Laughing City

Regarding Dr Dog...
dude, you're so behind, I already have all their albums.
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
I've heard some of their stuff, it's nothing to fawn over.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
I've never heard of them, but I'm open to new music.
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
the band name is so stupid I would never, ever even give them a chance.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
eye deenk Ima gunna lyke dis.
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

A well timed bump, none the less. They're playing live at ACL right now and you can stream it here.
Vintage Newbie

Mooncutter wrote:
A well timed bump, none the less. They're playing live at ACL right now and you can stream it here.

yeah, i listened to a lot of it while working.

most of what i heard was off of Fate.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
tahruh wrote:
Uh...I answered your question, then realized you bumped an old thread.

i wanted to share something on a band, did a Search, and came to this thread.

how would you rather i do it?
Lol, WTF are you talking about, son? I answered your question and then realized you bumped an old thread, therefore you weren't as late on finding the band as I jokingly said you were. Why is everyone so butthurt this week?!
boone
Vintage Newbie

I love Dr. Dog, and am excited about the prospect of a new album, but I am very wary to compare them to The Beatles, and it kind of makes me cringe when people do. And they do a lot. They sound more like a soul band. Now, a lot of The Beatles songs had tons of soul, so I'd be more apt to say that they were influenced by music that influenced The Beatles. A handful of songs on Fate are basically gospel songs. Listen to "100 Years" and "My Friend" and tell me that's not gospel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
bigideas wrote:
tahruh wrote:
Uh...I answered your question, then realized you bumped an old thread.

i wanted to share something on a band, did a Search, and came to this thread.

how would you rather i do it?
Lol, WTF are you talking about, son? I answered your question and then realized you bumped an old thread, therefore you weren't as late on finding the band as I jokingly said you were. Why is everyone so butthurt this week?!

are you a rabid anti-hemorrhoid-ite?*

cringe? that doesn't mean every song sounds Beatle. i hear a lot of The Band comparisons, but i'm not too familar with them other than when they're on Dylan records.

if a lot of people compare, there is a reason. i see what you're saying about gospel - maybe that aspect is more rooted in The Band - but there are a lot of arrangement choices and general asthetic that reflects Beatles - and 60's in general.

i remembered there being a few folks on here that like DD, so i decided to be kind (at least in my mind) and pass on this info. now i am not sure it was a good idea.

*sorry, if you weren't really being negative with your response, but i really hate it when someone on a board gives someone grief over bringing back on old thread to continue discussion. why some people (not necessarily you - are so afraid to embrace their past - old posts - is beyond me. yes, i can understand if it's rehashing something, but this is/was not the case). honestly, i didn't even re-read the old post - in my mind there was no reason to - i just wanted to (look at the paragragh above).

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, when I was a newb, I remember certain members freaking out over bumping old posts. It was pretty weird, imo. Like I said, the only reason I mentioned it is because you weren't as late as I thought!
boone
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
cringe? that doesn't mean every song sounds Beatle. i hear a lot of The Band comparisons, but i'm not too familar with them other than when they're on Dylan records.

if a lot of people compare, there is a reason. i see what you're saying about gospel - maybe that aspect is more rooted in The Band - but there are a lot of arrangement choices and general asthetic that reflects Beatles - and 60's in general.

I only say that because it's all I ever hear. If the person who told me about them said they sounded like The Beatles, I probably would have been less apt to give them a chance. I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it, or single anybody out. It's more the reviews that make me cringe. They talk about music for a living, they should try to cut out buzzwords and be a bit more lively with their comparisons.

Another thing is, if you call Dr. Dog something like, "A 60s era pop blend of soul and gospel music," then it would hopefully get more people into that old soul and gospel music. Because it rules.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://www.walruscomix.com/drdog.html

Q: The Beatles and the Band are our two favorite groups of all time. With your soulful blended harmonies, melodic Danko-esque bass lines, searing organic guitar parts, gurgling B-3 and dry recorded “woody” drums, to our ears, your music is a beautiful and unique combination of the two. Were those bands a big influence? What other bands inspired you?

A:
Oh yeah completely, those bands have been on heavy rotation for all of us since we were kids, at this point its sort of subliminal. I do think that those two bands are among what kind of set the standard for us. They’re just undeniably great, it’s impossible to not want a piece of that, not want to get across those same feelings. We’re always, in essence, making music that we can take home and really enjoy listening to ourselves. I don’t find it to be much of a coincidence that those kind of comparisons come up, because in other circumstances, that is what we would be listening to ourselves. Certainly, as you suggested, that’s not the be all and end all of the influences, obviously. Between the five of us, there’s a whole lot of stuff going on. Musically, Juston’s (Juston Stens – Drums) turned me on to a lot of instrumental, cinematic type of stuff… French music... Italian… Zach (Zach Miller – Keyboards) just runs the gamut. If I could own anybody’s Ipod in the world, it would be Zach’s. It’s just packed with everything - all corners of culture.

boone
Vintage Newbie

I read an interview with Toby Leaman in Bass Player about his influences, and he seems to be a huge soul fan. His songs are the most soulful/gospelly of the bunch, too. His favorite bassists are Carol Kaye and James Jamerson, and you can hear it in his bass playing. He's got that punchy, sponge-under-the-strings tone, and that funky right hand, whether he's playing with his fingers (Jamerson), or a pick (Kaye).
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

My first 2016 record to listen to this year was Dr Dog - The Pyschedelic Swamp.
It is a "reimagining" of their self-released 2001 album, which I haven't heard.
Taking a quick read through this thread - I don't think I liked any of the albums they put out after Fate quite as much. I would have to get them back out to talk anymore about it.
I am digging TPS though.
It has a kinda Elephant 6/Smiley Smile feel.

I couldn't remember how I got into the band, but now I see from my original post that it was through Paste magazine.