Laughing City
motion sickness
Sea Post King

I really like Eisley overall but the Sacramento show was a disappointment. Not because of their performance but because of the sound setup.

The melodies and harmonies are really beautiful but when the sound is that high in a little club like the Empire it all just gets lost.

Vedera didn't seem to have that problem and I was blown away by them. Great performance and the sound came through very well.

The Myriad were just boring.

Anyways - Big Eisley fan but disappointed by the sound production.
jlbernst
Sea Post King

psh. eisley doesnt need fancy sound set ups and working lights to do an amazing show, it was great anyways
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I agree, the sound during Eisley's set was horrible.
Multiple factors, whatever.
The band was obviously upset with the sound while onstage.
That has to be one of the sickest feelings ever, knowing that the sound is crappy, but you have to go on.

Vedera was amazing, but I'm sure their sound check was infinitely longer than Eisley's, and they only had one vocal to deal with. Not to mention the lead singer of Vedera's voice is pretty easy to make sound good, IMO, whereas Eisley's vocals are much more delicate.

I felt really bad for the band.
Eh, whatayagonnado? No time plus big square room equals bad sound sometimes.
Joined: 31 May 2004 | Posts: 2018 | Location: Sacramento, CA
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

jlbernst wrote:
psh. eisley doesnt need fancy sound set ups and working lights to do an amazing show, it was great anyways

I agree.
but I'm a long time fan.
If I was a snotty indie scenster who had just recently heard of Eisley, I might feel differently.

And props to Eisley for keeping up even when a bunch of kids left the show mid set. And I stress the word "kids" because I have a hunch they only left because it was way past their bed-time. Smile
fernster
Sea Post King

I was there too. And frankly I blame the venue. It was a cement box with no lights and a bad system. Still, Eilsey did the best they could which shows how pro they really are.
And all I can say is if you all would
of come down to the SF show,you would of seen the
best sounding, high energy, crowd into it till the end show of shows!!
It was that good.

Very Happy

cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

fernster wrote:
I was there too. And frankly I blame the venue. It was a cement box with no lights and a bad system. Still, Eilsey did the best they could which shows how pro they really are.
And all I can say is if you all would
of come down to the SF show,you would of seen the
best sounding, high energy, crowd into it till the end show of shows!!
It was that good.

Very Happy

grrr.. I wish I hadn't had to work this morning at 4:15am...
I was all set to go!
I'm glad they had a better night.
Rb
Sea Post King

Yeahh, well since it is a dance club I think the speakers were setup to blare rather than produce well. There were several times where I had to back away when getting hit with such heavy sound. Granted it took none away from the performance, but a lot of times that sound was just so overpowering. I must say that when Eisley came through last time at Empire for the acoustic tour, it sounded so much better, but either/or its not going to put a dent in the next go round visit, if they decide to come again!
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
adrayen
Sea Post King

The show was deffinitly awesome! The sound wasnt too great...but they still sounded amazing! Vedera and The Myriad were..wow! Vedera was my favorite of the 2 of them. Eisley's set was awesome. One of the best shows I've been to.
I took some video of the show. I havent uploaded all of it though since youtube has been so slow the past 2 days.
http://www.youtube.com/user/adrayen

Also here's some (crappy) pictures!

Oh, here is the story behind the Jelly Belly's. I live in the city with one of the 2 Jelly Belly Factory's so I thought it would be a good idea to get Eisley Jelly Bellys straight from the factory! Haha. Sherri & Chauntelle seemed pretty happy..Sherri was like "I looove these!! Oh they have to be in the picture!" haha.

My 3rd Eisley show and it was the best.

motion sickness
Sea Post King

Don't get me wrong - Eisley is fantastic, they don't need lights, smoke, and all that production at all. I'm saying the "production" part really took away from what I think their strongest points were.

I don't blame them a bit, they seemed technically very sound.

I just hope next time I see them the sound is setup differently. Something unplugged would be great.

I shouldn't admit it - but I left that show early because of the sound. Sad Partially my fault I should have brought some ear plugs - I just didn't expect those volume levels at a club that small with what I consider more of a "finesse" band like Eisley.

Edit: I've been to that Jelly Belly Factory! Fun times! Right across from the Budweiser place, right?
adrayen
Sea Post King

Wow..I cant believe you left early..I dont think the sound was THAT bad..
I mean EISLEY sounded amazing but yes, the sound could've been a lot better..
Oh I do remember Sherri saying after the 2nd song "Wow about 15 peopole lft just now..I hope we aren't sucking that bad"
Yup it's right next to the Budweiser factory! haha

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

That venue is pretty awful for sound. They use 18in speakers for low mids. (18s generally don't even sound that great as subs.) When we showed up, several of their speakers were physically hitting the grills every time a loud bass sound came through. When we played there with Switchfoot, they brought in a nice line array system to replace the house system, and it still didn't sound that great. (Althought it was way better.)

Speaking of Vedera, their sound stands up very well to bad venues. They have much less happening sonically than Eisley, so the sound doesn't get cluttered much, even in awful rooms. And their sound guy, Corey, is awesome. They are very fortunate to have him. Leading up to this tour, they were scrambling to find someone... the first time they met him was a couple days before this tour started. He's only 20 years old, and he is already very good. And Vedera has good songs. I definitely recommend getting to the show early enough to catch Vedera.

Also, Eisley never really knows how a show sounds when they're on stage. They mostly only hear their in-ears/monitors. Apart from Sherri, they are all on in-ears, and have pretty much the same mix every night.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

^ What are you like the soundguy or something? Wink

An anecdote: I've used in-ear/headphone monitors a lot during gigs, but I've never really gotten used to them. They feel so intrusive, like I can't hear how the sound mixes. I have a bad habit of never trusting the soundman, so I always try to adjust my playing to what I can hear from the housemix. I don't play too many rock gigs anymore, so maybe I'll never have to get used to them, Laughing

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Envenomed627
Sea Post King

motion sickness wrote:

HAHA. So glad someone else agreed. At the show i went to, people were like, entranced by them.. I was just kinda bored. I dont get impressed by bands that I've heard 10000s of other bands sound exactly like them.
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Envenomed627 wrote:
motion sickness wrote:

HAHA. So glad someone else agreed. At the show i went to, people were like, entranced by them.. I was just kinda bored. I dont get impressed by bands that I've heard 10000s of other bands sound exactly like them.

Hmm, that's slightly disappointing. I hope I enjoy them in San Antonio. Were you familiar with any of their songs though? I'm sure that would have helped at least a little.

Envenomed627
Sea Post King

that's true. I haven't heard much of their stuff before, but in my opinion they were nothing special, but hey, that was just me out of a room full of other people so maybe I'm wrong Wink

goto page
 | next >>