Laughing City
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

I just discovered this band by accident and was drawn in by the harmonies and the slightly weird songs/subject matter. For Example, who uses the word golly anymore? But the way this group does it is very innocent and endearing. In a way they remind me of the Innocence Mission, which is going to date me. I am nearly forty and these kids are barely 20(?).

Anyway, I got all the Cds and EPs and what stuck me immediately is that this is a group of siblings and hearing the song many funerals, I have to ask, did their parents die?
Joined: 18 Mar 2010 | Posts: 140 | Location: the dub side of the moon
eiswood09
Sea Post King

Smile No, their parents are alive and well. Their dad, Boyd DuPree, is the band's manager actually.

Many Funerals is about one of their friends.

The band talks about the song in this youtube clip at 3:35 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPrCP2cTJFU
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

I remember reading somewhere that Sherri's ex-husband had experienced some death's in the family as well.

As far as ages. It's stairsteps, 28, 26, 23.8 , 21, and 20.

Thanks to the family's good taste in music, they are contemporary enough to not sound like a retro/ dated band, but well rounded enough to nail the best parts of those great artists someone who remembers the early 90s fondly, or really appreciates the mi-to-late 60s and early 70s typically digs.

the early-to-mid 90s were especially good because it was a period where it was cool to like "College Music" which meant 2 generations (those near college age, and the kids who looked up to them) got influenced by some really talented and inspirational artists, along with the adults who made and listened to that music. As for 66'-73'* was the golden age and will always influence great musicians. Judge a tree by it's fruit.

*denotes Rock and Roll, Post-Distortion, Pre-disco.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Sheri has an ex?

And I agree with your comment about 90s alt.rock. I was in law school at the time. I was glad to be able to be a part of all that.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

yeah, I don't read any of the gossip and all that stuff, and the little I know about the situation comes from discussions on this site, of from the band when they write about things.

She was married, and they split. it'll be 3 years since the divorce this coming winter, and last year she got married again. The trials and tribulations of that period of highs, lows, and a return to the highs was the inspiration for a lot of songs on their upcoming album.

I'm not into the details of it all, so that's my take on the matter. As far as can be told, everyone has moved on with their personal lives as best they can and are doing okay. Songs have been written about the "sides" of the stories etc. it get's the blood boiling around here.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

Awww. I thought she might be available;) She's a cutie.

Anyway they seem to have many of the parts they need to have a long successful career. They are missing a few pieces but I am sure they will find them.
Last edited by John Locke4815 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

I don't think I can handle that many funerals, I'm not really a mourning person.

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

bah duh bum.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Have you met Dan?
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

tahruh wrote:
Have you met Dan?

I'm sure he has, all us old guys know each other right?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Sherri's ex-husband had experienced some death's in the family as well.

I believe it was actually about Jesse.