Laughing City
<< prev | goto page
 | next >>

My feelings on the use of AutoTune on a lead vocal are as so...
It sucks.
34%
 34%  [ 16 ]
I love it.
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if used in moderation.
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
Is it just to cover the fact that these people can't sing?
29%
 29%  [ 14 ]
none of these - i will address in my reply
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 47

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Ah got it now. That's what I thought.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

What about "Hide and Seek" by Imogen Heap. It's the same effect, but used differently, mostly for harmonizing?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
Nightmare wrote:
I have a really good idea of what this is but I'm not certain. I really don't listen to the radio...

Surely you've heard Cher's - Do You Believe in Life AFter Love?

You know how her voice sounds robotic?

That's why - AutoTune used to dramatic effect.

I heard several songs using it in the short time I listened to the radio today.

Kanye is forthright about using it extensively for his new album.

One funny story - a local church who broadcasts every Sunday - I'm about 100% sure they use AutoTune. i guess Jesus doesn't like out of tune hymns....... Wink

Funny, AND wrong, thus funnier still, in that old twisted way we all know and love around these parts Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Did anyone buy Kanye's new joint?

I think I'm going to get it. I haven't bought any of his records, but something about this intrigues me.

I'm conflicted though, because I hate AutoTune. Maybe I hate AutoTune when it's used 'secretly' and not trying to obvious, when in this case Kanye is making no beef about.

I liked his performance of Heartless on the AMA's.

On his blog he mentioned listening to Thom Yorke and what I've heard of his new record reminded me some of those minimalistic beats on The Eraser.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

It's alright, don't know if I'd actually buy the entire album.

Paranoid and Robocop are fantastic. Welcome to Heartbreak and Street Lights are good, too. My beef with Heartless is that it amounts to nothing, which kind of sucks. It's dying to be remixed and hopefully someone will lay the rap down. The only rapping on the entire CD is by Lil' Wayne (who can't rap...so I say "rapping" loosely) and freakin' Young Jeezy (and I am not hating on him, but c'mon, we know he's mediocre at best). I guess it just depends on your tastes, but what's good is great, and the rest is pretty anti-climactic.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

I'm listening to it on his myspace right now and I'm kind of digging it. I think one reason I like it is because it's kind of therapeutic for me since I'm dealing with some heartbreak of my own in recent months. And the voice effects with the Auto Tune are cool. Coming from someone who isn't a huge rap or hip hop fan, I've always thought Kanye was far better than a lot of the other artists from those genres.
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

Paranoid and Robocop are fantastic. Welcome to Heartbreak and Street Lights are good, too. My beef with Heartless is that it amounts to nothing, which kind of sucks. It's dying to be remixed and hopefully someone will lay the rap down. The only rapping on the entire CD is by Lil' Wayne (who can't rap...so I say "rapping" loosely) and freakin' Young Jeezy (and I am not hating on him, but c'mon, we know he's mediocre at best). I guess it just depends on your tastes, but what's good is great, and the rest is pretty anti-climactic.

But Lil' Wayne is the best rapper in the world!

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:

It sounds like you like at least half of it. What does it take to get you to buy a CD? I probably buy too many actually.

What exactly do you mean when you say Heartless amounts to nothing? I thought the AMA performance kept my interest.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
tahruh wrote:

It sounds like you like at least half of it. What does it take to get you to buy a CD? I probably buy too many actually.

What exactly do you mean when you say Heartless amounts to nothing? I thought the AMA performance kept my interest.

If you can listen to Akon singing, you can listen to Kanye singing, if you can listen to Sean Kingston singing, you can listen to Kanye singing, if you can listen to Chris Brown singing, T-Pain, ** Cat Dolls, Britney, Miley, Jonas Bros, et cet er ra, then why not Kanye?

I listened to Kid A and loved it, and for all intents and purposes Thom Yorke's voice has never been more obscured or distorted. The Velvetteen did it on Cum Laude, and I enjoyed that record, even though it was melodically weirder than anything they'd ever done.

So let the dude sing, he's better at it than Wyclef, Everlast, and Andre 3000 who never got any real backlash and had their biggest successes as singers. Let old Kanye be Kenna for an album or two, it's all good, what harm could it do? Maybe there'll be a payoff and down the road Soundwave and Zartan will cut albums? I mean if "I like the beat and I can dance to it" is all people are really worrying about...

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I listened to Kid A and loved it, and for all intents and purposes Thom Yorke's voice has never been more obscured or distorted.

Korg Kaoss Pad ≠ AutoTune.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I just streamed it on imeem.
I like it. Cool

I don't think I can get into rap for the most part lyrically/subject wise. Kanye usually is talking about clothes/expensive things or fame - two subjects that don't interest me - but here he talks about loveloss and things like that - things I can relate to.

Paranoid - when the chorus of singers come in almost remind me of TV on the Radio.

I've seen that some special Christmas packaging comes out in a couple weeks. If it has some bonus tracks, too, that will piss me off.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
wilsmith wrote:
I listened to Kid A and loved it, and for all intents and purposes Thom Yorke's voice has never been more obscured or distorted.

Korg Kaoss Pad ≠ AutoTune.

Ah ah ah... I didn't say they were equal or congruent, just that distorted and augmented vocals can work for music...

Honestly, for him distorted vocals has been a trademark because before this latest Phase he was known for Sped-up Vocal samples for hooks. That got overdone, and he went to straight samples, and Daft Punk paid off, so instead of sampling them more, or hiring T-Pain (good life) why not DIY?

I'm curious since they are playing this up like a Depeche Mode record (Kenna Anyone???? Come on people, go get his record!?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
I just streamed it on imeem.
I like it. Cool

I don't think I can get into rap for the most part lyrically/subject wise. Kanye usually is talking about clothes/expensive things or fame - two subjects that don't interest me - but here he talks about loveloss and things like that - things I can relate to.

Paranoid - when the chorus of singers come in almost remind me of TV on the Radio.

I've seen that some special Christmas packaging comes out in a couple weeks. If it has some bonus tracks, too, that will piss me off.

If you had the power to jinx it, you just did. Chances are it will be remixes etc, I would just say, there are two ways to go about new releases:

by the first run and hope for bonus DVDs, special digipaks, free mp3 download codes. Or download it, wait to see if they reissue it later with more (Prospects March...) and then pick that up.

I used to follow the 3 singles rule (3 good singles is a good sign, thus buy) but now with previews etc I don't wait that long. I just hate exclusive album only downloads, you should make all bonus content downloadable for people who buy from other vendors or formats, something Eisley's gotten right everytime.

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
tahruh wrote:

4/12 is 1/3, not a half. Razz No, but I only buy albums that are worth purchasing, and to be worth purchasing I have to like the majority of the album, like 10/12 songs, otherwise the good, clutterless MP3's hit the spot.

And (I can't give you the specifics; i know nothing about music on a technical level) I just don't think it amounts to anything...I mean, the song builds up a little and evens out pretty early. Little variation, which might not be bad if the song was good to begin with, but the first time I listened to it I kept expecting something memorable to happen, instead the highlight is "how could you be so." I just find it bland and a little baffling that the two singles are indeed Heartless and Love Lockdown, when Paranoid is dying to take over for Stronger.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Listened to samples on Amazon to save time, and those songs do sort of peek early (but that's a hip hop thing, everyone focused on loops and samples). The sound works, but really folks KENNA.

<< prev | goto page
 | next >>