Laughing City

If we must choose one to rule out, which shall it be?
90's Vintage Emo and it's progenators.
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Y2k Pop-punk influenced pogoers.
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Friends I had that were deep off into the punk scene at my college in 98' begrudgingly called their band Emo. For me, Emo was this middle road between a lot of different stuff:

Grunge + Post-Punk + Art Rock + Prog Rock = Emo

The Bands I knew of that fit into that mold for me were the obvious ones, that I discovered via recommendations:

Sunny Day Real Estate, Elliott, Christie Front Drive, Karate, Braid
and a little later
Further Seems Forever, At the Drive-In, Pedro the Lion

Plus there were bands that always seems to be just on the edge of being emo like: Quicksand/ Rival Schools, Shudder to Think, Deftones

But then something happened, and it took a decidedly pop punk turn...
It sort of co-relates with Blink-182, Dashboard Confessional going electric, and the Juliana Theory if I remember correctly. I never saw Blink as Emo by that old standard, and the Juliana Theory didn't quite work for me either, but Dashboard's unplugged became the Emo breakthrough, but they ditched the mood for faster songs, more upbeat sounding material, and Power ballads proper (Vindicated? meh). Then came the Screamo Bands, which seemed like the rightful heirs to good old 90's Emo, along with some super progged out bands, and bands that started out closer to pop-punk but got harder and more focused:

Finch, Thrice, Thursday, the Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, A Perfect Circle, Taking Back Sunday, Brand New

C & C seemed to blend the line cause A Favor House Atlantic milked the pop punk thing while their albums were pretty pure 90's type emo.

I am not mentioning the bands people call emo now cause most folks don't know what they are anymore. I know the Used gets the label, and outside of the Screams, the music was pretty standard rock as I remember up till recently.

Of the band I like now that I would align with "Emo Classic":

Receiving End of Sirens, Circa Survive, Engine Down, Chasing Victory, the Classic Crime, Copeland's 1st 2 albums, Explosions in the Sky, National Skyline, Vedera's 1st record, Saosin.

I'm always looking for music like the above.

Thoughts, bands?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

Further Seems Forever is always the first band that comes to my mind when I think of emo.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah, I think a lot of people think of them, cause there songs were incredible technical and well arranged, full of counter-melodies and changing time signatures and keys mid-tune, still on beat. Then somebody coined the term "Math-Rock" and muddied the waters so Emo was the Used, and Saves the Day.

Lately I hear people calling Say Anything, New Found Glory, Yellowcard, Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, and My Chemical Romance Emo bands. At one point people were calling Jimmy Eat World Emo too.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I've always hated the "emo" name, but the bands I heard were always like post-post-hardcore. So that's all it was to me until I heard the term "emo" around 2000 or so. And Jimmy Eat World was one of the bands labeled it.

Now, the music labeled emo seems to be hyper homogenized. It's like at some point, there was this big Emo Conference, and they all decided on the most emoest parts to put into any song called emo, and then they decided they would only use those parts from now on. From that point, they have been copying some dude's screaming vocals repeatedly, and it drives me bonkers. It's not just a scream, it's a scream imitating someone else's scream. EVERY TIME. Shocked

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yup yup yup... I would have to say, the original Emoest singer is Kurt Cobain in my book, but nobody could get that voice down, his voice was just so cool to hear. After him, about the time Mellon Collie came out Pumpkins music peaked and they seemed to be a band that a lot of the "emo" groups borrowed chords and progressions from, but played them Fugazi style.

I would throw a bone to Kurt with that last "Ah Denial!" putting that kinda screaming in the mainstream in a BIG way, on the #1 song after all, and that "Cage!!!" scream on Bullet with Butterfly Wings just before the bridge just might be the one that put it over the top and laid out the template we hear all the time now.

I think JEW's Static Prevails and early stuff is the reason they got stuck with that label. As of Clarity I think Emo as a label was a wash, but then again, if Clarity is considered Emo, that explains why some people thing Death Cab For Cutie is Emo, up till Transatlanticism atleast.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

I'll settle this real quick.
before mass popularity= emocore
after Avril= emo

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^uhm... nonononononono. Avril has nothing to do with Avril. She was and will always be Pop-Rock. In my self-righteous, recovering music snob world, she has never been anything but a Pop artist, the template Disney has cribbed for 10 years running.

She's as Emo as Mighty Mighty Bosstones are Ska. So even though I get the distinction you're trying to make, I must reject it on the basis of your citation. I mean, you're gonna play Complicated and tell me that is somehow related to Emo???

MoreOfTheSame
Vintage Newbie

An emo thread without someone mentioning Rites of Spring and/or Jade Tree Records?

I'm stunned.

Flickr
Transvaal IV - Myspace : Virb
Deep Thoughts About Shallow Subjects
Joined: 02 Sep 2003 | Posts: 2455 | Location: Grapevine, TX
Russell
Golly, Poster

never thought that avril was promoted as an "emo" artist, unless it was different in the states. Still, she even came around before the whole new emo trend and I always thought she was just that commercial pop punk princess

I miss the old emo - the unity and energy of the hardcore scene, but more melodic and with earnest lyrics, side-stepping the political themes

I really don't know how it turned into such stupidity from what began in the mid 80s and the DC scene. Now the term is so broad - starting off with pop punk and metal bands who liked the dc scene and it showing a little in the music they play to a pop phrase to stick on any band who sing about relationships that are kind of a little punk but are just a big boring rock band in disguise. Now every band is emo because it's fashion, it's a haircut, it's overly dramatic poetry, it's the beat down and the scream and melodically singing vocal lines and teenagers will latch onto that cause they feel these words and melodies express their lives and will keep coining this phrase.

The sad fact is a lot of the time these kids have no idea on what emo was originally. You mention Iain MacKaye and you'll get a "who?", you mention braid or cap'n jazz and you'll get a blank stare. If you're lucky you might get a "oh, my brother used to listen to the get up kids back in college"
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

A-freakin'-men! I also can't figure out what "hardcore" has to do with hardcore. It seems to have some wannabe death metal cousin or something ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Russell
Golly, Poster

TheAntrider wrote:
A-freakin'-men! I also can't figure out what "hardcore" has to do with hardcore. It seems to have some wannabe death metal cousin or something ...

seriously, I get excited when I hear a band is apparently post-hardcore and then find out it's just metalcore.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

"core" is just the knew suffix of choice. It used to be hyphenated-rock as in:

Garage, Punk, Folk, Soft, Alternative, Southern, Country, Indie, College, Glam, Math, Funk, Stoner, Grunge, Stadium, Modern etc...

When they coined Heavy Metal, you knew it would happen, but why wasn't there a "Light" Metal? we got Speed, Death, Hair, Nu, and Black, but that's about all I know of...

and "Core" seems to have taken over as the easiest suffix to use to create new sub genre's out of, but it's a stretch.

Maybe it's a backlash to how all encompassing Alternative became?

All I know is, back in the day "Emo" was a bad word for good bands, and though I didn't get into every emo band that was out, it was a good starting point. Oddly enough, here are a band that I initially would have called Emo when I first heard them back in 98':

Modest Mouse

and after that:

Thursday (obviously)
Sparta

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Yeah, I think we have genre confusion more than ever. People have come up with so many names and classifications that every band can adopt 2 or 3, but people are so stuck up about things that actual mixing of styles is frowned upon. When was the last time you heard many new "indie" bands toss in a heavily distorted guitar without getting befuddled looks and complaints about going "metal"? It doesn't happen nearly as much anymore.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
^uhm... nonononononono. Avril has nothing to do with Avril. She was and will always be Pop-Rock. In my self-righteous, recovering music snob world, she has never been anything but a Pop artist, the template Disney has cribbed for 10 years running.

She's as Emo as Mighty Mighty Bosstones are Ska. So even though I get the distinction you're trying to make, I must reject it on the basis of your citation. I mean, you're gonna play Complicated and tell me that is somehow related to Emo???

My point was that after Avril kids started getting into pop-punk and 'emo'.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

See, I trace the Pop-Punk PowerPuff generation to Green Day, and the Offspring. The Offspring were never 100% punk anyway, but they got looked at that way early on for some reason. Green Day always was, and have been unyieldingly popular since Dookie, and progressively less stereotypically punk along the way.

I can't really take Avril as the gateway drug to Pop-Punk & Emo, all she had was a bratty attitude, a good voice, and a stylist. To me, there is a line from Pink to her music straight to Hliary Duff, then Ashley Simpson, down to Hannah Montana, with Kelly Clarkson and Michelle Branch playing wingman.

Sum 41, as goofy as I thought they were, had more to do with Pop-punk music and got super popular to start (but have gone flatter than a 2 liter opened 2 weeks ago). Good thing she married that guy to get some cred, like Pink did the X-Games Moto-X dude.

So, in 2002, that's when Avril broke, she opened the door to Emo for a generation??? Not with her music, but exposing kids to the style and attitude?

Okay, I'm just saying that's the year Bleed American came out and there was this song with people dancing in their underwear at a house party, it sounded a whole lot like Freedy Johnston to me, but it was called the Middle, by some Emo band from AZ...