Laughing City
Lynn
Golly, Poster

seansy wrote:
A lot of people don't play bass because you can't really entertain someone with a bass guitar alone unless your like Victor Wooten ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY )lol.

That was a freaking amazing performance Shocked I couldn't believe that anyone is able to pull such tunes out of a bass.
redboots
Sea Post King

Lynn wrote:
seansy wrote:
A lot of people don't play bass because you can't really entertain someone with a bass guitar alone unless your like Victor Wooten ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9a4ThBNacY )lol.

That was a freaking amazing performance Shocked I couldn't believe that anyone is able to pull such tunes out of a bass.

I saw Victor Wooten... his group definitely a jam band. He's awesome.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
Mylovelyislostatsea
Sea Post King

Kimbrtones wrote:
Bass players are the hardest to find. No one wants to learn bass, but they are always in demand.

Really? I know a couple bass players. Very Happy

rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

seansy wrote:
. Personally i really enjoy playing with the song Sun Feet that song has an amazing bassline, my eisley fav. Very Happy

i love love LOVE that bassline. i have this live version from wayback and i was like "you go jon. play that bass"

i was especially happy when i heard it live myself and Garron does a kickin job on the bassline.

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic
lonelynation3
Vintage Newbie

yeah when i see Chauntelle play guitar, she just immediately always sparks my interest to get better at it. she puts so much emotion to it!

and weston is amazing. Cool

gilbert
Sea Post King

Mylovelyislostatsea wrote:
Kimbrtones wrote:
Bass players are the hardest to find. No one wants to learn bass, but they are always in demand.

Really? I know a couple bass players. Very Happy

it's all situational
theres never a guitar when i need it
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

wow that victor guy is really good. haha i was just thinking today that if i want to play guitar more than drums, i shud go off w/ bass cuz there's just not enough of them in the world. haha, we'll see...my mom's already paid so much for my bro's guitar, a 16-old w/ 4 guitars??? omg, that's a lot of money. i think i'd enjoy drumming better but a bass wud be easier to carry around...
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Yous should learn guitar, it's awesome! One reason I really love it is because it's so popular that I have all these resources, tabs, exercises, music sheets etc. just here on here internet! One thing I also love about playing is the extensive selection of classical, acoustic, and electric guitars there are...it's fun. Once you get really into it it really is very fun to play guitar too.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

redboots wrote:
I play guitar and a little bit of piano, but I always want to keep picking up more instruments (drums, bass). Maybe I should just focus on guitar and get really good at it Smile. I dont know much theory at all which is my weak point.

I think that if you are in a band playing ANY instrument it would be fun. Bass players look pretty sweet when they are playing IMO. Kind of like they are too cool for school... swaying side to side with their index and middle finger plucking out some sweet bass lines.

Yeah you should just stick to guitar considering how many different styles there are and how hard it is to master all of them. I play guitar and violin, but I started guitar first and I absolutely love it. It takes me to a completely different time and place to hear a nice acoustic or classical guitar tune and to be able to play one is awesome!

Another things I wanted to say is that one of my friends plays trumpet, someone band instrument, drums, bass, classical, acoustic, and electric guitar, piano, and many others, but I can't imagine him being great at any one of them.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

I'd have to say go with guitar over drums...Drums are punk rock though, but I love guitar and if to do drums I had to dump guitar I would never.

redboots
Sea Post King

lookingXglass wrote:
redboots wrote:
I play guitar and a little bit of piano, but I always want to keep picking up more instruments (drums, bass). Maybe I should just focus on guitar and get really good at it Smile. I dont know much theory at all which is my weak point.

I think that if you are in a band playing ANY instrument it would be fun. Bass players look pretty sweet when they are playing IMO. Kind of like they are too cool for school... swaying side to side with their index and middle finger plucking out some sweet bass lines.

Yeah you should just stick to guitar considering how many different styles there are and how hard it is to master all of them. I play guitar and violin, but I started guitar first and I absolutely love it. It takes me to a completely different time and place to hear a nice acoustic or classical guitar tune and to be able to play one is awesome!

Another things I wanted to say is that one of my friends plays trumpet, someone band instrument, drums, bass, classical, acoustic, and electric guitar, piano, and many others, but I can't imagine him being great at any one of them.

Yeah I hear ya. I actually have been playing for awhile (8 years?) but feel like I haven't progressed much. I started out on classical, taking lessons, then my lessons changed gears to learning jazz songs and rock songs. Then I stopped taking lessons, so now I just play fun songs... I'm thinking about going back to lessons to learn some theory.
Joined: 30 May 2008 | Posts: 309 | Location: above the tree tops
sharrkmaster
Sea Post King

redboots wrote:
lookingXglass wrote:
redboots wrote:

Yeah I hear ya. I actually have been playing for awhile (8 years?) but feel like I haven't progressed much. I started out on classical, taking lessons, then my lessons changed gears to learning jazz songs and rock songs. Then I stopped taking lessons, so now I just play fun songs... I'm thinking about going back to lessons to learn some theory.

If you don't know theory, definitely learn some. Though after playing for as long as you have, I don't see how you could've missed that much theory. Especially if you started out with lessons.. I'm assuming you know basic notes and rhythms and all that. After that is scales and chord variations and structures that you have to learn, which actually isn't that bad. That's pretty much it for music theory, unless you want to get a degree in music theory or something.. lol.

And as for multi-instruments.. if you're capable of it, I say go for it. I personally play clarinet, drums, guitar, and a little piano myself, so speaking from experience, it's always helpful to know how to play a variety of instruments. Though of course, you should always focus on one while learning it. It's helped me gain a healthy respect for a variety of instruments and it helps you a lot in music theory and technique. Learning how to use your ears is very important in music..
Joined: 10 Mar 2008 | Posts: 136 | Location: Edmond, Oklahoma
Lynn
Golly, Poster

You know, the advantage guitar has over drums is that you can play pretty much any song you wish to, just you with your guitar, which isn't so easy with drums, or so it seems to me.
kathymunster
Golly, Poster

Lynn wrote:
You know, the advantage guitar has over drums is that you can play pretty much any song you wish to, just you with your guitar, which isn't so easy with drums, or so it seems to me.

i agree.
but i do think that drums add a lot to a song.

-Mae West
emilytheanteater
Sea Post King

haha i think they're all good. but hey, i was asking my bro about his guitars and before i even asked, he was like do u want my acoustic????? and i was like, WOW, i was just gonna ask if i cud borrow it for a few months! haha, score for me! but i think i'll end up returning it eventually cuz if all goes well, ima ask my parents to get me a bass. or maybe i shud save that money for that DSLR i've been longing for?? haha...hmmm, music or photographs? i wonder what sherri has to say about this...haha