Laughing City
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I've been enjoying the "Silver Springs" cover all morning.
Now that I'm about to go out I wanted it on my Sansa Clip +.

Here's the mp3
Please don't link this elsewhere unless you rehost
I'm not sure my server can take it

http://www.blaryphotography.com/silversprings.mp3
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Not to be a killjoy... but you know now that they aren't on a label, they can sell that track themselves unfettered and you are taking it (potential income & intellectual property*) directly from the band and not a big corporate machine that's ripping them off right? Wink

Easy fix, that other indie artists use:

Paypal account for "tips", or as Juliana Hatfield once tried, the "Honor System"...

* if they did sell it I don't know if Stevie Nicks or anyone else owns the rights to it, so they might have to pay royalties themselves if they did, depending on if they got permission. The music business if a black hole of legal trickanery (sp?)

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Is this ripped from the high-quality MOV Boyd posted?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, it's a rip from the .MOV

If this is an issue I'll take it down. I'm not sure how playing the video on my G1 is okay but playing the audio only isn't.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Oh, nobody said it was or wasn't. I was just saying that sans them giving us permission do download vs. streaming, should they specify we stream only, and decide to sell the track/ or vid, the cat is out of the bag.

I have no idea of the intent. I know for one that posting it the way they did over hear made it readily downloadable, whether they wanted it to be or not. We can assume that means it's okay, but it doesn't always.

I'm just throwing the thought out there, playing devil's advocate and what not. There are a few indie artists who take it personally when people pirate their stuff, and since it is Their stuff, that changes the dynamic a bit. I thought it was worth mentioning cause down the road, it could be an issue.

That said, if you're streaming the vid and the audio on your G1 then there's no fault whatsoever, you just changed the format from video to audio. If you downloaded either, if they are allowing it to be Downloaded, that's cool too, what happens after the DL is your prerogative, but when you get into redistribution, that is Pandora's box right there.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

I can't imagine they're looking to profit from this share - they're off the corporate mindset now, remember? Very Happy
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

grain thrower wrote:
I can't imagine they're looking to profit from this share - they're off the corporate mindset now, remember? Very Happy

Laughing Unsigned = everything is free! Well, that's how it works for me.

As Wil mentioned above though, they'd probably pay out the wazoo for royalties if they tried to sell this track.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
norad
Vintage Newbie

Here's this: http://media.strangeyellowpatterns.com/audio/89/silver-spring