Laughing City

If invited to play should they accept, and would you attend?
yes and yes
57%
 57%  [ 24 ]
yes and no
26%
 26%  [ 11 ]
no and yes
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
no and no
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 42

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

*****Changed Title, added a new link on last page******

The exposure, the lack of need to organize everything themselves, the benefit of an audience predisposed to accepting and enjoying their music

Sarah McLachlan is bringing back Lillith Fair in 2010. Call it stereotypical if you want, but it was a really good thing for a lot of artists, and I don't think there was ever a bigger period for women writing and performing their own songs, solo, and in bands that included BOTH genders. I for one, am hoping, it comes to pass, and Album 3 comes out in 2010, and WB realizes this is their golden opportunity to make the most of their relationship with our champions from Tyler.

http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/story.jsp?story_id=5188

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:32 am; edited 3 times in total
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Hugely agree with that.
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I'm not sure how you could call Lillith Fair stereotypical. A festival made up entirely of female artists and female-fronted bands, encouraging intermingling and collaboration during the festival itself (see also: the gorgeous Indigo Girls / Sarah McLachlan / Jewel cover of "The Water Is Wide") is about as far as you can get from stereotype.

On a less nitpicky note, Eisley should absolutely get on that lineup. And now my imagination is running wild and I'm thinking about how cool it would be if Sleater-Kinney played a reunion show there. Shocked

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I'm not sure how you could call Lillith Fair stereotypical. A festival made up entirely of female artists and female-fronted bands, encouraging intermingling and collaboration during the festival itself (see also: the gorgeous Indigo Girls / Sarah McLachlan / Jewel cover of "The Water Is Wide") is about as far as you can get from stereotype.

On a less nitpicky note, Eisley should absolutely get on that lineup. And now my imagination is running wild and I'm thinking about how cool it would be if Sleater-Kinney played a reunion show there. Shocked

Nah, you misread my implication...

I'm saying some people would think it would be stereotypical to put Eisley on that bill because 3/5th of the band, and the frontpersons, are female.

There's no guarantee that this will be a Lillith Fair reunion tour either...

It could end up being: Pj Harvey, Spinnerette, Bjork, Breeders, Ting Tings, Metric, Feist, No Doubt, etc. etc. etc. Which would be a completely different feel.

It's more likely a lot of the more contemporary artists recently mentioned: She & Him, St. Vincent, Kate Micucci, Kate Voegele, would end up on the line-up with bigger names like Tegan and Sarah, Sara Barealis (I know I spelled it wrong), Rachel Yagamata, Martha Wainwright, Beth Orton, etc etc etc.

Funny thing is, in the 90's Sarah Mclachlan had a knack for balladry, but Possession and Sweet Surrender rock in their own way, along with others, and if there were a singular mainstream act that I would consider having a good musical match, and an audience that would immediately appreciate everything Eisley had to offer musically, it would be her. Over her 5 records she's gone from arty and inaccessible to over the moon popular, and unquestionably gifted and consistent.

What she does isn't exactly what Eisley does, but, and knock me all you want, but I don't think a band has had the range and chops (songwriting and compositionally) that Eisley has since Fleetwood Mac. In my head that is the only real comparison.

That's right, I am putting Room Noises and Combinations in the same league as Fleetwood Mac and Rumours, which I consider incredibly flattering. I just don't see Fleetwood Mac being able to bridge a generation gap that exists. Eisley should have more fans around my age (33), people who are fans of the same music as them, but I am one of the only people close to my age that is a fan in my circle. We can have a dozen other quirky bands and artists in common, but Eisley just isn't one for some reason.

Sarah Mclachlan skews closer to my demo that Fleetwood Mac could, and could get them a entirely new universe of fans, and deservedly so, and those people deserve to hear Eisley. A lot of listeners who could turn on VH1, or even the morning national news broadcasts (that's how I first heard Shawn Colvin...) to get a chance to hear great songwriters 10 years ago can't rely on that anymore. Now, maybe at Borders or Starbucks if you're lucky, but I haven't had such luck.

So, Sleater Kinney would be Awesome, agreed. Eisley, if invited, they should go, they should get Main Stage Billing. They will be loved!

I get it that some people would thumbs down this, but consider, I don't know how many records are in their deal with WB, but it would be vary beneficial if when they finished their deal they had a broader base and more exposure to active concert goers and music buyers nationally, so they could survive, nye thrive independently a la Ani Difranco, the other pillar of Lillith Fair.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Last edited by wilsmith on Mon May 04, 2009 8:30 am; edited 3 times in total
StuartBuck
Sea Post King

Quote:
Eisley should have more fans around my age (33), people who are fans of the same music as them, but I am one of the only people close to my age that is a fan in my circle. We can have a dozen other quirky bands and artists in common, but Eisley just isn't one for some reason.

Sarah Mclachlan skews closer to my demo that Fleetwood Mac could, and could get them a entirely new universe of fans, and deservedly so, and those people deserve to hear Eisley

I know this is repetitive, but I even more emphatically agree. Eisley's music seems perfect to appeal to the 30s-40s crowd (which is why I keep saying that Eisley should be on NPR, or wherever you'll find artistically-inclined older folks). They're making timeless music, not just the latest faddish sound from Timbaland.

Maybe they occasionally get stereotyped because of "Telescope Eyes" or the chorus to "Brightly Wound," but that's totally unfair: even their early music is usually remarkably mature ("Head Against the Sky," "Blackened Crown," etc.). Like you, I can't figure out why they haven't been able to break into the older audiences. Maybe they need to be on the soundtrack to a romantic comedy or something.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I agree NPR would be a good move, but their demo seems to be shrinking too, I think that plus Austin City Limits would be a definite boon to the band. Song placement isn't impossible cause they were on the Hills last year. Song on the New Moon soundtrack couldn't hurt either, but to get "Lifers" it's a whole other equation.

L-I-L
L-I-T
H-F-A-I-R! Mr. Green

StuartBuck
Sea Post King

So it's settled then. Nico, you now have your next assignment. Smile
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:

Holy $#@! you shouldn't even joke about things like that unless you have a vague rumor to back it up. Razz

But yes, the pros I think outweighed the cons of being affiliated with the 'Lilith' tag. Considering the dismaying decrease of women visible in popular music beyond the creampuff sing & dance kind since the last one, a new 'Lilith' could inject some life into prospective girls with guitars.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, and at this rate that's when Stages by Vedera will see the light of day, prompting a mini-Combinations 08' tour reunion Cool

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

While it does seem like a good way of gaining exposure, Eisley has always steadfastly guarded against being pigeonholed in any way! And for good reason I think! They are truely Indie! Unless 'Indie' itself is a pigeonhole! Confused
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

What better way to prove that than to get on the bill of this festival and display in context just how unique they are???

They do have contemporaries, none too much like them to make waves, but they stand out, and I think they would at Lillith, but in a very positive way.

Now, if Christie goes Pro, then there will be issues, cause her band, I'll call them Mosley for brevity sake, was awesome in the vids from the Brewtones show. Then you would have something to compare Eisley to that I would acknowledge as appropriate.

Now, if Jon came back, and Boyd got back behind the kit... and to go all the way off the deep end, Max decided to pull a Pat Smear and join up on Guitar We could float two line-ups... Eisley and Mosley, the Skynyrd & 38 Special of our generation! Wink

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

*Edit* it's a "MUST READ"... you'll understand how relevant it is when you do. It really hits home to this topic RE: Eisley*

just saw it this morning on her blog. She is putting up unpublished chapters from her book When I Grow Up this one is called...

"WHO THE HELL IS LILITH?

Unpublished chapter from When I Grow Up

In 1997 I was invited to take part in the first Lilith Fair music festival. My manager gave me the news: Sarah MacLachlan, the Canadian pop star, was organizing a multi-artist concert tour that would feature female singer-songwriters and female-fronted bands and which would travel around North America. It would be a rotating roster of acts – some of whom would stay on for just a few days, some for longer – except for Sarah, who would be the headliner through the whole tour. It would be like the popular Lollapalooza rock festival but less raucous. It was going to be called “Lilith Fair.” Did I want to do it?

I was skeptical. A music festival made up of, and for, women? Wouldn’t that be kind of, well, boring? Would there be any hard-rocking ladies on the Lilith Fair bill? Would there be any musical aggression and fire to spike the pulses of the people or would it be all sweet harmonies and flowers and incense and candles and gauzy dresses and angels and fairies and shimmering, polite, MacLachlan-like pop/folk? What would it say about me if I agreed to do it? Hadn’t I been trying, all my career, to avoid taking part in the “women in rock” trend?

A lot of women in the spotlight were taking their careers and art by the reins when I was coming up – writing their own songs, playing guitar – and “women in rock” had become a fairly common heading. I hated it when people lumped a bunch of us girls all together even when we had nothing much in common except for an ability to sing and play guitar (and to bear children)."

that's just the opening, the rest is here: http://www.julianahatfield.com/blog[/code]

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:

It could end up being: Pj Harvey, Spinnerette, Bjork, Breeders, Ting Tings, Metric, Feist, No Doubt, etc. etc. etc. Which would be a completely different feel.

It's more likely a lot of the more contemporary artists recently mentioned: She & Him, St. Vincent, Kate Micucci, Kate Voegele, would end up on the line-up with bigger names like Tegan and Sarah, Sara Barealis (I know I spelled it wrong), Rachel Yagamata, Martha Wainwright, Beth Orton, etc etc etc.

Well, fingers crossed for the former group-
would be a better fit for Eisley; spare us an "adult contemporary" (snooze)/ pubescent folkster lineup.

And, what, no love in your heart for Kristen Hersh?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I just figured Throwing Muses has been more off the radar than the ones I brought up, cause they all have albums due, or already out in the last 6 months (save for Bjork and Feist, who are ubiquitous at this point).

Kristin Hersch, Tanya Donelly, Jill Cunniff (Luscious Jackson), and Jill Sobule, are all still active on the indie side of things (LJ was supposed to get back together and tour and do a kids album, but I heard nothing of it) but very low profile otherwise, so I just went for names I know still get press, and thus would make sense that they would get booked for the tour to have reliable draw. That's just my twisted logic.

And I gotta admit, I never did get fully into Throwing Muses and Kristin cause they pulled her stuff out of the BMG and Columbia House catalogs around 97' or so and I never was able to get it from them, and thus did without and moved on to other artists. Same thing happened with L7, I should go back and dig that stuff up I guess?

Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

Quote:
Oh, and at this rate that's when Stages by Vedera will see the light of day, prompting a mini-Combinations 08' tour reunion Cool

Seriously, when is this coming out? I would go to this...um, where is it? Or was, rather.