Laughing City
Author Message
inorbit
Laughing Citizen


Kit wrote:
...

Eisley's third album is pegged as their breakup album. In the four years since the band's last album, the DuPree sisters have endured three failed relationships - four if you count the split from their former label, Warner Bros. The Valley is often angrier, with heavier guitars in place of the airier soundscapes of the band's past work... amped guitars come off leaning a bit too close to Evanescence territo
ry


...some journo never listened to any pre-combinations Eisley! (not that it sounds like Evanescence)
Joined: 06 Jan 2008 | Posts: 1749 | Location: Dallas
View user's profile Send private message
norad
Vintage Newbie


I'm interested in getting some fan reviews of The Valley for strangeyellowpatterns.com.

Please email me your reviews at admin@strangeyellowpatterns.com
Joined: 12 Jun 2005 | Posts: 20734 | 
View user's profile Send private message
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie


oh dear. @KarlaKampers wrote this on Twitter: "Eisley has really gone down hill with their second album. It's more sappy emotion where the last was thoughtful and whimsical in some ways."

I hit a quick reply correcting her about the album count and the idea they've gone downhill. If I get a reply...

_________________
She is handsome, she is pretty, she is the girl from Belfast City, she is courtin' one two three, please won't you tell me who is she?

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank


blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
JBaker
Vintage Newbie


mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
oh dear. @KarlaKampers wrote this on Twitter: "Eisley has really gone down hill with their second album. It's more sappy emotion where the last was thoughtful and whimsical in some ways."

I hit a quick reply correcting her about the album count and the idea they've gone downhill. If I get a reply...


Maybe she was actually talking about their second album, Combinations.

If so, I can't argue with her.

_________________
EvilSpace
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 | Posts: 2348 | Location: Plano, TX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mad_sam_purple'ead
Vintage Newbie


JBaker wrote:
mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
oh dear. @KarlaKampers wrote this on Twitter: "Eisley has really gone down hill with their second album. It's more sappy emotion where the last was thoughtful and whimsical in some ways."

I hit a quick reply correcting her about the album count and the idea they've gone downhill. If I get a reply...


Maybe she was actually talking about their second album, Combinations.

If so, I can't argue with her.


It if she meant Combinations, why diid she use "has" instead of "went"? maybe I placed too much trust in her grammar.

_________________
She is handsome, she is pretty, she is the girl from Belfast City, she is courtin' one two three, please won't you tell me who is she?

TheClassicRomance wrote:
Facebook is a dirty skank


blog!
Joined: 03 Mar 2005 | Posts: 7598 | Location: Dundee, scotland
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster


considering the zero amount of time spent by WB on "promoting" the album, it's not surprising that many people missed Combinations.

(it's also out of print, at least when you go to buy the regular edition on Amazon)

_________________
"Die Sonne scheint noch" -- Sophie Scholl <3 <3 <3
Joined: 22 Jun 2004 | Posts: 535 | Location: texas is the reason
View user's profile Send private message
olimario
Laughing Citizen


What's with the Combinations hate all of a sudden? I love that album.
Joined: 19 Aug 2007 | Posts: 1547 | 
View user's profile Send private message
eiswood09
Sea Post King


olimario wrote:
What's with the Combinations hate all of a sudden? I love that album.


It's definitely odd IMO. I've read a lot of comments online which stated that people don't like it because it wasn't as whimsical as Room Noises. I personally, love Combinations. The Valley's my favorite though Smile

_________________
Joined: 25 Oct 2009 | Posts: 254 | Location: Melbourne
View user's profile Send private message
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum


mad_sam_purple'ead wrote:
oh dear. @KarlaKampers wrote this on Twitter: "Eisley has really gone down hill with their second album. It's more sappy emotion where the last was thoughtful and whimsical in some ways."

I hit a quick reply correcting her about the album count and the idea they've gone downhill. If I get a reply...


haters gonna hate!

_________________
Oneironaut

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
Joined: 06 Sep 2008 | Posts: 1155 | Location: Nashville
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JBaker
Vintage Newbie


olimario wrote:
What's with the Combinations hate all of a sudden? I love that album.


I never really liked it except for a couple tracks.

The last two or three songs are complete snoozers, so I mostly only listened to the first few tracks anyway.
Also never was a fan of "Go Away."

_________________
EvilSpace
Joined: 01 Mar 2005 | Posts: 2348 | Location: Plano, TX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster


ya know, i guess the whole "why hate Combinations now" thing is simply a reaction to The Valley.

me personally, i think i only listened to the album two or three times. to me...it seemed...half-baked? the hard-rock guitars really didn't seem right. eisley's stuff has always walked that thin line between being delicate and utterly fragile, but it just seemed too "loud" of a record.

of course i think the problem was, to some extent, not the shortness of time between RN and Combinations, but the length of time between the EP's and Room Noises. how many of you, when you got Room Noises, had already heard most of that album already, through the band's many live shows, videos on youtube, and word-of-mouth?

i think that plays into the general reaction towards Combinations. it's not an uncommon thing for any band, really; you have your whole life to write your first album, but only six months to write your second. and having not seen the band live, i might say that the band probably agrees; when i watched that live broadcast, only one was from Combinations, I do believe...

let me note that this is the past; The Valley is, IMHO, a million times better--and it's giving the band the rebirth it really deserves....

_________________
"Die Sonne scheint noch" -- Sophie Scholl <3 <3 <3
Joined: 22 Jun 2004 | Posts: 535 | Location: texas is the reason
View user's profile Send private message
olimario
Laughing Citizen


mister_joseph wrote:
ya know, i guess the whole "why hate Combinations now" thing is simply a reaction to The Valley.

me personally, i think i only listened to the album two or three times. to me...it seemed...half-baked? the hard-rock guitars really didn't seem right. eisley's stuff has always walked that thin line between being delicate and utterly fragile, but it just seemed too "loud" of a record.

of course i think the problem was, to some extent, not the shortness of time between RN and Combinations, but the length of time between the EP's and Room Noises. how many of you, when you got Room Noises, had already heard most of that album already, through the band's many live shows, videos on youtube, and word-of-mouth?

i think that plays into the general reaction towards Combinations. it's not an uncommon thing for any band, really; you have your whole life to write your first album, but only six months to write your second. and having not seen the band live, i might say that the band probably agrees; when i watched that live broadcast, only one was from Combinations, I do believe...

let me note that this is the past; The Valley is, IMHO, a million times better--and it's giving the band the rebirth it really deserves....


I get that half-baked feeling from the buttrocking of 'Sad' and the similar "hard" tracks on The Valley. 'Better Love' just drones on and on.

But I will agree that The Valley hits some insanely high highs. 'Oxygen Mask', 'Kind', 'Watch it Die', 'Ambulance', 'The Valley', etc... are all just INCREDIBLE and among their best work.
Joined: 19 Aug 2007 | Posts: 1547 | 
View user's profile Send private message
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster


"Sad" to me is "harder" but it's not in that pseudo-Evanessence-style that seemed so incongruous to Eisley on Combinations. those harder moments on The Valley also serve to break the monotony....an album of them might not be appealing, but one or two kept the album from being bleak. it is a sign that the person who tracked and programmed this album knows what they are doing....
_________________
"Die Sonne scheint noch" -- Sophie Scholl <3 <3 <3
Joined: 22 Jun 2004 | Posts: 535 | Location: texas is the reason
View user's profile Send private message
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie


^ OK, just to be clear, What on Combinations sounds like Evanescence to Anyone???

1. "Many Funerals" 2:51
2. "Invasion" 3:36
3. "Taking Control" 3:05
4. "Go Away" 3:03
5. "I Could Be There for You" 3:35
6. "Come Clean" 3:33
7. "Ten Cent Blues" 3:59
8. "A Sight to Behold" 3:15
9. "Combinations" 3:34
10. "If You're Wondering" 3:55


There you go, that's all the tracks, I challenge you name a song, and the comparable Evanescence song folks.

The only thing they have in common is the letter E at the start of the band names.

At best, I hear the Cranberries when I hear Invasion, and Fleetwood Mac on Ten Cent Blues and A Sight To Behold

_________________
yup, that's my name.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9571 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
olimario
Laughing Citizen


I'm with Wilsmith.
I found Combinations to be interesting, diverse, and enjoyable.

Of course I find the same to be true of The Valley so far.

Let's hear it for Eisley!
Joined: 19 Aug 2007 | Posts: 1547 | 
View user's profile Send private message
Post new topic   Reply to topic

Display posts from previous:   



You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB, coffee, and Eisley fans worldwide.
phpBB is © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group