Laughing City
drenchedecent
Sea Post King

I was really excited because I thought this was an exclusive stream of the full album "The Valley":

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/exclusive_stream_eisley_the_val ley/

However, it is just one song, the title track. A stream of a song that has been available for purchase since 2009 I would not call "exclusive."

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

drenchedecent wrote:
I was really excited because I thought this was an exclusive stream of the full album "The Valley":

http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/exclusive_stream_eisley_the_val ley/

However, it is just one song, the title track. A stream of a song that has been available for purchase since 2009 I would not call "exclusive."

Laughing But don't you know? It's special because it's the album mix! Yea, okay, AltPress...
Lynn
Golly, Poster

But you know, the new mix is pretty awesome. This song still sounds amazing every time I listen to it Smile
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

I feel like such a lazy listener when I can't tell the difference in mixes. I could with Ambulance, and maybe if I listen to the two Valleys back to back?
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

If it is the Album mix, that's good, cause I'm very curious to hear if it's noticeably different.

Upon review: It's still brilliant. The EQing might be a little more distinct and brighter, and there's a keyboard part in the right ear of the Fire Kites EP for the intro that I don't think is as prominent on the Album mix, with the strings being brought out more.

The bottom end on the Fire Kites version seems to be more prominent, making it feel like a warmer mix, though it may not be as distinct. I seem to notice Chauntelle's sweeping leads a little more on the Fire Kites version. They're still there on the Album mix, but they seem to have a bit more reverb. The one thing for sure is that the Fire Kites version ends with that warm distortion of the guitar (and bass) in the fade out and the Album version has a high clean tone with the bass for a clean fade out.

I'm going to just say it, and this is not a criticism, just a preference and observation. As much as Chauntelle's singing now and then is like a "secret weapon" Eisley breaks out on us now and then, Chauntelle & Sherri's distorted guitar tones a KILLER. If ever they do bonus editions or remasters, I seriously want to hear a mix with the guitars "out there", blazing away. That's just me though. So yeah, I love that little bit of distortion at the end (of the Fire Kites version). It's like a steaming Sword thrust into the scorched earth nearest the dragon they just slew. Love

In other words, in Dude/ Rawkspeak, it says: " I am B@◗@§$ " Cool

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Last edited by wilsmith on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

you are right about their guitars. i think they are under used.

the crunchy guitar in Many Funerals is great.

And the guitars in HATS (the old EP 2) are simply amazing.

When they rock it out, they rock it out. Even in My Lovely they sound spectacular.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
Catey
Lost at Forum

I love how clear Stacy's vocals are, I like the prominence of them.
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Nice!! I also like how clear the vocals are and the "bright" sound.

The only thing I miss is hearing the bass. Especially that bass line/slide at the beginning of the second verse. I liked that little bit, or anytime the bass does something a little different than norm. Hopefully on regular speakers and non-online-streaming, it comes out a bit more!

Still, I really like the song! Great opener.
olimario
Laughing Citizen

I'm not as big on this mix.
The drum cymbals are really distracting in this version.
Last edited by olimario on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I definitely would like a little more guitar in Eisley mixes. I think people just fail to realize that Eisley actually are a rock band. There used to be a time where you could sing beautifully AND have crunchier guitars ...

That said, I have had almost no complaint about the mixes and recordings on The Valley. They've been the most fitting treatment of Eisley so far, and a major leap forward for them in almost every regard.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
The drum cymbals are really distracting in the verses.

I thought so, too. I'm a tad disappointed that the background vocals a lot quieter and that the guitars are quieter too, because both of those elements add a ton to this song and now it's taken away the edginess of this song. It's not bad, but the Fire Kites version was a very raw feeling but in the best way possible which made it rock. With it being mastered the way it is, it makes it more pop and than rock, imo. Again, not bad, but I prefer the latter.

I'm also the same way with Ambulance. I actually really despised what they did with the background vocals on the "Ooh, whoa..." part. (And I still kind of do, it just irks me because it's not as moving to me. My mom even noticed the difference and though it sounded whiny compared the Fire Kites version and my mom doesn't normally notice this stuff...) But it's grown on me now. I still prefer the FK version but it's not my choice, it's Eisley's and if they're happy with it then they get to mak that decision. It's nothing against them, it's actually more against the person who mastered it.

I just don't get that mix of it. The guitars are pretty edgy in the studio version but half of the appeal of Eisley is that they can combine those things so well and I feel like it wasn't done in a way that is flattering for them. As I said before, I'll be switching out the studio version for the FK version and burn it to a cd. I'll wait until I give the album a full listen through a few times but it's just not flattering, in my opinion.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
Caley
Lost at Forum

TheAntrider wrote:
I definitely would like a little more guitar in Eisley mixes. I think people just fail to realize that Eisley actually are a rock band. There used to be a time where you could sing beautifully AND have crunchier guitars ...

That said, I have had almost no complaint about the mixes and recordings on The Valley. They've been the most fitting treatment of Eisley so far, and a major leap forward for them in almost every regard.

PREACH! I remember hearing the mix for Smarter and thinking, "This is the best treatment of an Eisley song yet!" And every track off the Valley I've heard so far has made me think the exact same thing. Blows previous productions out the water, in my opinion, because it doesn't take away from the songs whatsoever. Whoever the production team was on this album, kudos to them because they GOT Eisley and their sound... something previous teams never seemed to get.

olimario
Laughing Citizen

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:
olimario wrote:
The drum cymbals are really distracting in the verses.

I thought so, too. I'm a tad disappointed that the background vocals a lot quieter and that the guitars are quieter too, because both of those elements add a ton to this song and now it's taken away the edginess of this song. It's not bad, but the Fire Kites version was a very raw feeling but in the best way possible which made it rock. With it being mastered the way it is, it makes it more pop and than rock, imo. Again, not bad, but I prefer the latter.

I'm also the same way with Ambulance. I actually really despised what they did with the background vocals on the "Ooh, whoa..." part. (And I still kind of do, it just irks me because it's not as moving to me. My mom even noticed the difference and though it sounded whiny compared the Fire Kites version and my mom doesn't normally notice this stuff...) But it's grown on me now. I still prefer the FK version but it's not my choice, it's Eisley's and if they're happy with it then they get to mak that decision. It's nothing against them, it's actually more against the person who mastered it.

I just don't get that mix of it. The guitars are pretty edgy in the studio version but half of the appeal of Eisley is that they can combine those things so well and I feel like it wasn't done in a way that is flattering for them. As I said before, I'll be switching out the studio version for the FK version and burn it to a cd. I'll wait until I give the album a full listen through a few times but it's just not flattering, in my opinion.

Where did you hear the new mix of 'Ambulance'?
Catey
Lost at Forum

It's up on their Facebook page
Joined: 02 Aug 2005 | Posts: 1086 | Location: Essex, England
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

There was a Free Download of it on the main page for a while there too when the release date was announced.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area