Laughing City
Kylee Janai
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
I'm with Wilsmith.
I found Combinations to be interesting, diverse, and enjoyable.

Of course I find the same to be true of The Valley so far.

Let's hear it for Eisley!

Hip hip hooray (!) I agree.
drowningsea
Sea Post King

wilsmith wrote:
^ OK, just to be clear, What on Combinations sounds like Evanescence to Anyone???

1. "Many Funerals" – 2:51
2. "Invasion" – 3:36
3. "Taking Control" – 3:05
4. "Go Away" – 3:03
5. "I Could Be There for You" – 3:35
6. "Come Clean" – 3:33
7. "Ten Cent Blues" – 3:59
8. "A Sight to Behold" – 3:15
9. "Combinations" – 3:34
10. "If You're Wondering" – 3:55

There you go, that's all the tracks, I challenge you name a song, and the comparable Evanescence song folks.

The only thing they have in common is the letter E at the start of the band names.

At best, I hear the Cranberries when I hear Invasion, and Fleetwood Mac on Ten Cent Blues and A Sight To Behold

Granted I'm not an Evanescence expert, but I had the one big popular album and a few older tracks and some demos and I don't see that comparison at all O_o
Caley
Lost at Forum

While Combinations ranks third on my list of Eisley albums, I do no get the "pseudo-Evanescence" comparison whatsoever. Is it because both bands are female led? Everything else points to different styles entirely.
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:

There you go, that's all the tracks, I challenge you name a song, and the comparable Evanescence song folks.

The only thing they have in common is the letter E at the start of the band names.

here's a better exercise, and one that may help you understand where the comparisons come from.

What songs on Room Noises (or any of their previous releases up to Combinations) have the hard guitars found on "Invasion" and "Many Funerals?"

I don't know of any.

"Invasion" was the 'single.'

What band was big on the charts when it came out? Evanescence. They were still riding high with The Open Door; you'd be hard-pressed to not hear a similarity in sound (not necessarily in melody) in those suddenly-hard guitars on Combinations and the award-winning, million-selling guitars on The Open Door.

This is where the factor comes in: If you are a radio person, and you hear "Invasion," in the make-or-break market, you will think, "another band going for the Evanescence sound," and you'll pass. If you are a casual listener, and had never heard Eisley before, you could be forgiven if you think, "oh, a wannabe-Evanescence" band, and pass. If you are a reviewer, have never heard Eisley before, and hear it--often times that first listen makes or breaks a review--you'll be quick to say the same thing.

Do I agree with any of these things? No. I'm just highlighting where that "evanescence" thing comes from.

Caley
Lost at Forum

^I imagine you've seen Eisley live, so you know that they have an edge to their live sets that isn't there on their albums. I don't think Evanescence's music influenced the sound on Combinations whatsoever 'cause Eisley's never shied away from cranking up their guitars, and "Head Against the Sky" and "Over the Mountains" are the perfect examples of that.
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Caley wrote:
^I imagine you've seen Eisley live, so you know that they have an edge to their live sets that isn't there on their albums. I don't think Evanescence's music influenced the sound on Combinations whatsoever 'cause Eisley's never shied away from cranking up their guitars, and "Head Against the Sky" and "Over the Mountains" are the perfect examples of that.

well...um...nope. and i'm friends with those folk! Embarassed

but having seen videos of them perform, i understand your point, and can agree--but even the quietest band (say, like the Cocteau Twins or The Cure) when they play live, are LOUD. it's part of the performance; finding the balance between making a gentle, delicate recording in the studio and translating it on the live stage is a difficult act. and it's not necessarily the fault of the band; it could be the work of the studio hands/labels taking something and trying to make it "a hit" by having one of their people mix "those guitars to sound like those million-sellers Evanescence," in order to gain sales. it happens. even to the best bands.

i know they worked hard on it...but it just missed something. maybe WB meddled with it. maybe some of those songs need to be seen live to fully appreciated.

i just know that there's an immediacy with The Valley that Combinations did not have.

ps. anyone who quotes Rilke makes me <3

mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

here's a pretty good review of the album:

http://www.bigtakeover.com/recordings/eisley-the-valley-equal-vision-r ecords

Caley
Lost at Forum

mister_joseph wrote:

Wowzaaa! They're already calling it "one of the best albums of 2011"! And I can totally agree with them 'cause let's face it, it's effing brilliant! Now... If only next week would get here so we can have an influx of reviews! LOL.

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mister_joseph wrote:
Caley wrote:

well...um...nope. and i'm friends with those folk! Embarassed

but having seen videos of them perform, i understand your point, and can agree--but even the quietest band (say, like the Cocteau Twins or The Cure) when they play live, are LOUD. it's part of the performance; finding the balance between making a gentle, delicate recording in the studio and translating it on the live stage is a difficult act. and it's not necessarily the fault of the band; it could be the work of the studio hands/labels taking something and trying to make it "a hit" by having one of their people mix "those guitars to sound like those million-sellers Evanescence," in order to gain sales. it happens. even to the best bands.

i know they worked hard on it...but it just missed something. maybe WB meddled with it. maybe some of those songs need to be seen live to fully appreciated.

i just know that there's an immediacy with The Valley that Combinations did not have.

ps. anyone who quotes Rilke makes me <3

Look Here Buddy, do your research Razz

from Eisley 101

go listen to that stuff mentioned there here so it has Always been a part of the band.

Eisley was about the Loud guitars before any of those bands of that period existed. PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea was out in 2000, well before Evanescence with even more acclaim with Good Fortune and This Is Love The Evanescence comparison was inaccurate and lazy then, and it still is now. Bad habits have to be dropped completely. It's for your own good Wink

Now, if someone just said they didn't like the songs, as opposed to saying their were atypical to what they know of the band, I can accept that. Very Happy

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

wilsmith wrote:

Eisley was about the Loud guitars before any of those bands of that period existed. PJ Harvey's Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea was out in 2000, well before Evanescence with even more acclaim with Good Fortune and This Is Love The Evanescence comparison was inaccurate and lazy then, and it still is now. Bad habits have to be dropped completely. It's for your own good Wink

Now, if someone just said they didn't like the songs, as opposed to saying their were atypical to what they know of the band, I can accept that. Very Happy

mister_joseph wrote:

Do I agree with any of these things? No. I'm just highlighting where that "evanescence" thing comes from.

mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Caley wrote:

Wowzaaa! They're already calling it "one of the best albums of 2011"! And I can totally agree with them 'cause let's face it, it's effing brilliant! Now... If only next week would get here so we can have an influx of reviews! LOL.

yeah, that's the sort of thing "they" say. i totally agree with that guy's opinion. he knows what's up!

*cough* *cough*

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

1st off: Laughing at the humility above ^ Razz Wink

mister_joseph wrote:
wilsmith wrote:

mister_joseph wrote:

and about that... Laughing you're quoting yourself out of context. You said that before you issued the Evanescence comparison apologetic Razz

If you're going to forward an argument after you say you don't really agree with it, I'm taking that to say you think it's worth discussing. So I discussed, and they you pull a fast one, you dirty dirty rat Evil or Very Mad Laughing

But anyways, Use what I shared to correct the next lazy person who drops that Evanescence reference within your ear or eye-shot. Knowledge is power, shock some sense into those suckers Twisted Evil

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

mister_joseph wrote:

That is a good review; pretty descriptive and legit with it.
Caley
Lost at Forum

mister_joseph wrote:
Caley wrote:

yeah, that's the sort of thing "they" say. i totally agree with that guy's opinion. he knows what's up!

*cough* *cough*

Totally didn't put the two together! Very nice review, man! LOL.

mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Caley wrote:

*cough* *cough*

Totally didn't put the two together! Very nice review, man! LOL.[/quote]

awww shucks....

Love Wink

ps you're cool.