Laughing City

When I heard about the Paramore "split" I...
Laughed. Hah. Paramore.
43%
 43%  [ 18 ]
Cried. Paramore can't possibly continue without whats-his face and the other one!
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
I didn't hear that and now that I've heard, I couldn't care less.
51%
 51%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 41

tahruh
Vintage Newbie

Well duh! But I think that besides the money, he was looking to recapture some glory! Their last tour involved very small clubs. Laughing
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

tahruh wrote:
Well duh! But I think that besides the money, he was looking to recapture some glory! Their last tour involved very small clubs. Laughing

rock star -> groupie->house husband/tour cuckold = glory?

I don't wanna see your idea of humiliation.
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

It would be his definition of glory. And I really wouldn't go so far as to call any of them rock stars (they were never as successful as Blink, Green Day, Sum 41 or even that other horrific 10th gen. Canadian pop-punk quintet). Or even Paramore, at their height. He'd still be just the guitarist, and I imagine he'd contribute lyrically if he became a full-fledged member.
Last edited by tahruh on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRMS_7888
Vintage Newbie

So, he was looking for some new found glory?

MAKECOLDPLAYHISTORY
Joined: 20 Feb 2005 | Posts: 8868 | Location: Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
tahruh
Vintage Newbie

'LAWL'.
golly_sandra
Vintage Newbie

DRMS_7888 wrote:
So, he was looking for some new found glory?

You made a funny!! Laughing

minikeesh
Sea Post King

I have a simple question. I don't completely understand how labels work or how signing works (Embarassed), but I believe the blog or something else I read said Hayley was the only who was signed. So, typically, does a whole band, every member, sign? I just know people say, "Eisley is signed to Equal Vision," so does that mean EISLEY THE BAND is signed and/or Sherri, Stacy, etc. are all signed? Does that question make sense? Because from that blog, it seemed like Hayley was signed but not "Paramore" as a collective whole, which seems weird. I don't know I'm confused.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

minikeesh wrote:
I have a simple question. I don't completely understand how labels work or how signing works (Embarassed), but I believe the blog or something else I read said Hayley was the only who was signed. So, typically, does a whole band, every member, sign? I just know people say, "Eisley is signed to Equal Vision," so does that mean EISLEY THE BAND is signed and/or Sherri, Stacy, etc. are all signed? Does that question make sense? Because from that blog, it seemed like Hayley was signed but not "Paramore" as a collective whole, which seems weird. I don't know I'm confused.

sounded to me like the arrangement in their case was highly unorthodox- and that to some extent the others got fleeced because they were naive kids.
It was complicated further by this business of Atlantic placing them on Fueled by Ramen to "fake indie" them. I wasn't even aware that that was going on these days. Wonder how widespread it is, and what "indie" labels do a good percentage of their business fronting for major labels who are pulling the strings behind the scenes (other than simple distribution deals)
warner<->equal vision? nah-just kidding- kind of....

The business of majors running (or buying) indie-sounding imprints is old and pretty transparent, but I wasn't aware of this kind of deal. Its an interesting development in the ecosystem of commercial cheesiness.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ it's just like Columbia having Red Ink to soft release fringe artists they hoped would brake around the turn of the century...

meanwhile check out the frame at the bottom labeled Warner Music Group on the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fueled_by_Ramen

and to answer Mikeesh's question, signings are negotiated. In some cases the label signs the bands and the right to release the solo works of any of the members of said bands. Sometimes band management makes sure solo deals are independent of the band deal. There are many bands that are the recording project of 1 person, and that person is signed "as the band" because they record music with live backing. Sometimes a band is hired to our with the artist, and they become permanent, sometimes they are as permanent as studio session musicians. That could be the case with Paramore. Examples from the recent past:

Days of the New, Guns & Roses, Smashing Pumpkins, Hole, Five for Fighting, Dashboard Confessional, Say Hi To Your Mom, NIN and many many more...

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

ahh... I didn't realize fbr were a WMG company.... silly me.
I think they downplay it though.... Probably just a question of fashion.
Everyone knows, for instance, that Sire and Reprise are Warner imprints- the labeling and press materials have always made that clear.
FBR not so much.

And while what you say is certainly true about the variety of ways deals are structured, when a band is an actual (organic) band being signed, some of those variations are less usual...unless it is one of these cases where it is made explicit (i.e. the company is only interested in the singer, but wants to use the name... and maybe just try to hire some of the other members for touring). I think those kinds of deals happen a lot more with producer/A&R organized bands... or, as you say, projects of specific artists. Real bands that have a longer existence and following prior to signing make that tougher to pull off, unless its a really huge deal with a major and they pay people off. I definitely got the impression that the way the deal happened with Paramore was not entirely above board.
minikeesh
Sea Post King

After reading the blog, it seems like they were unhappy from the start. So could the Farro brothers have left earlier or were they somehow contractually obligated to stay even though they weren't signed? I mean I guess it could be hindsight speaking in the blog. I don't care about Paramore or like them at all, but all of this signing talk made me start thinking about how it actually works. As inorbit said, the situation was unorthodox, so maybe that's why I'm so confused.

Interesting stuff though. It was funny in the interview how Hayley said fans shouldn't care or need to hear about signing and all that, but I think it's interesting to know how things work behind the scenes (not necessarily with Paramore), and I know I'm not the only one.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

When I think of signing, I think of Wu-Tang clan first and foremost, because they were the first "group" even though it was rap, that I knew that negotiated in their original contract, that each member of the group have the power to negotiate their on solo deals with whoever they want.

As far as bands with more than one songwriter, "first look" deals, where the home label had first crack at releasing solo material from the member were pretty common as far as I knew.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9637 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area

<< prev | goto page