13%
 13%  [ 4 ]
Don't care in the least
48%
 48%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 29

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Last nights game between the Rays and the Yankees was historic because it was the first time instant replay was used! A-Rods homer was confirmed and it only took about 2 min. I say, 'bout time!
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I answered who cares because it's baseball but I like replays as long as their frequency is limited. In hockey they only review goals and NFL coaches get only 2 challenges per game. Replays make the sport fairer but that needs to weighed against how much the game gets interrupted. What are the rules for baseball?
olimario
Laughing Citizen

What is the balance in baseball? Can they be docked an out if they waste people's time?
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

kulvir wrote:
I answered who cares because it's baseball but I like replays as long as their frequency is limited. In hockey they only review goals and NFL coaches get only 2 challenges per game. Replays make the sport fairer but that needs to weighed against how much the game gets interrupted. What are the rules for baseball?
Right now, only to determine if a home run is fair or foul, in or out of the ballpark, or whether or not there was fan interference!
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

I am in favor of it being used as it is now (just to confirm if ball hit is a home run, where there is doubt). It will only come into play about 10-15 games the whole year around the entire league (out of the 2430 games played). And if the call is critical to a team (say regarding playoff implications to get in, or in the playoffs), then they should do what they can to get the call right (fair or foul, over the wall or fan interference, etc...).
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I don't like the use of instant replay in football - yay, now we can make a boring 4-hour game even longer with still inconclusive results! - but it's not the worst thing to ever happen to baseball the way its been implemented. As long as they keep it for disputed homers, I can live with it. Those truly are some of the most difficult calls for umps to see. This review took 2:15, quicker than the time it takes for Bobby Cox to get ejected and leave the field.
singsoftly
Golly, Poster

could care less, it won't change baseball from being the most boring sport.

When I fly solo, I fly so high.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I absolutely support it. I don't think there is any reason not to.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
I don't like the use of instant replay in football - yay, now we can make a boring 4-hour game even longer with still inconclusive results!

I don't have any problem with instant replay in football...
In theory.

Unfortunately, I go to The University of Oklahoma...
So I've got a whole lot against the thing in practice.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
grain thrower wrote:
I don't like the use of instant replay in football - yay, now we can make a boring 4-hour game even longer with still inconclusive results!

I don't have any problem with instant replay in football...
In theory.

Unfortunately, I go to The University of Oklahoma...
So I've got a whole lot against the thing in practice.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Ok, now that I've gotten that out of the way I better settle in because I'm going to be here for a while...

That incident was blown way out of proportion by ESPN. Well, not blown out of proportion, because it was a pretty big deal, but it was handled completely wrong. First of all, I agree with nearly everyone that it was the wrong call. HOWEVER, that is one play out of an entire game! Nobody feels the need to look back on the rest of the game to see if that was the only incorrect and potentially game changing call. I have watched that game 5 or 6 times, and I, with a some decent football knowledge, can tell you that there is one particular Oklahoma TD drive in the 3rd qtr that had 3 bad calls that should have prevented Oklahoma from scoring that TD.

The drive started at the Oklahoma 27 yard line and after two runs for no gain, it was 3rd and 10 at the OU 27. The next play was a 26 yard pass to Malcom Kelly that resulted in a 1st down, however if you watch the replay of the game the ball was CLEARLY snapped AFTER the play clock hit 0. ON TOP OF THAT, Kelly went out of bounds at the 47 yard line on OU's side of the field, but they marked it incorrectly on the 47 yard line on UO's side of the field (this can get confusing for anyone who may be reading this: OU=University of Oklahoma, UO=University of Oregon. That's just how it is, haha). So not only did they get away with a delay of game penalty (should have been 3rd and 15 at the 22 resulting in the fans at Autzen getting even louder and lowering OU's chance of getting a first down) but they also were given 6 extra yards because of the bad spot.

After that, OU completed another pass to the Oregon 35, then Adrian Peterson ran for 4 yards to the 31, setting up a 2nd and 6. The next play was a 31 yard TD pass to Malcom Kelly. If you watch the replay of the game, you will see Kelly CLEARLY pushes his defender away from him just before he catches the ball in the endzone. He appears to be wide open, but that is because he pushed his defender out of the way. That is an easy OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE penalty, which should have resulted in a 2nd and 16 on the OU 41.

Now, all 3 of those bad calls were on ONE touchdown drive. It's impossible to tell what would have happened if the penalties were called, OU still may have scored a TD, but they very well may not have, as well. That is A LOT of help they got on that drive, kind of like Oregon getting A LOT of help on the onside kick (they still had to go 53 yards and score a TD without the refs help after they got the ball back, too...). So, let's take away one TD from each team that they got a lot of help with, the score is now 27-26 OREGON. Either way, we win.

But, again, there is no way to know what really would have happened. I want the game to be played again, at Autzen Stadium, same raucous fans, same beautiful September afternoon. That'll never happen, though...

I guess I just have to hope the Ducks and Sooners meet again in a Bowl soon. Perhaps a BCS bowl this year?

Oh, and let me just add a little story relating to that game. I actually met one of the refs for that game randomly in Couer d'Alene, Idaho. I went to my favorite burger place in the world, a family owned place called Hudson's, and I was wearing an Oregon shirt so the cook started talking to me about football, and I told him "yeah I'm a huge Duck fan. Have you been to Autzen Stadium?" and he said "yeah, but usually I'm on the field. I'm a ref." So we just started talking a bit, then he said "oh yeah, I reffed that Oklahoma game." He said that he told the head ref that Oregon touched the ball before it went 10 yards and that it should be OU's ball, but the head ref disagreed so Steve (Hudson) said "ok, we'll let the replay officials get it right." Haha, it was pretty cool to get an actual refs POV.

QUACK!

(If you haven't noticed, I am extremely passionate about Ducks football. This is by far my longest post here, haha.)
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Hold on...
NOT ONLY did Oregon touch the ball before it traveled 10 yards...

THEY DIDN'T RECOVER THE FOOTBALL!
Allen Patrick recovered the football for OU. The Ducks never even had possession!

We could also mention the "pass interference" penalty on the play before the late UO touchdown, in which the ball was CLEARLY tipped at the line of scrimmage, and the booth ruled on review that the ball was not tipped.

And as far as the delay of game call, first, you have to remember that the ABC clock is NOT the official clock for the game. It's incredibly close to the official game clock, but not 100% accurate.

And as far as the PI on Kelly, you can call holding on any play of a game. Little penalties can be argued all day long.

This call, however, is inarguable. If the officials correctly rule that we recovered the ball, the game is over. If the officials correctly rule that the ball was touched before going 10 yards, the game is over. And unlike little penalties throughout the game, the officials were given the opportunity to spend 5 minutes watching camera views of the play from every angle to ensure the correct call is made.

The PAC-10 is the only conference in the nation that requires the use of its own officials during home non-conference games. When OU played Miami in Norman, it was officiated by ACC referees. On Saturday against Cincinnati, Big East officials will be on Owen Field. Nobody likes playing against the Pac-10 because of the notorious reputation their officials have.

Following the completion of the 2006 football season, the head official of the OU-Oregon game, who was suspended one game for the admittedly horrible calls made at the end of the game, was promoted to Head of Officials for the Pac-10 Conference.

There's a reason OU AD Joe Castiglione has publicly stated that after the Washington game on the 13th, Oklahoma will no longer travel to play against Pac-10 teams.

And as for hoping you'll see us in a BCS Bowl?
Well, the Sun Bowl is around Christmas, so you guys will have plenty of time to make it to Miami if you want to see us play on January 8.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Ohhhhhhhh... nice jab in that last sentence. Well, Oregon has some pretty easy games coming up, but Oct. 4th when they travel to USC you'll see what they are capable of and may reconsider your Sun Bowl prediction.

And that PI on Kelly wasn't a "little penalty" that "can be argued all day long." He planted his hand on his defenders chest pad and gave him quite a shove that knocked him off balance and completely prevented him from defending the pass. I can't find that play anywhere on the internet, but if you get a chance to re-watch the game, pay close attention to that drive. And I don't work for any sports broadcast companies, but I'm pretty sure the clocks have 2 wires coming out of them, one going to the scoreboard, and one going directly to the television equipment. They would have to be using some pretty faulty equipment for those not to be in sync.

Anyway, this has been my argument and my justification for that win for the past 2 years. Point is, the whole game had pretty poor officiating, so much so that I don't think righting one play would change the outcome correctly. There's no way to tell what the outcome would have been if the whole game was officiated correctly, and because of that I humbly claim that victory.

And while we're on the topic of fairness in sports, how about that 2005 Oklahoma Sooners football team. Wink

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288972,00.html
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

It seems like a good idea to me, especially since it helped the Yankees. Laughing But kidding aside, it seems like it will be ok with the proper limitations.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:

And while we're on the topic of fairness in sports, how about that 2005 Oklahoma Sooners football team. Wink

We already got those wins back on appeal.

And I wouldn't talk much about that 2005 Sooners team. I recall them beating #6 Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

JBaker wrote:
uncreative wrote:

We already got those wins back on appeal.

And I wouldn't talk much about that 2005 Sooners team. I recall them beating #6 Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.

Too bad Oregon's starting QB (Kellen Clemens, who is now in the NFL backing up the greatest QB of all time in New York) broke his ankle a few games before and two sophomores were taking the snaps. And those two sophomores would have beat those mighty and cheatin' Sooners if not for an INT with 30 seconds left. Stupid Brady Leaf...

goto page
 | next >>