21%  [ 3 ]
The Skunk, lol
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 14

BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

Don't worry, no one got sprayed yet.

The past week or so something outside under our porch near where our dog's area is was upsetting her. We didn't know what it was but she was sniffing windows near the porch and trying to get to the door which leads to her area when we'd have her in. Tonight as I was bringing her out I saw the skunk and it quickly ran away from the dog's food dish which I can only imagine it has been eating out of.

My dog is a pretty aggressive Jack Russell, so it's only a matter of time before the two clash and we all lose if you know what I mean.

Obviously, we won't be leaving her food outside past sunset anymore, but is there anything else we can do to deter the skunk from making a home under our deck? Does animal control remove skunks? Ha, any help would be appreciated!

If you can't help, who do you think will win in the epically smelly fight?

Nelly the Dog in the red corner

VS.

Defending champ Pepe le Pew (Puw?) in the blue corner

norad
Vintage Newbie

Why does her food have to be outside at all? Question A dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is nasty. I hope she doesn't get sprayed! I think animal control would help you out.
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

patrock wrote:
Why does her food have to be outside at all? Question A dog that's been sprayed by a skunk is nasty. I hope she doesn't get sprayed! I think animal control would help you out.

I get little help from my family in taking care of her. Basically when I go to work she is outside from 8 in the morning until 6 at night when I bring her in. Yeah, it sucks, but that's the situation I'm in.
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Shoot the dang thing with a freakin' 12 gauge, gosh!

Or, put poison in the dogs food (make sure you put the dog in the house for this) and leave it outside overnight.

Problem solved!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Cute dog!
I'd start stocking in tomato juice now though.
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

1. Get a black cat and white paint.
2. Paint a white stripe on the cat's back.
3. Introduce cat to skunk so skunk falls for cat.
4. Get cat to lead skunk away.

But seriously, you could see how much a humane animal removal company would charge. The other thing you could do is seal off the porch with some cheap mesh.

sebas
Golly, Poster

uncreative wrote:

Or, put poison in the dogs food (make sure you put the dog in the house for this) and leave it outside overnight.

Problem solved!

Yea!

or you can take the non-redneck approach and find a company/group of people that will pick if up for you and move it into some woods where it could live

...or you could try doing it yourself with a friend or something, might regret it though Laughing

-Mahatma, Gandhi
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

sebas wrote:
uncreative wrote:

Problem solved!

Yea!

or you can take the non-redneck approach and find a company/group of people that will pick if up for you and move it into some woods where it could live

...or you could try doing it yourself with a friend or something, might regret it though Laughing

Naw, I'll tayke the redneck a'poach. And after, I'm gunna watch some wrastlin' with my woman.
johnip
Vintage Newbie

The skunk will always win. Razz Keep the food inside for a week or so and I bet it will move on to someplace else.
Vintage Newbie

Set up a trap. Maybe this one! Surprised http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfPRz7YAd0

Or this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h01vYEOMXJA
BNROCKS
Vintage Newbie

So she ended up getting sprayed. I had left her food out today because it was drenched from the rain. That and her getting back from a late run around the block found her in a rustle with pepe le pew.

Quote:
I decided to take a quick run around the block with the dog. I had gone out the back to get her since she was outside (around 8:00ish) and I accidently left the back door open when I got her.

So after the run I entered the front door of the house and she ran right down the steps, through the back room, and out the back door. I catched up to her just in time to see that she was wrestling with something. I knew what it was in the split second before I slammed the back door shut.

The stank immediately was confirmation enough, so I told my parents, and then went out the front door to catch my poor stinky puppy. When I initially caught her she was crying differently and frantically then I've ever heard. It was so heartbreaking...

I spent a half hour to and hour cleaning her with tomato juice and probably freezing water out of a hose. I didn't even care about myself, and my clothes are probably ruined because of it. I took a shower with some tomato juice but who knows if it worked 100%.

My bro said that women's douche helps a lot, and I'll probably try that tomorrow if the dog still smells.
pumamina
Golly, Poster

was it bad?
alinicole
Sea Post King

My dog has been sprayed like 3 or 4 times haha. She's also gotten attacked by a porcupine twice. Sucks living in the texas hillcountry sometimes.
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

A douche will not work.

Homemade mixture:
1 liter (or quart) 3% hydrogen peroxide
1/4 c. baking soda
1 tsp. dish detergent

Good luck!

Vintage Newbie

uncreative wrote:

Problem solved!
I say we test these methods on you first...you know, just to make absolutely sure!