Laughing City
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

HAtS= Love
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
starnothing
Laughing Citizen

I like the newer version better.

It sounds more raw and rock n roll.

And I like the way Sherri sings "And I love the way your hand fits so nicely in mine"
Oh and the stacy/sherri bridge....so brilliant!
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

i actually haven't listened to HATS in a while...
i'm fixing that right now. Smile

mermaidentwined
Sea Post King

DRMS_7888 wrote:
The rerecorded version is probably one of my all time favorite Eisley recordings, in terms of production. The drum grooves and bass are perfect, the stereo panning is fat, the dynamic range is well utilized (for a pop recording), and the song ain't too shabby, Cool

Plus, Eisley songs that don't fit perfectly into verse chorus verse = win

definitely I so agree- I love the edgier sound of the song- it just shows the whole depth of Eisley

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

I was just floored when I saw it for the first time on the Combinations DVD!! Surprised It's just the best!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

mikep0922 wrote:
I was just floored when I saw it for the first time on the Combinations DVD!! Surprised It's just the best!

You're not kidding. That whole 8 track sequence of live songs from ventura is mind blowing. Pure intensity and atmosphere from start to finish. They have been great live the few times I've seen them, but they were ON that night. It must have been an incredible show. One of my favourite things about those songs that makes them really rock is the drumming. Weston never disappoints, but that night he was drumming his heart out. I don't think they perhaps give him nearly enough leash in the studio.

I'm not sure that HATS and a couple of others from that sequence aren't among my favourite recordings ever by anyone. It's just too bad they're Warner's.

I'm convinced that if they had released the audio of that part of the DVD as an album they would be legends by now; and probably rich ones! As much as I like their recordings they've never quite captured that vibe in the studio. Maybe they should dispense with producers and do their future recording live, in one take, with the engineer that was running the gear in Ventura. Unlike the vast majority of bands, they execute well enough live to pull it off. Exquisitely.
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
mikep0922 wrote:

You're not kidding. That whole 8 track sequence of live songs from ventura is mind blowing. Pure intensity and atmosphere from start to finish. They have been great live the few times I've seen them, but they were ON that night. It must have been an incredible show. One of my favourite things about those songs that makes them really rock is the drumming. Weston never disappoints, but that night he was drumming his heart out. I don't think they perhaps give him nearly enough leash in the studio.

I'm not sure that HATS and a couple of others from that sequence aren't among my favourite recordings ever by anyone. It's just too bad they're Warner's.

I'm convinced that if they had released the audio of that part of the DVD as an album they would be legends by now; and probably rich ones! As much as I like their recordings they've never quite captured that vibe in the studio. Maybe they should dispense with producers and do their future recording live, in one take, with the engineer that was running the gear in Ventura. Unlike the vast majority of bands, they execute well enough live to pull it off. Exquisitely.

Whatever fell off the table on the video side got compensated by the kickass audio, it really does sound incredible. I mean 'Mr. Pine,' come on!! If the HATS solo is epic (which it is), the entirety of 'Mr. Pine' is a saga wrapped in a trilogy. I dare say several of those songs have never sounded better, I've watched that DVD many times and it feels fresh each time & every song a knockout - all killer no filler! They had their magic wands working that day.

lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPxVvup7y5k

That's a live version for the Combinations DVD. It's awesome...Chauntelle really rocks it! She should show her skill like that more often Smile

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
Congratulations
Sea Post King

I caught a live performance of HATS in Charlottesville, VA last Fall, and it was awesome. The setlist had Tree Tops crossed out and HATS in its place. I love both songs, so it was cool. Smile
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 | Posts: 335 | Location: Northern Virginia
Muad'Dib
Sea Post King

I love Head Against The Sky, my favourite Eisley song Smile So glad I got them to play it in London last year Very Happy
Lynn
Golly, Poster

I love this song so much!
Jared x
Lost at Forum

Yeah, the HATS rerecording is great. Now if only we could get Blackened Crown and the ICBT4Y intro in new versions...
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

mikep0922 wrote:

I know it's awesome! I love the way Chauntelle comes in with the guitar in the very beginning and then totally rocks throughout Smile

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
mermaidentwined
Sea Post King

Muad'Dib wrote:
I love Head Against The Sky, my favourite Eisley song Smile So glad I got them to play it in London last year Very Happy

ugh im so jealous!!!!- as a fellow Londoner, I hope we both get to see them again soon, whenever they do another big tour!

ks1990
Lost at Forum

mermaidentwined wrote:
Muad'Dib wrote:

ugh im so jealous!!!!- as a fellow Londoner, I hope we both get to see them again soon, whenever they do another big tour!

agreed.