Laughing City

How walkable is your neighborhood?
90–100 = Walkers' Paradise: Most errands can be accomplished on foot and many people get by without owning a car.
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
70–89 = Very Walkable: It's possible to get by without owning a car.
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
50–69 = Somewhat Walkable: Some stores and amenities are within walking distance, but many everyday trips still require a bike, public transportation, or car.
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
25–49 = Car-Dependent: Only a few destinations are within easy walking range. For most errands, driving or public transportation is a must.
32%
 32%  [ 15 ]
0–24 = Car-Dependent (Driving Only): Virtually no neighborhood destinations within walking range. You can walk from your house to your car!
19%
 19%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

My home gets a 60. My work gets a 94. So I guess I should just live at my place of work! Well, except that I don't want to live in downtown Milwaukee.
chasd00
it's pronounced "chasdew"

my home address got a 72

they listed Passion Sport's bar (1.31 miles) under "bars". Someone got murdered there a few months ago though so no thanks heh. The nearest bar i'd actually go to is about 2 miles away.

my old address got a 98 :(

ync
Golly, Poster

my college that i'm currently attending in cambridge, MA scored a 92 of walkability Razz it's really quite nice i love taking walks around here

however my house back in maine scored a 22 haha

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

http://www.walkscore.com/

My new residence scored an 83, which is in the Longfellow neighborhood in Minneapolis.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

You'd think I lived buried deep in the mountains armpit with a score like 18%. Maybe I just feel that way. I can walk to a Peach Stand it seems, and fill up on peaches. Too bad I don't like them unless they are peach ring candies.
Last edited by Kylee Janai on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I first did this when I was still in Minnesota, and I had a semi-walkable neighborhood. I'm back in Texas these days, and my area got a 38. I think it's actually worse than that, too, because some of the things weren't accurate. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

TheAntrider wrote:
I first did this when I was still in Minnesota, and I had a semi-walkable neighborhood. I'm back in Texas these days, and my area got a 38. I think it's actually worse than that, too, because some of the things weren't accurate. Laughing

Semi-walkable 8 months of the year anyway, when it isn't -40 out. Where did you live?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

98/100. DANG. Smile
However, "walkable" and "rollable" are 2 different things.
My immediate neighborhood isn't very wheelchair friendly 'cause the sidewalks are king of sucky but the neighborhood where my school is is flawless.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

My new home: Walk Score: 62 Somewhat Walkable

That's an improvement from last time, I think... Confused

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
kulvir
Laughing Citizen

My neighborhood has gone from 62 to 88 over the last year. The new condo towers nearby have brought in many new shops, including a supermarket.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

My socal home got an 18.
My norcal home got a 28.

Bummer.

crusso
Sea Post King

My home got a 23. I would think with a bicycle you could get to most places pretty easily, but it would involve crossing some fairly major intersections where there's a lot of traffic. There is definitely not a lot within walking distance though.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

DRMS_7888 wrote:
TheAntrider wrote:

Semi-walkable 8 months of the year anyway, when it isn't -40 out. Where did you live?

Ha ha, true. I lived in Eagan, right next to Burnsville. And I lived in Burnsville briefly before that.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

When did this thread zombie?
Could have sworn I posted to it last time around... maybe I just voted.

71 for me-
just made "very walkable" although whether it really is depends on what you're willing to confine yourself to doing. If you like to booze, drink coffee, eat at restaurants and shop for furniture and quirky women's clothing, its a 99. If you like to do anything else.... somewhat less.

It did surprise me that my 'hood is only at the 80th percentile for neighborhoods in Dallas; thought we'd do better by comparison. The 90th percentile cutoff here is an 85.

Maybe we get penalized for being in a little neighborhood of single-family zoning? who knows.

Doesn't help that we are almost exactly equidistant between two Dart stops though, making it not exactly a short walk to either.

----
I will say that Eisley has some exceedingly well heeled fans on its board though;

We've got one with a house in Edinburgh and a flat in Glasgow, and another with their Norcal house and a Socal house, etc....
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:

I will say that Eisley has some exceedingly well heeled fans on its board though;

We've got one with a house in Edinburgh and a flat in Glasgow, and another with their Norcal house and a Socal house, etc....

That was misleading of me. I own no houses. Me mum and dad live in Sacramento, while I'm living with my Aunt and Uncle down in Orange County. I'm not well heeled, but well loved. Very Happy