

It's easy to gloss over that kind of thing when there's a laser show and a fog machine during "Clocks," and having twenty-thousand people going crazy around you probably makes the whole experience seem a lot more transcendent. Eisley shows are just a different kind of environment. If you took Coldplay out of the stadium, away from the lights and the fog and the screaming masses, and stuck them in a cramped and stuffy club, I genuinely think they'd play the same way Eisley do.

In the five times I've seen Eisley live, Sherri has always been about the same--again, trading pitch-perfect delivery for intensity. I haven't caught Eisley on this tour but from the videos I've seen she's actually a lot more consistent this time around, and I think she's taking good care of her voice (she hasn't lost it yet on this tour). I just think it's kind of funny to see people pointing out faults that I can't find in her performance.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you weren't just doing a one-post hit and run and you're actually sticking around to defend your points. I like people with opinions. Smile[/quote]

Now that you put it that way, I kind of see what you mean about Coldplay's spectacle. It's nice to talk to someone who has a decent knowledge of music.
As you said earlier, it's pretty impossible to be 100% accurate and on-tempo 100% of the time during a rock show, even for Sherri.
Thanks for the input.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Hmm yeah the advice thing wasn't aimed at you so much really, there has been plenty of advice coming from an arrogant higher authority type stance before, in the other thread for example. I don't know if "credentials" was the right word but I definitely think Eisley has "it" about their own music. Here's my opinion, Eisley should do what they want, they've already said they aren't reaching for super-stardom, just to make enough to get by and keep making the music they want to make.

What I mean by there being no point to opinions is that I'm not sure if peoples opinions should hold any weight with the band as far as changing what they are doing because they could be coming from anybody, a 12 year old kid or a half-deaf old guy (sorry to be agist) but ya know. I'm just repeating myself bleh. Obviously without opinions being posted there wouldn't be much of a forum.

Maybe they do suck big time and need people's help to figure out what they're doing wrong, I dunno, I just dunno, I just really just really dunno.

I don't think they give refunds by the way. Wink

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX