Laughing City

Can he avoid being beaten like a Red Headed Step-Child?
Of Course, His humor will appeal to all of America, they love auto-erotic bears in pampers!
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
Maybe, so long so long as the Jay Leno lead in show isn't horrible.
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Only if they let Triumph host the show 60% of the time
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Biggest Loser: Tonight Show Edition.
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 24

Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

I watched the Tonight Show with Conan for a couple of months. It wasn't as good as his Late Night show was, but even that wasn't as good as it used to be. Mostly I've just watched him too much and got tired of him like I did with Dave after he switched to CBS. Hmm maybe I just like the Late Night show and should start watching Fallon, it seemed ok the couple of times I saw it. I think it sucks that NBC would push Conan's Tonight Show back to a later slot just for Jay Leno though. Poor Coco. Jay sure causes a lot of problems in the late night talk show realm. I was never a big Jay fan, he's ok, I like his cars. He should have done a cable or internet show about cars after he was removed from the Tonight Show.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
johnip
Vintage Newbie

He does/did have some online car video website... I'll look it up

*****here. It was pretty neat the few I watched a long time ago. Talks about the history of the car, and takes it for a spin.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/

Vintage Newbie

Yep, I've seen that. Somebody was trying to get him to do a show like Top Gear but he declined because he figured it wouldn't work without a Jeremy Clarkson, and he's probably right.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I pretty much think NBC shouldn't be a network anymore. They've gone from a glorious rebirth of network TV to another awful crap pile in just a few years.

I still watch Heroes every monday, drop in for SUV and Criminal Intent now and then. Plus that Trauma show was oddly addictive as well. They have moments, but by and large, I don't watch TV, I just watch shows, a handful at best. If NBC can manage to air 3 or 4 of those, I fully support their continued existence.

Nowhere man, there's a scenario where I would be behind moving Conan to a later time and it's this:

They should have just scrapped the Tonight show, and put on another show after the news, or rerun the previous weeks major shows for the next night on that slot (so people can get caught up for the next day) and let Conan keep his slot, stay in NYC, and get a raise.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

I watch SNL and Chuck.

Other than that, I'll have to think.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

Conan says, "hell no," to being pushed back to midnight.
Hopefully he will land on Fox and compete in the same time slot as Jay.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I'd rather ABC than Fox, but he does have that Simpsons connection...

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Poor Conan. Sad At least he cracked a few jokes.

O'Brien's full statement below wrote:
People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Vintage Newbie

the AP version of this story summarized that statement to this:

"O'Brien said he hoped he and NBC could resolve the issue quickly so he could do a show of which he and his crew could be proud - "for a company that values our work" - raising the possibility he might go to another network. But he said he has no such offer."

Now that's good journalism Rolling Eyes

One thing is for sure

Jay Leno SCREWS NBC Late Night Hosts.

First it was just 1 at a time, now he's "doublin' up".

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

johnip wrote:
Poor Conan. Sad At least he cracked a few jokes.

O'Brien's full statement below wrote:
People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan

Now that's a class act! Smile

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Someone's going back to writing for the Simpsons!

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://tv.gawker.com/5446744/late-night-mayhem-as-conan-obrien-and-eve ryone-else-turns-on-nbc-all-the-clips-you-missed
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Those were hilarious! Very Happy
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

Cannot believe I forgot NBC Thursday nights. The Office and 30 Rock are quite acclaimed. I think Community is a really well written show, but is getting zero buzz to my knowledge. This weeks was very funny, Jack Black and Owen Wilson cameo.
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

bigideas wrote:
http://tv.gawker.com/5446744/late-night-mayhem-as-conan-obrien- and-everyone-else-turns-on-nbc-all-the-clips-you-missed

^This is good, it's updated daily.

It also lead me to this old clip from good ol' days of Dave with Chris Elliot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNmCBsQPEmA