36%
 36%  [ 18 ]
You don't vote...
20%
 20%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 50

guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

This isn't a matter of political parties or anything, I'm just wondering what motivates everyone on here to vote the way that they do.
guitargirl
Laughing Citizen

I vote first because I feel an obligation to do so as a woman, because that right was denied for so long. I vote second to advance what I believe is right.

j'ai pas envie d'être un robot, métro boulot dodo
-Kelli
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I vote for the well-being of the world and of America.

I'm particularly interested in:

1. Peace
2. Equality
3. Sustainability

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ride4Jesus
Vintage Newbie

i vote to exercise a right that i am very thankful for. i chose lesser of two evils because there will never be a candidate that i totally agree with, but i gotta choose the person who's values and policies i agree with most.
Joined: 10 Mar 2007 | Posts: 2482 | Location: San Diego, California
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

i really hope all the people who selected "you don't vote" are just too young to.
Protocol Droid

I think people get too caught up in feeling that they have to believe in everything a candidate stands for. I actually think it's a trap ... Sometimes we just have to do what we can to affect the issues that are most important to the nation and world, and to us.

That said, I have already voted (absentee), and I support and believe in almost (but not quite) 100 percent the candidate I selected for president. The issue I slightly disagree on is not something I believe should be handled in the way other people who share my basic stance believe it should be, and I feel he is handling it as well as I could hope. But also, I believe there are other issues that are far more urgent and can be affected realistically.

So I have not always supported every stance of everyone I have cast a ballot for, but I believe we should try our best. If we don't try to speak for ourselves, then someone else will.

Something like that ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

vivalaspopie wrote:
i really hope all the people who selected "you don't vote" are just too young to.

Nope.
I chose not to vote and I'm of age. It's my right, no?

I don't believe a thing from either of the candidates that actually have a chance to win.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

vivalaspopie wrote:

Why?

I do think that informed not voting is a form of expression. Politicians constantly fret over dwindling voting turnout. I might wonder that if historically low voter turnout might not help change the current two-party landscape. (My expression will be a written in vote for a certain Texas Congressman, though. I think seeing stronger numbers for third-party candidates is a better way to change the current system).
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I vote because I can.
I just wish voting was like computer solitaire.
i can just click "deal!" everytime my hand sucks.

oh well. i definitely go with the lesser evil.

and, sorry guys...not voting is not a form of expression.
prove me wrong.

Rb
Sea Post King

I'm 21, haven't registered, don't want to. I don't see the purpose of voting in this election or any election, because sure you can believe in change, but it really isn't contingent on what myself, one person out of California thinks, it is the majority. Since California is clearly a blue state, if I were to place my vote either way, neither would matter because if I choose Mccain over Obama, California majority will be Obama, and what will one more vote for Obama do for California, he doesn't need any more help. I think it would have more meaning to be in a swing state, but California, no need to care, just sit back and watch.
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Rb wrote:
I'm 21, haven't registered, don't want to. I don't see the purpose of voting in this election or any election, because sure you can believe in change, but it really isn't contingent on what myself, one person out of California thinks, it is the majority. Since California is clearly a blue state, if I were to place my vote either way, neither would matter because if I choose Mccain over Obama, California majority will be Obama, and what will one more vote for Obama do for California, he doesn't need any more help. I think it would have more meaning to be in a swing state, but California, no need to care, just sit back and watch.

i think that way sometimes, but then i wonder what would happen if everyone thought that way...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I voted for Nader four years ago, so the first answer is definitely mine. It just so happens that the candidate I believe in this time around is also one of the two political parties the vast majority of Americans actually choose to acknowledge, so I won't be throwing my vote away in this election.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I voted for Nader four years ago, so the first answer is definitely mine. It just so happens that the candidate I believe in this time around is also one of the two political parties the vast majority of Americans actually choose to acknowledge, so I won't be throwing my vote away in this election.

Don't you live in Tennessee?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rb
Sea Post King

Nader spoke at my school the other week, I must say he is a pretty smart guy. It's a shame that we don't openly recognize more that 2 parties.
Joined: 08 Jan 2008 | Posts: 464 | Location: San Francisco, CA
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Saellys wrote:

Don't you live in Tennessee?

Point.

Rb wrote:
Nader spoke at my school the other week, I must say he is a pretty smart guy. It's a shame that we don't openly recognize more that 2 parties.

Yeah, I was convinced to vote for him after he spoke at my college and said he'd raise minimum wage to $15 per hour (which, of course, got him a standing ovation from the crowd of students). He's wicked smart, and part of me wishes he would have pulled a Ron Paul and dumped his actual party in favor of running as a Republican or Democrat.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...

goto page
 | next >>