15%  [ 3 ]
No
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 19

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:

As far as the spoken intros, I guess McCartney didn't care for them, since he took them off of the "Naked" album, but I haven't heard of him resenting them for making fun of his songs. McCartney was known for being pretty insulting to his bandmates (apparently all in good fun, though), so he'd seem like kind of a jerk if he could dish it out, but couldn't take it. He does seem to portray himself as the Sensitive Beatle, though.

On the other hand, take a look at this video right here. This was recorded during the recording of The Beach Boys' Smile. It was well known that Mike Love quite audibly hated the album because it didn't have any singles, but moreso because he hated VanDyke Parks' lyrics, and probably even moreso because Brian Wilson was becoming the leader of the band, and not co-writing with him anymore. Him taking the time to slag off "Heroes and Villains" on tape would be a pretty jerk move, right? Except this recording was written by Brian Wilson, and Brian was apparently cracking up in the control room the whole time. So, even in bad situations where people hate each other, it's not impossible to have a bit of a sense of humor about it. We can't always assume.

It's still a different thing when it's on an actual commercially released recording - and this the biggest band ever.

I am quite well read on the Smile saga, but I had never seen that to my knowledge. Too bad the sound is too muffled for me to get anything from it. That would have actually to have been released under the Beach Boys name to equal Let it Be though.

boone
Vintage Newbie

I believe it was sent out to radio programs as a comedy sketch or something. It's pretty controversial these days, because people don't know that it was a joke. It's explained pretty well in the book Catch a Wave.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
controversial these days

Where is this controversial?

boone
Vintage Newbie

Amongst Mike Love haters? Look at the comments on the video. Everybody's calling him a prick. Which...he is, but not for that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

One wonders if Mike Love and the rest of the group was supporting him during this time if he would have completed Smile.......or was he too doped up that that wouldn't help either way?

The world will never know...

I just wish Capitol would release an official box set of all the Smile sessions. There are already bootlegs, but why not do an official with the highest quality available? I think it would sell relatively well. When he did the new recording would have been the best time to 'Capitol'ize, but it's never too late.

boone
Vintage Newbie

Everybody was just kind of half supportive, but with this constant picking at him mixed with a dependence on him giving them something that would blow the world away. All the pressure pretty much came down on him, and he had gone way too far into drugs, and his mind was too weak to deal with it all, which ended up with him having one of his famous breakdowns, and they had to record the stripped down, lethargic Smiley Smile in his house.

I don't remember who owns the master tapes. Do they even belong to Capitol anymore? Wilson used them to help him remember what he was trying to do while doing his re-recording, and I'm not sure if Capitol had them at that time.
golly andrew
Laughing Citizen

Late to the party.

But have we heard of this?

Link.
Limited Edition USB of 2009 Remastered set.
FLAC 44.1 Khz 24 bit and MP3 320 Kbps formats.

I've been on a Beatles kick again recently and have been seriously considering getting this, especially since I haven't heard them yet...

Until I downloaded them last night in 320 kbps.

brb, listening in order.
Please Please Me sounds amazing so far.
Joined: 23 Mar 2005 | Posts: 1919 | Location: In a glass case of emotion
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

golly andrew wrote:
Late to the party.

Link.

I've been on a Beatles kick again recently and have been seriously considering getting this, especially since I haven't heard them yet...

brb, listening in order.

I saw that a few months ago.
I thought it was really cool, but I'm still glad I bought the CD set.

uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Oh yeah, so I don't think I told this story. My friend bought the CD set in stereo from Amazon. But when he got it the Magical Mystery Tour case contained the Help! CD, so he had two of Help! and none of Magical Mystery Tour. He told Amazon about this, and for some reason they refunded him the entire amount and said they'll replace it if he sends the set back in. So of course he just kept it and took the refunded money and bought MMT for $12 or whatever, and now has the entire set (plus and extra copy of Help!) for basically $12.

Pretty cool, huh? And he was nice enough to let me "borrow" it. Pure bliss.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I wonder how common that error was? That set as is, if that error was rare, might end up being worth a good chunk of change some day, or not.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Mooncutter
Lost at Forum

golly andrew wrote:
Late to the party.

Link.

brb, listening in order.

If you're going to download it anyway you better have gotten mono.

Vintage Newbie

since my last post i bought the mono box set.

now i see multiple copies around in stores, so they definitely made a lot more.

Pepper is a lot better in mono to me - that is the only one i've really really listened to in mono.

my first listens to Revolver and MMT in mono though, i may prefer the stereo versions.