27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
It's good, but I like ____ better.
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
Bleh, couldn't get into it.
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Haven't heard it yet. I should get on that...
27%
 27%  [ 5 ]
....Arcade Fire?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 18

sukieinthe_g
Golly, Poster

Woo! New album! Thoughts anyone?

I just started listening to it this evening as I was doing some work. It's been on repeat for at least a couple of hours, but I've been pretty engrossed with my work. I'll be giving it more serious listens as the week goes one.

What I've heard so far, I like! Not sure yet if it beats Neon Bible for me.... be we shall see. Cool

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

sorry ya'll they never did anything for me.
don't care for the Boss either, perhaps there's a connection there?

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I know Neon Bible had plenty of Springsteen influence, but they've always reminded me more of David Byrne/Talking Heads, and that's especially true of this album.

I like it better than Neon Bible (which I also love), but I'm still not quite sure about liking it better than Funeral. Frankly, though, I don't feel it has to be ranked. (And I know that wasn't really the intent of this thread!) I'll leave it to be what it is, and that's a darn good album from a band that's still pushing itself to grow.

I actually wasn't really expecting this album to be super strong, and I don't know exactly why, but it definitely lived up to my hopes.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^hmmm, lots of bands get the Talking Heads comparison, but the only Album of theirs I like in entirety is Remain In the Light and not many bands even come within 3 miles of that, IMO of course Wink

I have Funeral, and it just didn't leave up to the groundswell of praise at that time I guess. They're like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, they don't make bad music, they do their thing, and it gets better, but just doesn't completely hook me to the point where I'd recommend them to people.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9638 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

wilsmith wrote:
I have Funeral, and it just didn't leave up to the groundswell of praise at that time I guess. They're like Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, they don't make bad music, they do their thing, and it gets better, but just doesn't completely hook me to the point where I'd recommend them to people.

I had a hard time at first with Funeral because I kept hearing so much overwhelming praise for it, too. But it's just good, so I let it slide. I feel about the same about BRMC as you do, too, though. Probably worse ... it lacks the depth and vitality Arcade Fire has in my eyes, though. I think they're ok, but just offer nothing I want.

What sold me on Arcade Fire, too, is how much Funeral reminded me of early and mid-'90s alt rock. Just hit that soft spot.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
uncreative
Vintage Newbie

Amazon has it for $3.99, fyi.

http://amzn.com/B003X73QA8
johnip
Vintage Newbie

Just got done with the first listen. Why couldn't they have used a different kind of CD case?

Anywho.. I'm notoriously bad at picking favorites so I'll have to listen to it 20 more times before even trying to rank it, but so far so good.

I didn't hear anything about them till I saw the music video for Rebellion (Lies) in the cafeteria at college early one morning. I was having a rough go at the time and it's one of the only songs where I just sat there in awe when I heard it -- probably with my mouth open and holding a spoon for five minutes. I was hooked.

Vintage Newbie

I've listened two times. First was not good, but second with headphones totally changed it. There is a lot of stuff seemingly buried in the mix that I didn't pick up in my car. Length is not bothering me because it's all solid. Usually with this amount of time there is some stuff that should have been b-sides or way out there/throw away junk, but nothing feels like that so far. I wonder what all the people in their live band will be doing since some of this seems pretty sparse.

Too early to place a vote, but I'm pretty sure I'll put it above Neon Bible - there are a couple songs that don't do much for me on that. Comparing it to Funeral is a different story.

============================

Montreal indie collective Arcade Fire will release their much-anticipated third album, The Suburbs, on August 3. What will it sound like? Well, according frontman Win Butler, like "a mix of the Depeche Mode and Neil Young." Wait. What?

"That's kind of a weird combo, and if it doesn't sound weird then I think it's a success," he told the BBC.

boone
Vintage Newbie

I think it's incredible. Listening to it in the car was kind of odd because, yeah, it sounded a lot more stripped down, more like their early, early stuff. But it's definitely a headphone album. Listening to it on a walk, it was this subtly dense amazing...thing. I'm not worried about what all the musicians are going to be doing--they're all there and if you really listen you can hear it all--but how are they going to replicate all the layers that are going on? I guess they don't really need to, they can just go all out and it'll be a big crazy live experience.

With some of the diverse new influences the album seems to have, it had this kind of deep, emotional resonance built in for me. It's actually kind of heartbreaking for me to listen to, I wonder if I'll have to get away from it for a while now...
cynlovescandy
Vintage Newbie

I finally got it yesterday.
Dear LORD! I love it. I've only listened to it in the car, so I still need a proper listen. I like it much, much, more than Neon Bible.

bigideas
Vintage Newbie

http://www.arcadefire.com/vinyl/

"So for the new album, we had each of the 16 tracks mastered to a 12 inch lacquer and then transferred back to digital format so that the CD and digital version of the record sound just like the vinyl. Here are photos of the actual records."

I wonder if this is why some of it sounds a little 'buried?'

I like how it sounds though.

Cool idea. I remember Beck took the MP3's that came with the vinyl of Modern Guilt from vinyl.

boone
Vintage Newbie

I imagine it was mixed that way on purpose. It's just so atmospheric. And there are subtle effects, like a line that sounds like a simple synth part, but when you listen carefully it's a string octet.

I like that they mastered from vinyl discs, although the difference is really subtle (and they compressed it afterward... Rolling Eyes ). I've always wanted to make an album where the CD replicates the vinyl experience. It starts with a needle drop and a scratchy leader, and halfway through there's the sound of a side change.
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

boone wrote:
I've always wanted to make an album where the CD replicates the vinyl experience. It starts with a needle drop and a scratchy leader, and halfway through there's the sound of a side change.

I think that has been done, but can't recall who.

Now what about a vinyl album that replicates the CD experience that replicates the vinyl experience? Wink

boone
Vintage Newbie

The vinyl would replicate the reel-to-reel experience, and the cassette version would replicate the 8 track. Of course, the cassette would be issued on a "digitally remastered" limited edition CDR blank.
sebas
Golly, Poster

Just torrented it. I think it's great.

-Mahatma, Gandhi