Laughing City
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

If you had a friend who had never heard Eisley, and you could only use one song to introduce them to Eisley's music, which song would you choose?

For some reason I always gravitate towards Plenty of Paper. I dunno if that's a good idea or not?

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

"Marvelous Things!"
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

I'm constantly in this situation. I try to tailor the song choice to the friend's specific taste in music, but it's always one of these:

Lady Get Away
Ten Cent Blues
Marvelous Things
Many Funerals
Just Like We Do
Telescope Eyes
Sun Feet

and I've used Plenty of Paper, too.

http://inconnumag.com
lessthaninfinite
Sea Post King

golly sandra
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Whatever is your favorite Eisley song - go what that. Your friend may not have the same taste as you, but it is easier to advocate if you are a true believer (as in your favorite song) rather than just picking one based on overall popularity.
ync
Golly, Poster

mikep0922 wrote:
"Marvelous Things!"

it's the song that started it all for me
so it's definitely what i would play for someone else
and it's one of my favorites

You misunderstood. I used that emoticon to show people what they'd look like after I stab them in the eye.

Wink
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

for me it was invasion.

for my friends:

one + his brother + a friend back home = golly sandra
several marvelous things
a few one day i slowly floated away

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Cendrillon
Golly, Poster

It was definitely Golly Sandra for me, but I still tend to gravitate toward Plenty of Paper. I actually heard Telescope Eyes first, and was not impressed. Came back later, heard Golly Sandra, loved it.
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

I told one of my customers about Eisley today and let her listen to Brightly Wound. She loved it. The reason I chose that one was because she's a fan of Plumb.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

The best pre-packaged intro, in my opinion, if you could only give them one thing, is probably the live tracks on the combinations bonus disk. That's really the only commercially available material that I'm aware of that really sounds anything like Eisley's main body of work. Great, true to life renditions of some classic faves, with a good range of their styles.

Second pick would be the HATS EP.

Third might be the Like the Actors E.P. - I might have suggested Fire Kite but for the literally intolerable MB TE rendition.

So if we were sticking to (non-ripped) officially released audio media, I'd say the HATS and LTA ep's together give a good picture of some of the stuff that made them loved, but also their versatility and where they've been going since. But for a track or two, the combinations material (in my opinion) was very much a detour, and doesn't represent them as well as either their older or newer material (and especially their more experimental and interesting newer stuff, like on LTA). Mostly boring, formulaic commercial schlock, to be quite honest- so if you loan them the bonus disk make sure and take out the album disk and put it away somewhere safe from being mistakenly played (and yes, LTA starts with two Combinations tracks- and not two of the better ones, but they sound better live, in small doses and contexted with much more interesting stuff).

In fact for the sake of all that is right and good, keep them away from the W.B. studio full-lengths in general, or they won't get what all the fuss is about and will think less of you for liking them. That's been my experience, anyway. Songwriting aside, the production is insufferable.

Some of the well loved unreleased stuff that floats around the internet is really good- you just wonder how representative it is of what your friend might hear from Eisely either live or recorded in the future if they bite... some of that stuff is really early.

Actually- some of the Youtube concert clips of some of the better reworked older material they were playing on the Combinations tour was REALLY stunning, so that might actually be a good place to start...
thinking Blackened Crown, ODISFA, Lady of the Woods really stood out , and showcase some of their best and most typical earlier songwriting along with their more current singing voices and instrumental chops, arrangement skills, etc. So one or two of those clips might be where I would start.

--edit..
oh yeah... you said one song... dunno... would depend on the person and what I knew of their tastes, selected from among the above, I suppose.
Last edited by inorbit on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Actually, yeah. Lady of the Woods live on youtube is a great, great intro.

http://inconnumag.com
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

It depends on the person. I usually use Plenty of Paper.

I've also used Invasion and Marsh King's Daughter. The first song I heard and got me hooked was I Wasn't Prepared.

Last edited by golly_sandra on Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Back in the day Marvelous Things was the one that got me. I covered it solo acoustic on a one off gig in 08' and that was the only song anyone asked me about that night...

But now, I'm tempted to say I Could Be There For You, The Valley. or Ambulance.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
grain thrower
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:
The best pre-packaged intro, in my opinion, if you could only give them one thing, is probably the live tracks on the combinations bonus disk. Great, true to life renditions of some classic faves, with a good range of their styles.

I've said the same thing as above, the (audio) recording is outstanding & leaps out at you. The whimsy of their songs married to the energy of their live sound forming a perfect bond.

But for just one song, I'll choose what worked for me: Memories (Room Noises version)

eisleyfan14203
Sea Post King

I would go with Marvelous things (was the first song I ever heard) or I would go with A sight To Behold depending on the reaction I think would be better

follow me Smile