Laughing City

What's the most important factor for the increased prevalence of obesity?
Higher calorie diets (fast food, increased processing, corn syrup, larger portions, etc)
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
Increasing sedentary lifestyles (loss of walkable neighborhood, cultural trend towards automobiles, lower demand for physical labour)
39%
 39%  [ 17 ]
Genetic disorders
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Change in definition or perception of obesity
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (feel free to clarify)
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 43

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I think the biggest problem with eating out is the fact that people don't usually know how many calories they're eating. Ya' know "I'm just going to have a salad... with everything on it!"

McDonald's Salads: not that bad, until you look at salad dressings.

Or my favorite one that people do to stay 'healthy'...SUBWAY! 5 DOLLAR!... "Subway's healthy...DOUBLE MEAT" right... Notice that they're all 6". So double that.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
I think the biggest problem with eating out is the fact that people don't usually know how many calories they're eating. Ya' know "I'm just going to have a salad... with everything on it!"

McDonald's Salads: not that bad, until you look at salad dressings.

Or my favorite one that people do to stay 'healthy'...SUBWAY! 5 DOLLAR!... "Subway's healthy...DOUBLE MEAT" right... Notice that they're all 6". So double that.

that's the truth.

It's hard to lose weight in my family. I gained about 40 lbs over the past 2 years, and I've lost 10 of it recently. 30 to go! I just have to not eat sweets, and eat a ton of veggies. I walk a lot. I gave up soda in highschool after reading something about high fructose corn syrup. I mostly drink ice tea (unsweetened) and water these days.

I get pretty jealous of people who seemingly eat whatever they want and play video games all day, and still look like Kate Moss. Oh well.

And, eating out is a no no if you are trying to lose weight, but there are a few healthy options at starbucks that I am a fan of.

I say, eat more brocolli america! It tastes good, and is SO good for you! Plus, it microwaves to perfection in 3 minutes! Its a win-win.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Apparently living in Minnesota makes you fat and living in Los Angeles makes you skinny! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSc2Cbzf8UE
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

I have largely stayed out of this thread as it hits a little too close to home for me.

but i decided to give my two cents anyway.

I myself and obese. I do not feel it is my parents fault. i do not feel it is genetic (both of my parents are also obese) nor do I feel it is a result of social factors.

i truly feel it all comes down to dietary choices. and I have made some bad ones.

now, there is some responsibility on the parents side when you are a kid. a kid isnt going to say no to ice cream if a parent offers it.

one thing my parents always had was a big shelf full of cakes and treats (they still have it now). And I always found myself going to that table at various times throughout the day to get some food. i still do it now when I go visit.

the motto at my house is, "if you dont buy it, then yuo dont eat it." we have treats. but not as much as my parents. and it is usually limited to one a day.

i do drink more soda than I should though.

that is what I feel.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
leighish
Vintage Newbie

let me weigh in (har har) on the issue based on my personal experience. Last year at this time I weighed in at 245 lbs. Yep. My rock bottom moment was when I had to buy a maternity swimsuit 6 months after my baby was born. I started out yet again on another diet. I'd tried and failed before. I'd lose 20 lbs and put 10 back on. I don't really know what changed this time. I began to keep track of everything (and I do mean everything) that I put into my mouth. If I had a bite of rob's sandwich, I wrote it down. If I tasted something, I wrote it down. I weighed and measured everything. Since last July I have lost 80 lbs. And it's so hard at this point. I'm battling losing the last 10 lbs and I'm having a hard time with it because I feel too comfortable. I don't weigh and measure like I used to, I let myself have sweets more often than I should. I think, for me, the biggest obstacle to overcome was portion control. Once I was making the correct portions of everything, it became so much easier.

Now I'm still arguing with my subconscious. I'm smaller than I've EVER been. I don't recall being a size 8 EVER in my life. My collarbones stick out, my ribs are visible when I lift my arms or bend over. My thighs don't touch (well they don't!), my arms and legs are ridiculously toned (Thank you, Jillian Michaels), but most of the time, when I look in the mirror...I see very little change from last year.

This could be a problem.

I digress. I used to be one of those girls that eats their feelings, and I still do sometimes, but when you're stressed or emotional, I've tried to retrain myself to do something beneficial instead of detrimental. Changing your entire lifestyle is hard. I vote A+B.

theantrider wrote:
My jaw hurts and I have an ulcer. That's what spending time with Kylee gets you
Joined: 25 Apr 2004 | Posts: 6183 | Location: Lake Jackson, TX
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

leighish wrote:
but most of the time, when I look in the mirror...I see very little change from last year.

This could be a problem.

I'm the opposite (sort of). When I was skinny I thought I was super fat, and now I am overweight, and I still feel super fat. I think it's just part of being a female. Even my rail thin friends see fat when they look in the mirror. We should break them all.

And, I've seen your pictures, you look inspirationally amazing.

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ So, the "graviton bomb" is going off in the bible belt and bread basket... AKA the heartland... How appropriate...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Some personal data:

I've biked about 68 miles so far this week. According to my best estimates, that's about 3500 calories (around 1 pound of fat) I've burned just through my daily travel routines. Lifestyle choices are really important.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
Some personal data:

I've biked about 68 miles so far this week. According to my best estimates, that's about 3500 calories (around 1 pound of fat) I've burned just through my daily travel routines. Lifestyle choices are really important.

You'll die the next time you mention your gay-ass bike.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:
DRMS_7888 wrote:
Some personal data:

You'll die the next time you mention your gay-ass bike.

Laughing

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams

<< prev | goto page