Laughing City

What do you think of the notion of Indigo Children?
Sounds Interesting
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Sounds Flakey
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
New Age Mularky & Hippie Pipe Dreams
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Vote Fatima in 2036!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

When Copeland's You Are My Sunshine came out and someone posted a link to her music, I remember reading a comment on her page by someone who called her one of the Indigo Children.

It sounded sort of mysterious so I looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Well, I don't necessarily believe in the idea wholeheartedly, but more and more I come across kids and wonder. My own cousin graduated 8th grade and gave an address that was downright presidential. Her goal at this point, to be a Neurologist. She's also a gifted piano player among other things.

Then there's this http://www.parentdish.com/2010/05/14/successful-model-9-considers-hers elf-a-normal-kid/

And of course, those Duprees...

SOOOOO... Name off Any Potential Indigo Children you've discovered. Sort of like picking a super-human kickball team.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Kids who are nurtured and given opportunities to explore what the world has to offer will find things that interest them and excel at them. Auras have nothing to do with it. Raise your kids to be active citizens of the world, and they will be.

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Fair enough.

Some kids just connect with achievement and expression more so than others, at least when it comes to relating and communicating their thoughts and ambitions with adults. There's a certain Poise that screams "Old Souls" or prodigy. I would lean more toward that than the idea that a particular disorder is really a masked ability. But sometimes there are just kids that are otherworldly talented or seem prescient. You had to be there.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

As far as I know, Indigo Children, above all, possess some sort of psychic ability or extreme intuition, and give off an impression that they've "been here before" or, at least, know what they're up against.

I have no problem believing that exists.

As for Eisley--not to get all new age-y here--but Stacy's always given off a special vibe. You never know! Razz

Anyway, my cousin is the closest thing that description I've ever seen. He's 8 going on 80 - minus the dementia. And then there's the fact I was described as one by a "qualified" woman in my youth. Surprised And honestly, reading those characteristics over - wow. 9/10 deal for sure.

But I think, overall, it's not as spacey of a concept as it's made out to be. I think if you strip away "auras" and try to overlook the stigma of spirituality and "connectivity," it's not totally insane that a child would refuse to give up or set aside their will, or allow their intuition and other senses to be dulled down because that's what society calls for. It's kind of like how before a natural disaster, animals will act strangely and attempt to seek shelter, while people will sit around without a thought in their heads until a horn sounds - or that disaster strikes (my favorite more recent example is a video of a dog getting up and hauling ass outside of a building right before an earthquake hits, while everyone sits around completing their paperwork). I strongly believe man, at one point, had those very same capabilities, and probably at a more heightened level. So yeah, if kids are acting that way from a young age, it is pretty special, but again, I don't think it's as hocus-pocusy as people have made it out to be.

I think Hannah's correct in one respect (certain children are bred a certain way from a young age - why wouldn't they possess certain characteristics that make them seemingly "weird" or "different" or more advanced than other kids), but I also know there are children who did not receive that sort of breeding, that turn out to fit that description, too.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I didn't isolate a particular Dupree but I figured Stacy and Christie would get nods in this thread...

And gotta say that was a fine distillation of the notion of Indigo Children, an apologetic mighty enough to save my developmentally impaired and accosted thread.

I am thinking my nearly 2 year old nephew has something going on, he is Hyper perceptive and very emotionally expressive in ways beyond what's normal for a 2 year old I've come across. It's funny and creepy. And we have 2 Kindergartners at my job reading at a 5th grade level and "their own people"
personality-wise that leave the staff taken aback. One's got a 150 IQ. But it's not the smarts that gets me, it's the sense of self that is well defined, like you pointed out. And yeah, I got pegged with the "old soul" label when I was a kid too, but I've been adult height sense I was 8 or 9 years old, so it sorta came with the territory.

As for De ja vu, empathic tendencies, precognition, and what not. I believe in it, and have experienced it directly and passively for what it's worth. I also believe great artists tend to have an empathic nature, and project that in their work naturally, and thus connect with people of that ilk very easily. That's just me. Some things are nurture, but others are just nature, nye, supernaturarl.

Nightmare
Vintage Newbie

Quote:
"Are you an indigo?" he asked Dusk. The boy looked at him shyly and nodded. "I'm an avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years." The man seemed impressed.

Laughing

Anyway I think it's a load of BS. Did you read those descriptions? It sounds so generic anyone could be one. Do I think there are people who have talents? Yes. Do I think there is a weird hyperhuman child race running around? Not on my life.

Not to be offensive.

Joined: 28 Apr 2005 | Posts: 3505 | Location: In your dreams
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Quote:
"I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire."

Hey me too!! Laughing

I read a sci-fi book that had children in it kinda like what y'all are talking about. More on the super intelligent conspiracy theory level. IIRC they were getting psychic direction from future humans. That wasn't really the main plot, but it was a cool book. Called Manifold: Time

Vintage Newbie

They were treated with Cortexiphan. Duh. Wink
CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

Well, one reason Jenny McCarthy speaking out about autism is annoying (among many reasons) is she says she is an indigo adult and her son a "Crystal" child. And she used to host an online community called Indigo Moms. Just shut up already, Jenny! Oh, and she believes she cured her kid of autism... pffft. No, either your kid was misdiagnosed or is low on the autism spectrum. Yet she's on Oprah pushing her books and various anti-yeasts to cure autism. Another flake hollywood type, washed up, cashing in on her kid. No surprise.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ I remember when she came out about that. Around the same time a bunch of women (20 something in age generally) I knew were diagnosed with Crones Diseases, and were all cutting out the Wheat Gluten from their diets and people tried to link Gluten to Autism.

It all rings odd, but then again, after meditating through, and then intently watching Children of a Lesser God I'm not going to knock any shots in the dark until/ unless they are totally unfounded and without results.

That's not to say I disagree with you at all, just acknowledging that the hole we've dug ourselves as a bi-product of so many advancements at once, so often, make it hard to isolate what, if any changes have impacted us.

There was a great piece I saw a couple of years back (probably on PBS) about the impact premature birth had on brain development and how it related to the development of autism in premies.

The study they implemented test the theory that the amount of audio, sensory, and visual stimuli to a premies brain alters it's development creating a "hypers-sensitivity" given gestation should have still been occurring in the womb.

They created delivery rooms with silent equipment, sound dampening insulation etc to see if it would reduce the likelihood of autism developing in the premies. I recall they had positive results.

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

wilsmith wrote:

There was a great piece I saw a couple of years back (probably on PBS) about the impact premature birth had on brain development and how it related to the development of autism in premies.

The study they implemented test the theory that the amount of audio, sensory, and visual stimuli to a premies brain alters it's development creating a "hypers-sensitivity" given gestation should have still been occurring in the womb.

They created delivery rooms with silent equipment, sound dampening insulation etc to see if it would reduce the likelihood of autism developing in the premies. I recall they had positive results.

It's amazing how any study can have about any result if you have a small sample size. With as many autistic people as their are out there, you would think some large scale, double-blind studies would be done on a lot of the alternative therapies. Unfortunately, only 1 or 2 have been. I believe the 1 or 2 disproved the theories they were testing.
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I think moms are willing to try anything to help their kids if they suffer from autism, or similar conditions. You can't really blame them for that, but yeah, Jenny McCarthy was just looking to make money.

I don't know about Crone's disease, but I have multiple friends/family members who suffer from Celiac disease. They can't eat certain types, or all types of gluten. It's a legitimate disease. Once they cut the gluten out, all kinds of weird symptoms went away. Chronic stomach pain, diarrhea, migraines. My cousin had been trying to lose weight for years. She stuck to a healthy diet, and exercised daily. It wasn't until she cut out the gluten that her body finally started to let go of the fat. She also had kidney problems that went away.

My point is: modified diets aren't all crap.

Now, back to indigo children. I know they exist because I am one. I'm better than all of you. Bow to me. Rolling Eyes Laughing

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES
Vintage Newbie

cynlovescandy wrote:
I think moms are willing to try anything to help their kids if they suffer from autism, or similar conditions. You can't really blame them for that, but yeah, Jenny McCarthy was just looking to make money.

I don't know about Crone's disease, but I have multiple friends/family members who suffer from Celiac disease. They can't eat certain types, or all types of gluten. It's a legitimate disease. Once they cut the gluten out, all kinds of weird symptoms went away. Chronic stomach pain, diarrhea, migraines. My cousin had been trying to lose weight for years. She stuck to a healthy diet, and exercised daily. It wasn't until she cut out the gluten that her body finally started to let go of the fat. She also had kidney problems that went away.

My point is: modified diets aren't all crap.

Now, back to indigo children. I know they exist because I am one. I'm better than all of you. Bow to me. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I understand. We did the gluten free / casein free diet for about 9 months for my son. We tried anti-fungals. We tried high dose B6 and magnesium for over a year. He's have occupational therapy. He's had Loovas therapy for several years (without adversives). He's had horse therapy. He's had speech therapy. He's had special headphones with special music... Believe me, I understand that a parent will do anything for their kid. But seriously, if you look closely at the DAN doctors protocol (google it), it is a whole lot of money making and very little science to back up anything. In case you missed it, the father of many of the alternative autism therapies (Andrew Wakefield) just lost his license to practice medicine in the UK. But that doesn't stop him from going on his book tour (new book coming out). But no, modified diets are good and necessary for some people with celiac disease. But I think it's pretty much crap for autism. But for the most part, it is the safest of the alternative therapies out there so certainly no harm in trying it.