Laughing City
ganase
Sea Post King

Long time lurker, first time poster Embarassed
If I remember reading correctly Chauntelle's lovely 'strat'-style guitar is actually a Lotus brand guitar. I too have an old Lotus and it refuses to stay in tune. Any super fans know if Chauntelle replaced the tuners on hers and what she used? Any help is greatly appreciated
Kimbrtones
Vintage Newbie

You should probably try and PM Garron.
His dad did the modifications on that guitar. Smile
dannychair
Golly, Poster

She replaced more than the tuners...she replaced the entire neck. There used to be a full page about her guitar mods up somewhere but I'm not sure it's still up. [Anyone else have any idea what happened to it? Nora? Smile]

If your Lotus refuses to stay in tune, I doubt it's just the tuners causing the problem. On that type of guitar, it's most likely the quality of the neck which throws it off. Of course, it wouldn't hurt to try some of the more simple solutions that also can enhance tuning, such as using new and higher quality strings, adjusting the truss rod, adjusting the bridge, filing down/replacing the nut, or replacing the tuners (though your tuners would have to REALLY suck for it to make that much of a difference). Worn frets can also affect tuning, but I can tell you that repairing or replacing frets would not be worth it on a Lotus neck. Your best bet would be to go to a guitar store and ask them if they could tweak it to possibly make a difference.

Of course, if you have some money to put into this, you could always do what Chauntelle did and replace the entire neck. Warmoth has drool-worthy and customizable necks you could order to spiff up your Lotus.

Lastly, I'm pretty sure that Chauntelle replaced the pickups in her Lotus. Not that it would affect tuning, but as you probably know it can totally change the tone of your guitar.

Sorry this was so longwinded, but I love guitars. Laughing I hope this helped!

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

From a 2004 thread:
hush wrote:
I just posted this in another thread requesting gear information. I saved what Boyd and some other members posted about Eisley's gear into a text doc. I'll quote it here.

Quote:
Chauntelle
Fender Telecaster (red)
Godin Radiator (black)
Gretsch Silver Jet (silver sparkle)
Lotus Strat copy (white)

Sherri
Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (blue)
Rickenbacker 360 (black)

both
Epiphone Les Paul (pink sparkle)
Yamaha Weddington Classic (sunburst)

As for their amps, I know that they have the following:

Vox AC30
Fender Twin
'66 Fender Bassman head

And for effects, the few that I recall from pictures:

Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer
Fulltone Fulldrive
Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler

Chauntelle has a vintage Tube Screamer, a Line 6 delay (the green alloy
one), and a....hmm, sorry I'm not a guitar player, but I think it's like a
Full Drive or...Full Tone distortion pedal? But I think her great tone has
much to do with her modified Bloatus guitar. (was a lotus..) My brother
installed vintage, super distortion, dimarzio humbuckers years in it years
ago... and did some other weird stuff. She's getting a new neck on it this
week... an amazing guitar. Of course, it t'would be nothing without the
Hot Rod Fender DeVille. Also, she uses her Gretch for vintage tone, and
Fender (American) Tele for thinner, sounds...although, I think one of the
pick ups is a humbucker.

Sherri - same Full Drive (??) pedal, a Boss delay...which add very little to
her Rickenbacher (sp?) through the Vox AC-30. She's more meat and
potatoes...but it always seems to provide this foundation for the
band...and it's in a different space than Chauntelle, so it works.

Chauntelle got a Gretch (Chamagne Sparkle) with a bigsby....the exact guitar (his was black) that George used for the majority of his years with the Beatles. It's got this wonderful 60's-ish chunko-twang...with a "neither Strat nor Les Paul nor anything but a Gretch sound. Sorry. can't remember model name/number) She also got an American Telecaster - (Candy Tangerine) finish. She already has her Fender (hot rod) deville...2 -12's.

Weston is getting a Gretch - USA custom kit - Red Sparkle.....9X12, 14X14, 16X16, 22X18....almost exactly like he's using now (64 Red Sparkle Holiday Rogers) except for my kick is 14" deep. It won't be ready until July because I think they have to go chop down some trees.

Sherri will be using both her new guitar and the ole' pink sparkle les paul with the vintage d'marzio humbucker on the bottom - you know, for chunk. They both got the green line 6 delay pedals...

Stacy is getting her Rhodes completely refurbished...by Thomas of the Elms's dad - who I proclaim is an expert in the art of Rhodeology (i made that up...if they coin it, they owe me royalties) . He's not only doing the guts (lifters, keys, tines, wraps, gargoils, coils, dampening rods, pick ups, valve covers...he'll be adjusting critical tolerances to maximize for soft tones as well as biting, nasty hammers, etc...He'll also be looking at structural integrety and...he's giving it a massive make over...based on Stacy's design specs - White wrap with a red sparkle harp cover. It's going to be beautiful. Not sure when we get that.

Gretsch is a 1961 reissue of the Champagne Spkl double cutaway 6120. And Sherri just bought a Rickenbacker 360-JG, and a 1972 Tele thinline DLX in lake placid blue

Chauntelle's rig:

Fender Telecaster (red)
Godin Radiator (black)
Gretsch Silver Jet (silver sparkle)
Lotus Strat copy (white)

The pedals she uses are an older Ibanez Ts7 tube screamer, a new blue box Fulltone fulldrive 2 with the vintage voiceing switch, a line 6 DL4 delay, and a Boss TU2 tuner. It is powered by a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power II and conected with George L cables. She runs stereo out of the DL4 to both her Fender hot Rod deville, and to a back up amp, a 67 fender bassman head.

Sherri's rig:

Fender '72 Thinline Telecaster Reissue (blue)
Rickenbacker 360 (black)

She also uses a Fulltone Fulldrive II a boss dl5 delay pedal and a Boss Tu2 to her Vox AC30.
Kappa962
I LIKE KNOBS, FADERS

Chauntelle's Lotus stays in tune better than any other guitar in the world. But, yes, it has a replacement neck. I can't presently remember the name of the place that made the neck.

However, if you need a neck, you should talk to Todd (LaRose Guitars). I would imagine he could hook you up with an amazing neck.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

http://orangegoldandgreen.net/bloatus.html

There's the full story from both Wade DuPree (Garron's dad) and Dustin Mantz, who made the new neck.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ganase
Sea Post King

Amazing, you guys are great. This is exactly the information I was seeking. Great band, great fans.
I appreciate it, thanks.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
http://orangegoldandgreen.net/bloatus.html

There's the full story from both Wade DuPree (Garron's dad) and Dustin Mantz, who made the new neck.

That is very informative, thanks.

Does everyone else see red x's where there used to be pics?

rockchick1959
Golly, Poster

can anyone post pictures of all the guitar gear? that would be cool to have a side by side comparison visually, although i have already seen all or almost all of these in concert.

http://kimschaefer.bandcamp.com/

http://youtube.com/kimschaefermusic