Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Not are they going to, but do they need to?

To stay relevant (man I hate that word)?

to stay in the game?

to keep their momentum?

discuss

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Christophjam
Sea Post King

do they need to? probably not.
they are touring and keeping in contact with their fan base. We know they care about staying "relevant", which I kind of hate too.

should they? Probably, especially if this album is as good as all the samples we are getting. Also I can't really see a reason why not to, if the album is finished, there's only so much mixing and editing you can do. Their not going to go and record a whole new album.

Also, and this might seem like a sidenote, but 4/5ths of the band are now married. They should keep working now while they're young before they start wanting to settle down more than make music or tour.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

no.

they are reestablishing themselves so there is no need so long as they build up the record whenever it is released.

best move if it"s gonna be a while would be to release demos or live takes of b-sides / unreleased stuff quarterly to keep fans engaged and blog regularly. maintain the core audience and give critics fodder for reflection.

sell the 1/4ly releases as downloads to bankroll any Eisley activity like studio time or building, gear upgrades or physical releases.

again, no rush, plus a distribution deal for an Eisley headed imprint might be worth waiting for if slow walking the band's profile proves successful.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Yes, if for no other reason than to stop spending loads of money at the studio. We all love the songs that come out of Rosewood, but it won't do anyone any good if the DuPrees bankrupt themselves trying to finish this album.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Who's Eisley?

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
singsoftly
Golly, Poster

i don't think there's ever a reason to not put out an album, one of my biggest problems with the music industry is the standard thats pretty much been set now that bands put out albums 2-3 years apart. why they can't do an album a year is beyond me, especially because i compare to my favorite band portugal. the man, they've released 5 full lengths in the last 5 years. every year they put a new one out. and the last 3 they've self financed.

so as a whole yes eisley should absolutely put out a new album, and i think the music business has become incredibly lazy.

When I fly solo, I fly so high.
freakinalex
Lost at Forum

As long as a band is still relevant to their fans and they still put on shows, they technically don't have to put out any new albums. I mean, how many people go to an Elton John show to hear stuff off his new album. Not that Eisley are anywhere near as big as EJ, but the fact stands that as long as the fans still come and they're touring and doing what they love, they don't need to release a new album.

That being said, it would be nice if they released a new album in 2010.

mikep0922
Lost at Forum

Some releases are timeless, like Room Noises, which doesn't belong to any particular time period! Some though, as Combinations, and most Cd's released, seem to belong to the particular era in which they were produced! They just have a certain feel to them!

I don't know in which camp the 'New CD' will fall, but odds are the latter, and therefore, I'm in favor of a sooner rather than later release! IMHO Smile

roosevelt!
Sea Post King

I'm just worried with as long as this album is taking to be released, all the songs on it will no longer feel relevant to the band. I mean, that's what happened with Combinations, correct? Of course, I don't see anymore divorces happening.
John Locke4815
Sea Post King

They need to release a calender.
Joined: 18 Mar 2010 | Posts: 140 | Location: the dub side of the moon
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Do they NEED to release their album this year?

They clearly have a lot of things to sort out before they'll be able to come up with a release date. They're touring this summer, right? That should keep fans occupied til it comes out. Plus, they've played like 5 new songs now, and will probably debut more this summer. So that should keep their set lists fresh

That said, I think they SHOULD release it this year. They kinda promised they would. And we've been waiting for a couple of years now. (The first Eiswood sessions video was posted in 2008, IIRC). I think the interval between albums needs to be shorter. Once Eisley gets into the swing of things, in terms of their new career as independent artists, hopefully we'll be hearing much more new music.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

As a fan of:

Sade
Portishead
Soundgarden
Chris Isaak
Sunny Day Real Estate
Maxwell
the Breeders
Ring Cicada
National Skyline
Ours

and others...

I am more than used to waiting near decades for material, because even if it's not timeless, it's those artists being who they are, which is why I fell for them. And I've seldom been disappointed with the "comeback" albums that they released. Not everyone works at the same pace, or is as satisfied with climate in which they're set to release music in, as others are. It's their livelihood after all.

I say, don't do it until you're ready and willing to swing for the fences, or content with not making a ripple outside of you core audience. It could go either way.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
SamuraiPunk
Vintage Newbie

Yes.!

well they don't need to but i want them to. I'm still a fan and i still play alot of there music. I just want to hear more.

JBaker
Vintage Newbie

To be honest, I lost interest in Eisley because it took them so long to put out Combinations.
They just kinda became irrelevant.
I still bought the album when it came out, but I can't say it did much to reignite my interest in the band. I didn't enjoy about the last third of the album, and a potential 4 year layover between their next new material isn't exactly the way to reinvigorate my interest.
And as Hannah pointed out, throwing tons of money into the studio isn't going to help the band much.

Write a dozen songs, gather 'round a 4-track, lay everything down in 2 weeks, and put out an album 6 months later.

The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

what the above said is one of my concerns...

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand