54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
no
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

Last thursday in my European history class, we discussed the shift in art from commissions to personal expression. Anyway, my prof. asked if there were rules for art. I said, "Yes, but people don't always follow them".

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
gundamit
Golly, Poster

And your professor replied ...?
Vintage Newbie

gundamit wrote:
And your professor replied ...?

She didn't really say anything because she asked the question.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

that was a clever answer Cool

pretty accurate too, and I would just tack on:

"... and the change with the times, or ignore the times altogether and don't change at all."

ah... tautologies, they make the world go round.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Miss Pine
Golly, Poster

Considering how difficult it is to describe "art," I would say that there aren't any rules. I like your answer. I take it that you mean that there are conventional standards in art but that some choose to break from them.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I don't think there has been any shift, I just think that art solely for personal expression is more visible than it has ever been. Literature, music, and art is so heavily dominated by the academia/patronage crowd because those are the only artists would had enough money/fame to have their work reproduced and kept for future generations. With cheap modern printing and digital archives, we just have more access to all the art that would otherwise go unnoticed throughout history.

I guess my argument is that the modern art world is closer to a folk tradition than a academic tradition, even though the academic tradition has been more emphasized in history.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Rules for art!? That's a non-sequitur!!
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

Technically there are rules, but you're right. I don't like to follow them, I think the rules block your creativity. I think art comes from the heart and shouldn't be altered in any way based on rules. Art's a representation of feelings and emotions through some other medium...I don't mean to say too much, but for some reason if feel very strongly about this xD

I also think if you want to write or draw or do whatever to let out your creativity and emotions, someone shouldn't come and criticize it because it doesn't follow the rules.

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

"I think art comes from the heart and shouldn't be altered in any way based on rules."

Yeah, but sometimes, when you don't follow the rules, you end up with Garden State.
lookingXglass
Golly, Poster

tahruh wrote:
"I think art comes from the heart and shouldn't be altered in any way based on rules."

Yeah, but sometimes, when you don't follow the rules, you end up with Garden State.

lol

"I don't wanna touch you and feel so helpless; I don't wanna smell you and lose my senses" Rufus Wainwright, Foolish Love
Joined: 28 Dec 2007 | Posts: 807 | Location: Wouldn't you like to know?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

There would be no "Art Programs" or degrees if there were not Method and Craft to develop. Developing your craft helps some people refine their expression so they have the skill, or the ability to disregard it, to display in their works their true intention and sentiment.

As far as hard and fast rules, there would be no genres or artistic styles and movements if you could not isolate one from another by categorization and setting standards. Taken all together, these end up as means for making judgments about what something is, or isn't and were it fits. I've been to enough juried exhibitions and taken enough art classes to know that if ever there were a culture hellbent on subjective standards and crass elitism, it's Fine Art, and inversely, the counter-culture movement of "folk art" in it's reaction to snooty Fine Art.

And of course those circles have a taciturn relationship with Pop-art, in whatever form it takes. Taggers and Bombers don't write "toy" on whack pieces because there aren't rules. The rule is, "Don't suck at what you do, make it good, whatever it is." And of course, we all know the world is full of people who suck at what they do, or do something the don't suck at cause they once did something they did suck at and were made aware of it one way or another.

I sucked at perspective, shading, and most of all, being on time. And thus my art major ended with one class cause they had an attendance policy,a nd class was only 10 minutes when we had critiques. Oh to be 18 again! Very Happy

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

There are rules to art. Without rules there would be nothing that "pushes boundaries" or whatever.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

I don't think there can be rules for an abstract concept.
Vintage Newbie

I think things can be abstract and still follow basic rules. I mean, I'm not going to spend $450 on a painting of asterisks made from animal feces, but I might be interested in a painting OF animal feces, if it had an aesthetically appealing color scheme. And was free.

I don't think it's mandatory to follow the rules, but I find it annoying when people trying to be as socially unacceptable as possible, try to stamp the "a" word on their respective creations.

But I guess it comes down to subjectivity at the end of the day.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
I don't think it's mandatory to follow the rules, but I find it annoying when people trying to be as socially unacceptable as possible, try to stamp the "a" word on their respective creations.

and the congregation said, "AMEN!!!" Surprised
+1

goto page
 | next >>