Laughing City

Who do you think is the best of these christian artists?
Michael W. Smith
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Amy Grant
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
Steven Curtis Chapman
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

kitty anne
Sea Post King

You choose.
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

The better question is:

Who's a better Christian?

Mother Theresa

or Me.

kitty anne
Sea Post King

JBaker wrote:
The better question is:

Who's a better Christian?

Mother Theresa

or Me.

Why don't YOU tell me??
guitarfreak217
Vintage Newbie

I voted Stephen Curtis Chapman because his music doesn't annoy me.
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

SADDLE UP YOOOUR HORSES!

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

MWS.
Pantheon4
Vintage Newbie

That one that doesn't suck. Oh... christian artist... they all suck! Very Happy

It’s probably better to have him inside the tent pissing out, than outside the tent pissing in.

"Can we get control of an individual to the point where he will do our bidding against his will and even against fundamental laws of nature, such as self preservation?" -memo from 1952 Project ARTICHOKE

Joined: 19 Aug 2004 | Posts: 10565 | Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Wow, even when I went through my no-secular-music phase, I didn't waste any time on these guys. I stuck to the Christian music that had at least a modicum of artistic merit, which limited me to Sixpence None the Richer, Jars of Clay, Third Day, and a little Caedmon's Call (but only the stuff Derek Webb wrote).

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I picked Amy Grant cause I saw her do this thing where it was like a Pre-Lillith Fair showcase that had her, Heart, Wynona Judd, Cyndi Lauper, The Indigo Girls (I think) or was it Melissa Etheridge???, and she played with on of the latter, and did some of the ensemble pieces. It really showcased how good a singer she was, how adept she was at phrasing, and her guitar chops when she did some solo covers was pretty keen to.

I never was taken by any of their individual work cause I don't even care for secular artists who did that kind of music with a few exceptions, mainly because they cut their Soft Rock with a bit more grief and angst, which I was feeling at that time cause I was like 11-17 when they all had their turns in the sun. I'm pretty sure Jars of Clay was the first successful artist with the Christian label I heard making music I'd like at that point in my life. It wouldn't happen again until P.O.D. (I didn't even know they were cause I only liked Southtown )and Switchfoot (more than anything, when I heard Meant To Live, my first exposure to them, I took it as a Anti-War song as much as a Christian rallying cry).

Then again, for a lot of people U2 was the first huge Christian band. Whether that's true or not is in the eye of the beholder.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
Then again, for a lot of people U2 was the first huge Christian band. Whether that's true or not is in the eye of the beholder.

The creators of the U2charist think so!

While a Biblical references and religious messages have been liberally scattered through U2 songs since they began, I think it was a lot more blatant and (for lack of a better word) pure around the time War came out, when Bono, Edge, and Larry Mullen Jr. were doing Bible studies in the back of the tour van. That's the classic spiritual journey for you--the doe-eyed optimism of youth gives way to self-importance, followed by irony, and after you hit rock bottom ("Wake Up Dead Man") you come full circle and release "Moment of Surrender".

Well, not everyone's spiritual journey.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Even on their most Ironic recordings that had a few "Pssst... Pastor? The Praise band want's to work in a cover of this new U2 song into service, is that cool?" -type songs. Bono's a persistent sonova gun! Dude wen't from Prank Calling George H. W. Bush to meeting with the Pope, the Secretary General of the UN and all sorts of head's of state, And making sure there was always some overtly religious track on just about each U2 album.

BTW - that link, I was not ready for that.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
lobster_pirate
Golly, Poster

§ i choose u2... only because none of the other 3 are familiar to me music wise... and the only name of those i know is amy grant Smile... §
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

I am not familiar with any of those people's music. I prefer the devil's music such as Sabbath and Alice in Chains. Evil or Very Mad
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Laughing man, I honestly have to agree wholeheartedly!

boone
Vintage Newbie

Hank Williams, Sr.