Laughing City
JohnnyWalker
Sea Post King

Forgive me for not posting to the "newbies" thread, but I didn't think I'd get noticed at the bottom of a 310 page thread Razz

Having said that, I'd like to introduce myself and tell little story if you all would care to hear it. It was the summer of 2006 and I was working at a guitar store. Naturally, I got exposed to a lot of music and musicians with such a job. One day my coworker came up to me and randomly started complaining about a "terrible band that opened for Coldplay... it was a bunch of little girls singing about unicorns and lollipops." Well, this guy and I were musical opposites, so I became strangely intrigued and decided to check Eisley out. I picked up Room Noises and It was one of the best things I've ever done. I was immediately drawn to the unique artwork on the album liner and instantly knew that I had stumbled upon something unique and special. I then put on my headphones, hit play, closed my eyes, and from the opening line of Memories, I got swept away. The melodies, the perfect and beautiful vocals, dreamy harmonies, and simple but heavily profound lyrics have cast a most powerful spell on me. Since then, I have devoured every album and song I could get my hands on, and still listen to them every day. They get most of the action on my MP3 player.

My musical preferences are quite diverse; I like classic heavy metal like Rainbow and 70's Scorpions, Irish music like Gaelic Storm and Flogging Molly, modern power metal like Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, etc, reggae like Bob Marley and Matisyahu, and my favorite band is a Celtic folk metal band from Spain named Mago de Oz.

I find it funny that I don't even remotely like many of the bands Eisley are compared to such as Radiohead and Coldplay (no offense guys). I find it ludicrous that people even TRY to label Eisley as "indie" or "pop", because I think labels are for cans, not music. Just with my ear to guide me, I've long ago determined that Eisley sounds like nothing else, and nothing else sounds like Eisley. They stand alone, they define a genre.

So here I am. It has never occurred to me to reach out to the Eisley community until now, but now that I have, I hope I've landed among friends.

I'll close with a question that I've contemplated for a while: What is the overall theme of the song Marvelous Things? I definitely have the meaning figured out for myself, but I'm intrigued by reading others' responses.

"Con tus besos forjé mi espada y mi armadura."

Joined: 04 Nov 2009 | Posts: 10 | Location: Northern Illinois, USA, Earth
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

i think i kinda understand where your co-worker comes from cause i didn't like eisley till much later cause the childlike quality just didn't come for me. however, i'll agree i can't stand coldplay. radiohead i like, but select albums

to me marvelous things is about dream world and wanting to live in a world of your imaginations.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Welcome! Smile

As for Marvelous Things, I think the line near the end of the song explains it fairly well, "Oh lying in the sun, everyday feeling all of the magic in life
and the wonder..." If you take into account that they were kids when the song was first written, I think it is clear.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

You are among friends, very colorful, thoughtful, and opinionated friends.

Marvelous Things:

The chorus is what really makes the sentiment of the song to me. I think about that part, and it's something I would sing to a child to reassure them when there were scared by the things that go "bump" and the harshness of the life we adults reside in.

They were young when they wrote it, but they also have younger siblings etc. that I'm sure they've comforted, along with each other. It's not a lullaby per se', but the chorus could be.

******Duh, Lyrics******
Dark night...hold tight, and sleep tight
my baby
Morning light...shall burst bright
and keep us here safely

the chord change, the harmony, the uplift of this chorus, it really swept me off my feet on first listen. And if and when I have children, I will sing it to them.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

JohnnyWalker wrote:
I picked up Room Noises and It was one of the best things I've ever done. I was immediately drawn to the unique artwork on the album liner and instantly knew that I had stumbled upon something unique and special. I then put on my headphones, hit play, closed my eyes, and from the opening line of Memories, I got swept away. The melodies, the perfect and beautiful vocals, dreamy harmonies, and simple but heavily profound lyrics have cast a most powerful spell on me. Since then, I have devoured every album and song I could get my hands on, and still listen to them every day. They get most of the action on my MP3 player.

I find it funny that I don't even remotely like many of the bands Eisley are compared to such as Radiohead and Coldplay (no offense guys). I find it ludicrous that people even TRY to label Eisley as "indie" or "pop", because I think labels are for cans, not music. Just with my ear to guide me, I've long ago determined that Eisley sounds like nothing else, and nothing else sounds like Eisley. They stand alone, they define a genre.

So here I am. It has never occurred to me to reach out to the Eisley community until now, but now that I have, I hope I've landed among friends.

Among friends? Hell, I thought you were me reading these particular sections. You describe exactly the same way I got sucked into their musical realm, "spell" is the same word I've used when I listened to Room Noises start-to-finish at least once a day for nearly 2 straight months back in 2005. I agree, no band shares their combination of voices, style, themes, and dynamics, they are a genre unto themselves. Welcome to LC.

To me Marvelous Things shows affection for the ability to dream, imagine, and even experience nightmares without actually suffering harm, and further expresses a wide-eyed fascination with a real world that can inspire such thoughts.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

JohnnyWalker wrote:
Forgive me for not posting to the "newbies" thread, but I didn't think I'd get noticed at the bottom of a 310 page thread Razz

Having said that, I'd like to introduce myself and tell little story if you all would care to hear it. It was the summer of 2006 and I was working at a guitar store. Naturally, I got exposed to a lot of music and musicians with such a job. One day my coworker came up to me and randomly started complaining about a "terrible band that opened for Coldplay... it was a bunch of little girls singing about unicorns and lollipops." Well, this guy and I were musical opposites, so I became strangely intrigued and decided to check Eisley out. I picked up Room Noises and It was one of the best things I've ever done. I was immediately drawn to the unique artwork on the album liner and instantly knew that I had stumbled upon something unique and special. I then put on my headphones, hit play, closed my eyes, and from the opening line of Memories, I got swept away. The melodies, the perfect and beautiful vocals, dreamy harmonies, and simple but heavily profound lyrics have cast a most powerful spell on me. Since then, I have devoured every album and song I could get my hands on, and still listen to them every day. They get most of the action on my MP3 player.

My musical preferences are quite diverse; I like classic heavy metal like Rainbow and 70's Scorpions, Irish music like Gaelic Storm and Flogging Molly, modern power metal like Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, etc, reggae like Bob Marley and Matisyahu, and my favorite band is a Celtic folk metal band from Spain named Mago de Oz.

I'll close with a question that I've contemplated for a while: What is the overall theme of the song Marvelous Things? I definitely have the meaning figured out for myself, but I'm intrigued by reading others' responses.
I also like the point about trying to put a label on Eisley. That to me is like the now cliche "tying to herd cats," or as a surgeon I know says "trying to sew farts to moon beams," you just can't do it! I can envision people someday saying a band is 'Eisley like,' but you can't say any band is like Eisley, because they define the genre! Smile
rmlawrence
Vintage Newbie

Why have I never heard this song about unicorns?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
marshking
Sea Post King

rmlawrence wrote:

Haha, or Lollipops? I've heard so many people mention both unicorns AND lollipops (or other candy) when referring to Eisley and I kind of just roll my eyes.

I'm glad the new guy didn't listen to his co-worker Wink haha.

Maybe the band can give us a song about unicorns AND lollipops (gumdrops, etc) on record 4... I suppose that can come after record 3 comes out though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Welcome! That was a very compelling and entertaining introduction. My own initiation into the world of Eisley came in 2005 or 6 after I watched the Marvelous Things music video on Yahoo! music, after which I bought Room Noises, and you can figure the rest out, I'm sure.

Speaking of which:

I agree with everyone else for the most part about the song. The childlike, whimsically nonsensical lyrics of the verses ("i followed a rabbit through rows of mermaid entwined shrubbery") detail the various things a child would encounter throughout the day. The "horses growing out the lawn" aren't really growing like plants, but a child, upon seeing a bunch of horses standing in a field, might think it so.

"But they are, they are giving me the creeps," plays on the terrific quality of the world when you're 3 feet tall and have never seen a "bat with butterfly wings" before. It's a song about looking at the world with fresh eyes and experiencing all of the "magic and might and the wonder" it has to offer.

The chorus, then, acts as a lullaby-esque reassurance that the world is marvelous and that "morning light shall burst bright" and everything will be alright.

http://inconnumag.com
anotherrandomtuesday
Vintage Newbie

marshking wrote:
rmlawrence wrote:

Haha, or Lollipops? I've heard so many people mention both unicorns AND lollipops (or other candy) when referring to Eisley and I kind of just roll my eyes.

Maybe the band can give us a song about unicorns AND lollipops (gumdrops, etc) on record 4... I suppose that can come after record 3 comes out though.

There's already a song with gumdrops in it, duh. Rolling Eyes
Wink
Joined: 28 Jul 2005 | Posts: 4455 | Location: Sacramento, CA.
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Welcome! It's funny what kind of silly and completely inaccurate ideas people can associate with things. Anyway, good to see you here!

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Do you mean us and our takes on Marvelous Things?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
marshking
Sea Post King

anotherrandomtuesday wrote:
marshking wrote:
rmlawrence wrote:

There's already a song with gumdrops in it, duh. Rolling Eyes
Wink

My favorite Eisley song too... go figure, right?

Oh dear lord. Those emoticons just burned a hole into my soul.

Sad Darn snowflake village and all of its inhabitants. Oh well, we all flip up... right?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
happyface
Sea Post King

There's really an Eisley song about gumdrops?
If true,what's it called?Is it good?
Joined: 23 Aug 2009 | Posts: 251 | Location: The Gold City, Puerto Rico
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Mr. PINE@@@@@@@@@@