33%
 33%  [ 4 ]
Still not interested
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

So i saw Watchmen today. Let it be known I'd never read the Graphic Novels, even though I was a big comic fan when I was younger. Mainly a Marvel a guy and too cheap to by Graphic Novels along with the 20 or more books I got monthly on my allowance as a kid. Anyways, I thought it was great, but was honestly surprised at how compelling the long trailer for the new Terminator flick was. There's a little schmaltz and melodrama apparently, but the production values look top notch. Plot wise it's almost got the vibe of what the 2nd Matrix SHOULD have been. Opinions?

http://terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com/

it's #3 of the videos, it should autoplay

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Hmm. I'm torn. For starters, I just can't take Christian Bale seriously--the man is a walking self-parody. His only facial expression is Blue Steel.

Also, the human-machine hybrid plot and its accompanying quasi-philosophic ruminations on the true meaning of humanity has been done, and done better, in Battlestar Galactica. I don't really want to see that kind of thing worked into a film that otherwise only exists for impressive motorcycle stunts. Every time action movies try to get metaphysical, they fall flat on their faces.

On the other hand, after three Terminator films of consistently decent or excellent quality (and one TV series that's utter crap), it's nice to finally get a movie that's set in the actual machine wars. That also means that it can't possibly live up to expectations after all this buildup, but I agree that the snippets of combat in the trailer are promising. And IMDb lists Helena Bonham Carter and Michael Ironside (!!!) in the cast, so at least there's some talent involved.

I can only really be excited about one action/superhero movie per year, and this year's spot is taken by Wolverine, but I will probably go see this in theaters too.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You mean to tell me you enjoyed Terminator 3?!? Shocked

"Blue Steel." wow, so you're saying Christian Bale is the real life version of this sketch ?

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=217627&title=t iming-anger-scene-management

You've got a point with Battlestar, if that's their angle... It could also be they're, oh I won't speculate, I'll just invoke the name Deathlok.

As far as Wolverine, the Hummer stunt, and casting Will I Am as John Wraith have me a little skittish.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Battlestar didn't come before Terminator 2, which also dealt with that issue. I mean the new BSG, of course. Granted I'm sure the topic was given much more attention on BSG.

Regardless, I think this movie is going to be as good as T3 should have been. (I still think T3 was pretty decent, just not nearly as good as the first two.) I'm excited that they have finally decided to go into the wars, instead of relying on time traveling adventures. It's still hard for me to tell what the overall plot is, but so far, it looks pretty rad to me.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I can only really be excited about one action/superhero movie per year, and this year's spot is taken by Wolverine, but I will probably go see this in theaters too.

Wolverine does look pretty amazing. But I'm probably biased seeing that I'm a huge X-Men fan. I'll need to watch the others before seeing this one. Maybe. Yes, I've never seen any of the Terminator movies all the way through.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Hannah needs a new blog. Let me suggest "Stuffhannahdoesnthate.com"

Wait, wait, wait... Let me guess the first entry... Battlestar Faglactica.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
You mean to tell me you enjoyed Terminator 3?!? Shocked

It was about as watchable as the first movie.

TheAntrider wrote:
Battlestar didn't come before Terminator 2, which also dealt with that issue. I mean the new BSG, of course. Granted I'm sure the topic was given much more attention on BSG.

I didn't really consider Terminator 2 when it came to that issue, just because it was a slightly different angle... In T2, a machine was trying to save a human's life, and along the way he picked up human traits, endearing himself to the two main human characters, but from what I remember no one actually questioned the Governator's humanity. Sarah had trouble trusting him for obvious reasons, but it wasn't the same thing. Likewise, while it surprised people to see someone they knew suddenly melt and reconstitute into the T-1000, once the shock wore off, nobody asked if his ability to mimic made him human. Mostly because once the shock wore off, they were dead. Still, those who survived didn't go on to say, "Wow, he looks human. He acts... kind of human. Is he human? Oh my God, am I human?"

Conversely, in Battlestar and, by appearances, Salvation, there are either half-human, half-machine people, or machines that are convincingly human and, more importantly, have been living as humans for decades. (Both are in BSG, particularly in the most recent episodes.) That raises major questions about the essence of humanity, nature versus nurture, and all those other things I skimmed over in my philosophy survey class. Helo and Athena having a loving marriage and a hybrid child is much harder to reconcile than an android reciting catchphrases in a Teutonic accent.

That was a bit of a ramble, but that's what happens when I start to talk BSG. I think if Salvation attempts to do in two hours what Battlestar has been doing for four seasons, it just can't end well. But more power to the movie's writers for upping the ante as far as the machines are concerned.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

you done did it now....

My Mom took me to see The Terminator when it was still in the theater back in the day. It's one of my earliest movie experiences, not the earliest, but up there. Needless to say, it is grandfathered into my "Greatest film of that type of movie" pantheon (no pun, just the best word to use).

Sure the effects haven't aged well, but the concept was pretty groundbreaking (both the Cyborg terminator, and the time travel - paradox angle). The fact that it was a halfway serial killer horror movie (1st 1/4 of the film) was also very intense.

And if we are talking exposition on Artificial intelligence vs humanity, well, let's be honest and accurate, it begins and ends with BLADERUNNER. (Also in the pantheon).

Argue all you want, but I stand by that assertion.

This movie, if you go by the subtitle, may have more in common with Underworld in terms of narrative than anything else, and yet, in a round about way, it's just taking T2's role reversal and giving it a heart, as opposed to just programming. At least that what it seems like.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
And if we are talking exposition on Artificial intelligence vs humanity, well, let's be honest and accurate, it begins and ends with BLADERUNNER. (Also in the pantheon).

Argue all you want, but I stand by that assertion.

No argument here--you are absolutely correct. Battlestar stole from Blade Runner wholesale, from the philosophical angle to Adama's fight scene with Leoben in the miniseries, which was totally Deckard vs. Batty. And Edward James Olmos was in Blade Runner! I need no further proof that Ronald D. Moore is a huge Philip K. Dick/Ridley Scott fan.

Smokemonster
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

I just have three words.

oh em gee

i can't wait. Oh please please let it be on the same psych level as apocalypse now