soupey
Sea Post King

No

1. Scare poopless of getting caught
2. Guilty conscience/bad liar
3. My friends don't drink, let's just call them more "natural" people

kellyvsshark
Sea Post King

I have drank before and thoroughly disliked it. I've lost plenty of friends to alcohol and watched it change them overtime and didn't want that to happen to me. The only "beer" I drink is Root Beer.
gosh, I stinkin' love Root Beer.
leighish
Vintage Newbie

I hate hate hate beer and I don't drink a lot of wine.

But.

Every now and then, when the mood strikes, I'll get a margarita or a vodka martini, or heck, I've done shots of Patron before! My favourite mixed drink is probably a cosmopolitan martini. I don't know why.

But it's rare. So rare. It doesn't take much for me to be laughing hysterically at everything that happens.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

i don't drink becos
1. i dislike the taste of alcohol
2. i have a pretty low tolerance of alcohol, plus i get a reaaaaally red flush from even the tiniest of sips (the asian flush! ..and im only half)
3. im too young to buy any for myself, anyway.
4. i've heard there is a genetic predisposition to alcoholism, and alcoholism seems to run in my paternal and maternal side of the family.

and i doubt i'd be much of a drinker when i do become legal.

-Mae West
redboots
Sea Post King

mellon collie wrote:
underage and don't feel the need to "rebel" by killing brain cells.

+1

santa must like us laughing citizens
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
norad
Vintage Newbie

redboots wrote:

FYI, Santa isn't real. Razz
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

haha i don't drink hard liquor like my friends do at parties, but i won't say know to a classy glass of wine or champagne...
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Kappa962 wrote:
Moderation can be hard, but if the reason you don't drink is that you don't want to exercise the willpower to moderate...I dunno, I think you're not having as good of a life as you ought.

Heck yes it can be hard. But I find it much easier to say at the start "no" then three down the line. Is that a problem? I know my own weakness, and i'm combating it. Am i missing out? Heck no! why? Because I know i'll still have a racous time anyhow!
I can forsee the only two things I'll be missing out is shots through the mouth, which i've never been fussed on anyway, and shots through the eye (a current trend in Scottish uni's! woop! Rolling Eyes ), which is just stupid. I mean, I can't do shots of coke through the eye can i? no. good. That means i'm safe from that side of the drinking culture...

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

"No. All or nothing is easy. But learning to drink a little bit, responsibly? That's a-disiprin. Disirpin come from within."

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
"No. All or nothing is easy. But learning to drink a little bit, responsibly? That's a-disiprin. Disirpin come from within."

good point. Koma, I think it'll be a challenge when i go to uni. To start with. Smile

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
redboots
Sea Post King

patrock wrote:
redboots wrote:

FYI, Santa isn't real. Razz

DANGIT!!!
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

one of the reasons i'll never be able to drink is because it killed my cousin. there's no way i'm touching the stuff. i have before, just to try it. but i didn't drink a lot, just sip. but this all happened before my cousin died. sad day.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
muffinbreath
Sea Post King

its not that i don't WANT to drink alcohol, i physically can't.
when i was 18, i went thru a partying stage that could BARELY pass as a "stage" because it didn't last long.
i would just take shot after shot because the foofy drinks were too sugary and hurt my stomach.
well, shots make you sick. and i've been sick so many times from drinking that i've developed, what's known in the psychiatric world, as an aversion to alcohol.
meaning that if i so much as smell it, my stomach turns. developed by classical conditioning. my brain now links alcohol to barfing.
so, i have no choice in the matter. but its probably good because i have a long line of drunks in the family, meaning that we may have an addictive personality type gene, which i think i DO share because i get hooked on other things (no, not narcotics or anything).
anyways, it was god's gift to me, this little aversion.
greatgood
Sea Post King

tawnysigala wrote:
its not that i don't WANT to drink alcohol, i physically can't.
when i was 18, i went thru a partying stage that could BARELY pass as a "stage" because it didn't last long.
i would just take shot after shot because the foofy drinks were too sugary and hurt my stomach.
well, shots make you sick. and i've been sick so many times from drinking that i've developed, what's known in the psychiatric world, as an aversion to alcohol.
meaning that if i so much as smell it, my stomach turns. developed by classical conditioning. my brain now links alcohol to barfing.
so, i have no choice in the matter. but its probably good because i have a long line of drunks in the family, meaning that we may have an addictive personality type gene, which i think i DO share because i get hooked on other things (no, not narcotics or anything).
anyways, it was god's gift to me, this little aversion.

I'm the same way with smoking. I want to gag just thinking about smoking again.

I love wine and Long Island Ice Tea.

Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

To those of you who don't think you like the flavor of beer, keep in mind it is typically an acquired taste. But it is so very worth acquiring. I now drink soda very rarely because beer has awakened me to how shallow the taste of soda is. If I want a cheap drink with nothing to offer in the way of flavor, I'll drink water. It's cheaper, healthier and more refreshing.

Most people when they were 5 probably preferred a happy meal to a delicious steak, but when they've grown up, know how to get much more enjoyment out of a good steak. It's the same with beer and soda. Or, for that matter, with good beer and Bud Light. (aka flavorless alcoholic water)

I have a history of alcoholism in my family, but I don't have any problem with it. If you treat the drink with respect from the start, there isn't much danger, but there is a lot of benefit. On the other hand, if you start drinking because your friends convince you that it's the cool thing to do....there are probably problems in your future, alcoholic genes or no.

I think you should treat alcohol the same way you treat marriage/relationships. Marrying the wrong person has ruined a lot of lives, but I think it's unreasonable to say that most people should consider celibacy for that reason. The same with alcohol. Treat it with loads of respect, but it's silly to avoid entirely unless there are serious extenuating circumstances.

Yes, you can have an ok life never drinking anything better than soda and never eating anything better than a happy meal. But why would you want to live that life when there are much better options available?

(Just so you all know where I'm coming from, I didn't drink a drop of alcohol when I was in high school/college for the same reasons that most of you have giving for not drinking. Now I look back on that and really regret not drinking with my friends once I reached the legal age.)
Last edited by Kappa962 on Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>