Laughing City
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

from here
juan_diego wrote:
somewhat off topic but here is a new video of Better Love @ Mad Planet in Milwaukee!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO9HEmB1buk

I'm loving this song more and more. Very Happy

This sounds f*****ing outstanding.
And many thanks to the filmer for giving us the first (known) youtube clip of the tour since the Brewtones show.

Some observations:
1) I like this song better the more I hear it... especially the full live band (although the acoustic radio show version worked very nicely too). I still think Mr. Moon wins if I can only have one, but this one is pretty nice too.
2) I like that they're going for a more guitar-heavy sound this tour.
3) related.... from what I can tell from the brewtones clips I saw and this one, Chauntelle has got her tone SERIOUSLY dialed in these days.
4) Sheri's new do- looks great.
5) Stacy is looking awfully.... willowy these days; I hope thats because she's bursting with fitness and vitality, and not because she spent too long stranded in the snow with no food Laughing
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ It's some of that good old Angular, Post-Punk influenced/ New Wave-ish rock and roll. That kind of stuff just grows on you and eventually envelopes you. Eisley is smart to pick up that thread, cause when it was the big thing 11 years ago, bands turned to Electro or rewrite Joshua Tree to no avail before they realized the power of that style and learned how to adapt & evolve it beyond the point of mimicry.

They are on their A. game. I couldn't be happier. Since War, the Unforgettable Fire, Meat Is Murder, and Disintegration are some of my favorite records from the 80's and Logic Will Break Your Heart is one of my favorite albums from Y2K-2010 this should come as no surprise Wink

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

wilsmith wrote:
^ It's some of that good old Angular, Post-Punk influenced/ New Wave-ish rock and roll. That kind of stuff just grows on you and eventually envelopes you. Eisley is smart to pick up that thread, cause when it was the big thing 11 years ago, bands turned to Electro or rewrite Joshua Tree to no avail before they realized the power of that style and learned how to adapt & evolve it beyond the point of mimicry.

They are on their A. game. I couldn't be happier. Since War, the Unforgettable Fire, Meat Is Murder, and Disintegration are some of my favorite records from the 80's and Logic Will Break Your Heart is one of my favorite albums from Y2K-2010 this should come as no surprise Wink

Having worn the grooves/oxide off at least some of those albums you mention, I can say that I definitely hear those influences in there (probably unwitting, I think, via more recent intermediaries), just as they were in classic Eisley, along with some Wire-ish shades on some (Sad and Better Love)- which is newer for them, but its a lot more than the recurring trend of recycling those styles I think (although that was kind of my first reaction to Sad). They sound very much like themselves doing their thing at its best here to me.

I also hear a lot of Bowie, Floyd (esp. Mr. Moon) and Fleetwood Mac (esp. Better Love) coming through in this stuff.

Having heard some of the newer stuff (Oxygen Mask, but particularly Better Love and Mr. Moon), I for the life of me can't imagine what more they could have delivered to make Warner want the album.

Interesting that they had this outrageously good stuff kicking around for about two years and wouldn't play any of it!

Maybe I've just become a bit overexcited, but I honestly think this album could well shape up to be of the caliber of a Meat is Murder, depending on the production/mix (which is always the big if given their luck in the studio with full lengths). I don't know if it would ever achieve the popularity, simply because the market is so fragmented now, but... Thats not the sort of thing I throw around lightly.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

inorbit wrote:

Now that I've heard some of these tracks, the the first two we heard (Valley and Ambulance) are somewhat stylistic outliers on this album.

Having heard some of the newer stuff (Oxygen Mask, but particularly Better Love and Mr. Moon), I for the life of me can't imagine what more they could have delivered to make Warner want the album.

Interesting that they had this outrageously good stuff kicking around for about two years and wouldn't play any of it!

Maybe I've just become a bit overexcited, but I honestly think this album could well shape up to be of the caliber of a Meat is Murder, depending on the production/mix (which is always the big if given their luck in the studio with full lengths). I don't know if it would ever achieve the popularity, simply because the market is so fragmented now, but... Thats not the sort of thing I throw around lightly.

Yup, Yup, & Yup, all that Smile . Thing is, and I might catch some heat for this, but Tegan & Sara are on a WB affiliated label & haven't delivered an album on par with So Jealous, which was a solid stab at music in that vein and got A LOT of the industry excited about what came next, and they've (in my opinion) coasted on that bus, cause the records that have followed aren't nearly as appealing and replayable.

Reading that review from The Phoenix (Boston) where Sherri says it tells a story... It's fitting that The Valley and Ambulance bookmark the album, given they are a little bit like outliers, but don't forget about Kind.

My pre-disposition is to think of this as specifically about Sherri's experience, partially due to one Boyd quote in a post leading up to the 08' tour, mentioning that Sherri had already addressed some of her grief in song re: the need to get back out on the road and have some catharsis (at least I'm pretty sure that's when it was mentioned). This was before any whispers of LP3 had come up, but was possibly in reference to the genesis of Smarter since it was one of the first songs written.

As we now know, there was more than one heart aching, so now I think about the album as having more than one arch or perspective on heart ache. And we already know that the story of said heartaches is being told by the broken hearts, from their perspective, as well as the family members experiencing that heartbreak vicariously through them, which gives at least 5 narrative perspectives ( If Chauntelle contributed to lyrics that makes 6, and add one for each new writer beyond Stacy or Sherri ).

So this story can go all kinds of places thematically, given the varying vantage points the songs can convey.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdQw_rXrVk

Heres another video of Mr. Moon someone posted if anyone's interested; I think it had good sound. Still love the drums in the end Smile

inorbit
Laughing Citizen

kLafied wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xdQw_rXrVk

Heres another video of Mr. Moon someone posted if anyone's interested; I think it had good sound. Still love the drums in the end Smile

Thanks for putting that up.
Anyone know which date it was?
You're right about the drums- when the come back in on the third chorus, especially, its an impressive bit of work. Kind of Nick Mason sounding.

Hope they're proud of that one, because its good.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

^ Pliggedy +1

It just struck me that rhythmically it's a down beat song, and if I was a drumming on it, listening to one of my sisters ( I have two older sisters too ) sing about how someone had wronged them on such a deep level, I would have a hard time containing myself.

Not saying that's what's going on, but what Weston's doing is EXCELLENT on the choruses at conveying frenetic restraint. It's exactly what I imagine that emotion I mentioned earlier would sound like musically if said-hypothetical-brother empathizing with said-hypothetical-sister pouring their heart out on a downbeat song, feeling all that anguish and frustration, but not at liberty to just let it all out, having to measure his cathartic expression by hers, as not to step on her toes by allowning his reaction to her feelings to supersede hers.

Did mention Weston is apparently a Genius at playing paradiddles? Mr. Green Now I get what Boyd meant way back in the Room Noises recording sessions when he mentioned Weston having to simplify his playing (was that in regard to recording Treetops? I going from memory here).