Laughing City

If we must choose one to rule out, which shall it be?
90's Vintage Emo and it's progenators.
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Y2k Pop-punk influenced pogoers.
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

The thing is that today, people (idiot middle school kids) use the term to describe music they think is whiney $#@!, but og emo was a pejorative, so they're not exactly dead-wrong.
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I have heard a lot of people calling The Promise Ring emo. Not sure why.
Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
See, I trace the Pop-Punk PowerPuff generation to Green Day, and the Offspring. The Offspring were never 100% punk anyway, but they got looked at that way early on for some reason. Green Day always was, and have been unyieldingly popular since Dookie, and progressively less stereotypically punk along the way.

I can't really take Avril as the gateway drug to Pop-Punk & Emo, all she had was a bratty attitude, a good voice, and a stylist. To me, there is a line from Pink to her music straight to Hliary Duff, then Ashley Simpson, down to Hannah Montana, with Kelly Clarkson and Michelle Branch playing wingman.

Sum 41, as goofy as I thought they were, had more to do with Pop-punk music and got super popular to start (but have gone flatter than a 2 liter opened 2 weeks ago). Good thing she married that guy to get some cred, like Pink did the X-Games Moto-X dude.

So, in 2002, that's when Avril broke, she opened the door to Emo for a generation??? Not with her music, but exposing kids to the style and attitude?

Okay, I'm just saying that's the year Bleed American came out and there was this song with people dancing in their underwear at a house party, it sounded a whole lot like Freedy Johnston to me, but it was called the Middle, by some Emo band from AZ...

I remember hearing "Complicated" on one day, and going to school the next and seeing all these girls in ties. So I stand by what I said. It's kinda like Poison introduced a bunch of kids into 'real' metal.
But the thing about the popularity of pop-punk and emo is that it came out at the end of nu-metal, boy bands, and the clean teen queens. And Avril invited girls to take part of the scene.

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I knew you were going there... You're meaning as a Sub-Culture, in the same way wearing Dr. Marten's and Flannel Shirts meant you were into Grunge back in 1991. Meanwhile I'm talking music pretty much exclusively. I could care less about girls wearing ties with Vintage T's and cut up socks on their forearms, Gwen Stefani style, before she got her popstar makeover.

All the stuff about the lyrics and winyness goes back to the grunge influence, since it was supposed to be depressing and emotional music. If that's al it takes to make a band emo, any band that has songs about getting your angst and heart ache is Emo. That would be make Emo the hugest genre EVER, sheesh, Leadbelly and Robert Johnson were so EMO, heck King David was writing EMO PSALMS...

come on...

Sheeesh, Elvis (classic, not Vegas) was Emo cause he wore skinny jeans, eyeliner and had a Pompadour.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I knew you were going there... You're meaning as a Sub-Culture, in the same way wearing Dr. Marten's and Flannel Shirts meant you were into Grunge back in 1991. Meanwhile I'm talking music pretty much exclusively. I could care less about girls wearing ties with Vintage T's and cut up socks on their forearms, Gwen Stefani style, before she got her popstar makeover.

All the stuff about the lyrics and winyness goes back to the grunge influence, since it was supposed to be depressing and emotional music. If that's al it takes to make a band emo, any band that has songs about getting your angst and heart ache is Emo. That would be make Emo the hugest genre EVER, sheesh, Leadbelly and Robert Johnson were so EMO, heck King David was writing EMO PSALMS...

come on...

Sheeesh, Elvis (classic, not Vegas) was Emo cause he wore skinny jeans, eyeliner and had a Pompadour.

I was actually referring to how people get into music not necessarily the 'sub-culture'. I'm not saying that Avril made any contributions to the emo genre. But what she did do was get a lot of suburban middle class girls interested punk. So yeah, in 2002 they bought Let Go, then in 2003 they bought The Young and the Hopeless, then they started to get into Brand New, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, et cetera. That's why I said 'post-Avril'. I watched this go down in school. I remember when I was in the 10th grade there were about 2 'emo' kids in the entire school. Then by the time I was a senior, the entire art wing looked like an MCR video. Rolling Eyes

But you're dead on in the second paragraph. I've been saying that for years. You have all these ass-hole critics who hate emo, but then go back and praise Robert Johnson. "LOVE IN VAIN"? I know where they're coming from. They see these old black guys who had hard lives, mistreated and abused by whitey, and think, "Wow, the beauty of suffering!" Then they see these skinny pale suburban boys talking about their failed relationships and think, "Shut UP!" But if you really listen to the Blues, most of the best loved songs of the genre are about 'women who don't act right'. For the record, I can name every emo band that I like on one hand. I'm just playing the devil's advocate.

The only part that I disagree about in the second paragraph is the 'grunge' influence. I think there is one, but it didn't all come out of 'grunge'. It was there in the mid-80s in 'emocore'. What grunge did was tell a lot of kids to write 'good' songs you have to talk about your problems. And coming out of Hair Metal, I think it was the right for the age. The problem with that was that you started getting catalogs of everything that when wrong in the songwriters' past. Some did it well and others just sucked at it.

1) I didn't get the fire truck I wanted for Christmas when I was 5.
2) My dad missed my baseball game when I was 12 because he had to work. Rolling Eyes
3) My girlfriend cheated on me when I was 15.
4) That other girl cheated on me when I was 17.
5) That another girl did it...
6) et cetera

...ALBUM!
And you find that in damn near every genre these days. I think that what few songwriters have done, and people need to do more of is stop bitching and start taking credit for your misfortunes or show copping strategies. One of my favorite songs that does that is "Sofia" by Blackblack. I know what a lot of songwriters say..."Writing is how I cope!" Yeah, well it still sounds like crap.

Oh, and you forgot that Elvis wore black and pink! Shocked

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

I've always felt that Weezer was kind of emo. Anyone else agree with me?
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

ya bro!

and black and red are the colors you were going for, bj.

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

freakinalex wrote:
I've always felt that Weezer was kind of emo. Anyone else agree with me?

Meh, Pinkerton influenced a bunch of emo bands. But hey, The Ronettes influenced the Ramones. So does that make the Ronettes punk?
The Ramones influence Motörhead. Does that Make the Ramones Heavy Metal? The Beatles influenced Nirvana. Does that make The Beatles grunge? I could go on and on...

Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
ya bro!

and black and red are the colors you were going for, bj.

He wore pink too.

TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Nightmare wrote:
I have heard a lot of people calling The Promise Ring emo. Not sure why.

Actually, I think they were always associated with that group. It makes more sense if you think about that music's history, as opposed to what's called "emo" now ...

Also:

Please someone know what that is ...

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Dr. Katz...we've had a thread on that show on this forum, too, I believe.

And I mean black and red are the emo colors...not pink!

DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I actually just figured out how to play the song that Dr. Katz plays at the open mic night that he wrote about Ben:

"A boy, a bike, a heart so full / a mom, a dad, and a little stuffed bull"

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Dr. Katz...we've had a thread on that show on this forum, too, I believe.

And I mean black and red are the emo colors...not pink!

I've seen emos wear black and pink.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Pantheon4 wrote:

The only part that I disagree about in the second paragraph is the 'grunge' influence.

What I meant by that is, that is when Critcs felt so bold as to diss an artist cause they thought "the world wanted to hear them whine about their problems." As I recall one critic quipping. Not coming from the writers of the music, but the first wave of snarky self-referential (and reverential) music snobs I'd ever come across in my life.

As far as the Beatles, Helter Skelter was a Grunge song. Very Happy But credit where credit is due, they influenced the pop side of Nirvana more than the Rawk side. In Bloom, About a Girl, Love Buzz, Serve the Servants, Anuerysm , brilliant Beatles rip-offs! Wink

Pinkerton yeah, that one's cited alot. But it was sort of an album, more so than the band getting credited as highly influential. Weezer was like this weird concoction what picked up the best pop parts of the Pixies ad Nirvana, and gave them an L. A. sheen. If we're gonna call them Emo, that explains alot of the confusion.

Since when are Black & Red NOT Goth and suddenly EMO??? Black & Pink, that's Brett the Hitman Hart* that has nothing to do with MUSIC! See that's what I'm getting at, Emo was never a color scheme!!!
Evil or Very Mad

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

You see... I don't really think that Goth is a 'scene' anymore. It's more like a shade laid over a larger genre. It's just that the 'nu-punk' bands are calling it 'emo'.