Laughing City
Christophjam
Sea Post King

So I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy here...I'm a huge Eisley fan and I think it was great they played the festival and I thought the new songs sound awesome live....but....

where was the love?

I'm a huge music follower and I regularly check websites like Stereogum, Spin, or spinner (the sort of "Indie" AOL) and there was no mention of Eisley's sets anywhere. I know Eisley have never been the most "indie" cred band, but I'd help they'd be able to get more alternative coverage as a result of their leaving Warner. I mean they're basically the same genre as Metric, and in the same position of having no label, and that band has been mentioned on ALL those sites. I mean I don't know how the whole exposure thing works, but I'm wondering why they don't get as much as they deserve.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Yeah I noticed too. Thing is, Eisley is making music that sidesteps trends. Not knocking Metric, but they are pretty contemporary and "of the moment" which makes them an easy fit. One thing I've learned about the press is that, no matter how "indie" or counter-culture they claim to be, the all end up covering the same stuff on Stereogum, Pitchfork, CMJ, and to an extent Rollingstone's blogs.

That's just my take. Eisley seem like they're on a path to be musician's musicians, a band that get's all the respect and appreciation of their peers, but the press will continue chasing trends like music fashionistas. I'm over it.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

Wilsmith is dead on, I think, but also I think that patience and perseverance is in order. Five years in the cattle car at a Warner label will some recovery.
When they broke around here (Dallas) they were local darlings well on their way to oozing indie cred, but the press they got after signing was all from an angle (and I don't know it this was the angle they were given by Warner or the one that decide to take) that was so focused on the "cute" back story and their ages that they ended up being portrayed as uncool as humanly possible. None of 'em gave the music a chance (just read the last review and repeated the unicorns etc story). Its gonna take a while...
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Didnt they play the paste party?
Joined: 18 Mar 2010 | Posts: 140 | Location: the dub side of the moon
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

Indeed they did! http://www.eisley.com/journals/

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

I can't find a single mention of it on the paste website.Confused I even emailed their "Is Indie Rock Dead" queen and asked for a review of the show. All she ever writes about is herself. Rolling Eyes
Joined: 18 Mar 2010 | Posts: 140 | Location: the dub side of the moon