Laughing City

Which do you prefer
A great live performance by a band, it's a truer representation of them.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A great studio recording by a band, it's a truer representation of their vision.
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
It depends.
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 11

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Okay, to start off:

This is a place to share sites that offer a venue to artists to share their music and gain exposure by offering free downloads, and I hope everyone will keep it limited to that.

Here's my find today: NPR all songs considered - St. Vincent Live http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104231942

Npr has lots of live shows of great artists that have gone on there.

The other obvious one to link to is www.daytrotter.com who offer 3 songs by an artist for download recorded live in their studio. They keep all their sessions and have multiple for many artists. It's worth exploring if you want a quick way to get exposure to artists you've heard of but never heard. A. A. Bondy, Kevin Devine, the Dears, and Death Cab acquit themselves well on their, amongst MANY other stellar performances.

and then there's the internet archive of live shows http://www.archive.org/details/etree

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

I know of no free download site, just commenting on the live vs studio.

I used to love going to shows...I don't think I've been to one for three years or so though. They're great though, and I think what makes them great is the experience. I saw the Matches live back in 2004 or 5 or something and the energy, etc was awesome. However listening to a live version of their songs is not my choice experience. I'm not the biggest fan of a live CD because you're only getting half of the deal: the music is not the reason I go to shows. If I wanted to listen to fun. I'll listen to the album, I wouldn't go to the concert.

Long story short I guess, I like listening to studio versions much better, but live experiences are awesome.

Sorry I'm not very articulate this morning. Late night + 6:30 rise to get my wife to work + studying for a midterm I will take in two or three hours kind of gets to me.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie

Spotify is my haven for exsposing myself to new music that friends or coursemates have recommended Smile.

As for live/studio...

Nightmare made a good point: with a live disc you only get half of the live experience. Most of the time I'm disappointed with a live disc, so I've never bothered.
Currently I am, though, listening to Take That - The Circus Live from Wembly, and I'm getting goosebumps. I also have a bootleg copy of a Coldplay show which I prefer to their studio albums - maybe the fact that it's bootlegged captures the energy more than an actual recording would. *shrugs*.

Nah, a live show is a definate experience, and you get a vibe from not only hearing the music, but seeing the band perform, being with other fans and letting the experience wash over you.

Studio album, please!

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank

blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland