14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Chime In!

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Sat May 23, 2009 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mattr
Golly, Poster

I was entertained, but it didn't really feel like a Terminator movie to me.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Well at 14, I for one, remember hoping T2 would be set in that future I only saw glimpses of in Kyle's flashbacks when I was 7 years old. The scenes from the future kept the first Terminator from simply being a creepy horror movie with a Cyborg replacing Jason Vorhees.

So to have the goods delivered 27 years later is well worth the wait, cause this part of the story is supposed to feel different when it's told. It's supposed to be a post-apocalyptic war and survival story. If it would have been like any of the other three that would have been another cheap cash grab that side stepped what Cameron's story promised from the jump.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I'm seeing it tomorrow, I think. 35% on RottenTomatoes doesn't bode well, but all the critics were wrong about Star Trek so I'll probably really enjoy it.

On the other hand, I always thought the most intriguing part of the franchise was that it didn't show the machine wars... Even in T3, when Skynet became self-aware, there were (as I recall) no scenes of robots blowing crap up. What started as a budgetary necessity became a storytelling element and I can't help but feel that anything they could throw at us now would just be a letdown. And after watching that four-minute megatrailer that came out a little while ago, the only conclusion I can draw is that they're treading the same what-does-it-mean-to-be-human ground that was already covered quite thoroughly in Battlestar Galactica.

But it is the only big blockbuster this year I still look forward to after reading the reviews (I never did see Watchmen and Wolverine). That surely counts for something, and maybe it's just nostalgia, but I'm not about to miss what will at least be an enjoyable series of explosions.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Uhm... I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say it's not what I was expecting, and that was a pleasant surprise. I don't know the details of your expectations, but I have a feeling it will be a little different than what you'd imagine based on what was alluded to in the previous 3 films.

Rumor has it, you won't like it no matter what, but perhaps you're just a contrarian, with a bad reputation? No matter, I got a kick out of Anton Yeltin (is that his last name, or Yelchin) simply because I immediatly thought of that hilarious rant you posted about him almost saving Star Trek for you and pitying his career arch. That was a fun read, and enhanced my Terminator viewing experience.

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Rumor has it, you won't like it no matter what, but perhaps you're just a contrarian, with a bad reputation?

Laughing A serial contrarian.

wilsmith wrote:
No matter, I got a kick out of Anton Yeltin (is that his last name, or Yelchin) simply because I immediatly thought of that hilarious rant you posted about him almost saving Star Trek for you and pitying his career arch. That was a fun read, and enhanced my Terminator viewing experience.

Glad I could help! I was dubious at best about him as Kyle Reese, but I saw a YouTube video of him talking about how he prepared for the role, and just started watching Terminator for maybe the third time ever, and I now think it's a brilliant choice and I'm really looking forward to his parts in the movie. If the reviews are right and Christian Bale pretty much sleeps through the whole thing, maybe Anton will make up for it.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

ignore the reviewers, Bale was the best he's been in a long time in this one. He wasn't given a broad palette to work with, but you'll see why he had that blow up when you see what he had to portray in this movie. They are just still mad about the "Batman Voice" he does. It does not make an appearance in this movie. Mr. Green

Could Ben Stiller do a great send up of his role: yes. Could he play the role in this movie and not reduce it to a farce: Haaayellll No.

Then again, I have never seen American Pyscho, and I hear that sort of ruins Christian Bale for some people, and they can only think of him in that movie whenever they see him. But hey, the first thing I saw him in was Reign of Fire

sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

I saw it.

Is it bad that this is the first Terminator movie I've ever seen?

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

I have seen it. It was awful. And I loved it.

A while back a friend of mine described the first season of Battlestar Galactica as "people running away from robots," before it evolved into sophisticated philosophy on the nature of humanity (which T4 also tried to do and fell flat on its face in the attempt), and that was the only expectation I had for the movie. It was completely and utterly fulfilled. I also got some fodder for my recent obsession with post-apocalyptic dieselpunk, and I didn't even have to watch Mad Max!

The first act had SO much potential, and so many lovely little in jokes for fans of the series thus far. (Now I know why the first thing Kyle did after finding clothes in 1984 was to tie his shotgun to his arm.) And the action scenes were beautifully done. I was even able to accept the obvious purpose of the Marcus character, even though I could easily predict where it was going and what his ultimate inner conflict would be (largely because they made it so clear in the trailers).

It was also really nice to have one female character involved in the franchise who, for the first time, was neither a sexy sexy cyborg nor a womb on legs. That Blair chick didn't have much of a role to speak of, but at least she had some kind of fighting skill and wasn't locked into programming or destiny. Unfortunately she was cancelled out by Kate Connor being completely and utterly useless. Even the fact that she was pregnant had absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the plot or her character or anything. She just stood there in her astonishingly flattering clothes and little belts and looked sympathetic while John brooded.

The movie was chopped all to hell, and I hope there will be a director's cut when the DVD comes out, but my biggest problem with the plot probably couldn't be saved by adding the deleted scenes back in. If the robots had Kyle Reese, and they knew they had Kyle Reese, and they knew (thanks to Sarah Connor's stupidity in mentioning his names all those times in her tapes, and the fact that John also drops it every time he meets a cyborg) why Kyle Reese was important, why why why were they still obsessed with killing John Connor? Why take that risk and set that elaborate trap to bring him into the nuclear-studded bowels of their giant factory, then try to kill him with a T-800 he should already know how to destroy (but clearly didn't since he fell for the same voice mimic trick that almost killed him when he was a kid), when they could snuff him out by killing Reese? They're robots--aren't they supposed to be logical?

Even with that huge, gaping, nagging plot hole (and a few smaller ones that would probably be rectified if I could see what was left on the cutting room floor), I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie and I'm glad I spent my afternoon watching it. While I don't think there should be any more sequels after this, I would happily watch a T5 if it involved Bale and Yelchin being all buddy-buddy and blowing crap up.

sukieinthe_g wrote:
I saw it.

Is it bad that this is the first Terminator movie I've ever seen?

In a way, no. Now if you watch the older movies, you'll have a slightly better understanding of why John Connor was so important and what was going on in the future. And honestly, Terminator and Judgment Day were both better movies, so it can only improve from here! Very Happy

Smokemonster
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

You're so $#@! amateur man!

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
Terminator Salvation it sucked and I loved it. Very Happy

Yup! Laughing

It was a perfectly un-nuanced popcorn movie.

Meanwhile the pregnancy was a nod to T3 and the little bit of story we got out of that one that points further into the future. Meanwhile, they've padded the timeline so there will most definitely be sequels if they want to.

The quirking this is, this movie is set on the delayed activation of skynet. They could justify doing a similar movie (or alternate version) that is based on the original timeline of the orgiinal film, just for kicks. That would be fun. would there be an "Infiltrator" in it since that took place after all would have been in place for Skynet in the original timeline?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
sophisticated philosophy on the nature of humanity

Mad Max!

. I was even able to accept the obvious purpose of the Marcus character, even though I could easily predict where it was going and what his ultimate inner conflict would be (largely because they made it so clear in the trailers).

If the robots had Kyle Reese, and they knew they had Kyle Reese, and they knew (thanks to Sarah Connor's stupidity in mentioning his names all those times in her tapes, and the fact that John also drops it every time he meets a cyborg) why Kyle Reese was important, why why why were they still obsessed with killing John Connor? They're robots--aren't they supposed to be logical?

Don't think they even attempted to be sophisticated at all. Frankenstein anyone?

Yes, when they did that Road Warrior vs. War of the Worlds (Spielberg version) sequence, I couldn't help but feel are warm and fuzzy inside. I expect more of the same now that people my age are writing and directing the movies these days.

Yeah, that part of the trailer with the big reveal for him was a bit much, but after the first 5 minutes you know what's coming as far as his role, albeit, they didn't go exactly to the dark places I thought they might, but the title implied uber-goody-two-shoedness.

How did Kyle Reese get to #1 on their list? How did they (skynet Inc) know about him, maybe they always did, but we wouldn't know cause the only Terminators we've seen were after Connor in the past, and at that point they wouldn't know where Reese was until it was too late? I never knew them to have a way to relay info from the past to the future (albeit it wouldn't be hard, just watch 12 Monkeys or Frequency Then again, this is early Skynet, just getting around to putting skin on the droids and all...

Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
How did Kyle Reese get to #1 on their list? How did they (skynet Inc) know about him, maybe they always did, but we wouldn't know cause the only Terminators we've seen were after Connor in the past, and at that point they wouldn't know where Reese was until it was too late? I never knew them to have a way to relay info from the past to the future (albeit it wouldn't be hard, just watch 12 Monkeys or Frequency Then again, this is early Skynet, just getting around to putting skin on the droids and all...

True dat. Paradoxes within paradoxes, which is pretty much what the franchise has always relied upon for storytelling purposes. I'm told the comic book adaptation is actually far more detailed than the movie and probably includes a lot of the material that was cut from the theatrical version. I'll have to check it out.

I forgot to mention how terribly fake Marcus Wright looked with all his cyborg bits showing. They dedicated the movie in part to Stan Winston, whose fake-face Ahhhnold was previously the zenith (or nadir) of bad special effects intended to look realistic and failing miserably, and then they made something way worse, even though they had far more advanced technology to accomplish it than Winston ever had. Lame.

Smokemonster
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Saellys wrote:
I forgot to mention how terribly fake Marcus Wright looked with all his cyborg bits showing. They dedicated the movie in part to Stan Winston, whose fake-face Ahhhnold was previously the zenith (or nadir) of bad special effects intended to look realistic and failing miserably, and then they made something way worse, even though they had far more advanced technology to accomplish it than Winston ever had. Lame.

Yeah, that post police station scene in T1 was scary when I was young and dumb, and going back it looked sooooooo fake when T2 came out in comparison.

The torso part with Marcus was a product of bad design more than technical failure. Whoever came up with the concept art for that one should stick to Sam Raimi movies. It's Cyborg concept was basically the Big Robocop in Robocop 2, the one with the brain, eyes, and spinal chord, and General Grievous with the heart (and maybe lungs in Grievous's case, I forget.) The facial close-ups had some nice detail, and I thought they might have a little nano-tech going on, but they didn't go there.

I think it's kinda funny that they copped their ending from 21 Grams and John Q and in now way downplayed their intended seriousness. Like I said, the Bale Blowup makes perfect sense now, having to play it straight the whole movie, he must of been soooo wound up.

Meanwhile, my mom was wondering how many Transformers were in the movie. I mentioned that in the first movie they had the flying ships and stuff, but yeah, they just went all out and threw a little bit of everything into this one. It was a Cinematic Sci-fi We Are The World.

I mean, the boombox playing You Could Be Mine and the Jeep (though not a vintage wrangler like at the end of T1) with Rooster playing...

And a TON of other stuff that should have been done with a wink and a smile.

And they never did explain what they were doing corralling humans... You could tie it into Marcus, but he was a 15 year old cadaver at that point and he made it off the assembly line... And that is probably where a sequel would come in, or at least a tie-in to the now canceled tv show. I can't remember, did the T3 skin people and use their flesh for disguises??

chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

wilsmith wrote:
Then again, I have never seen American Pyscho, and I hear that sort of ruins Christian Bale for some people, and they can only think of him in that movie whenever they see him. But hey, the first thing I saw him in was Reign of Fire

That's me to a "T". I guess it was because Bale fit the role in American Pyscho so well. It was such a memorable performance. Not really like an oscar type film or acting but he physically looked like the pompous ass serial killer and the role just seemed to come so easy to him.