Laughing City
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

This isn't an album review, but a live review that is so awesomely bad it has to be posted.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/riffs-music/2011/f eb/21/concert-review-eisley/
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

That's (the bad grammar) supposed to be the Editor's job to fix, but it looks like that section is lax in the editing department, less of a priority. The writer seemed to have some good perspective on the live show, and what songs worked and the band dynamic, even if he description of the material seemed a little too hellbent and bringing up Texas one way or another.

About The Washington Times Communities

The Washington Times Communities are an Uncommon Place where some of today's liveliest voices have joined together to share their common interests.

From politics to entertainment, sports to public policy and today’s lifestyles encompassing family, food and health, The Washington Times Communities are filled with content from independent writers offering a fresh perspective on the very things you care about.

The Communities are written with the reader in mind – and you are warmly invited to join in on the conversation happening right now. Make a comment, or join us by contacting Jacquie Kubin (jkubin@washingtontimes.com) with your ideas for a new Washington Times Communities' column.

The Washington Times Communities – An Uncommon Place to Share Your Common Interests

I've gotten hosed by an Editor who didn't really edit so much as cut for length and overlooked slight errors that MORTIFIED me when I saw them.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

yeah, i didn't think it was that bad of a review. looking at the pic of the writer, he's young; age doesn't necessarily excuse bad writing, but it does explain a vigor and a more awkward style.

i find the comment that "eisley fan" wrote to be more offensive, though.

princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

mister_joseph wrote:

i find the comment that "eisley fan" wrote to be more offensive, though.

They're right.

...It wasn't me... Wink
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

okay, i just gotta say this....

It's easy for fans to be defensive/critical of press and the people who write about the music they love. But as a long-time music journalist/writer-type, I can speak with pretty good authority and say that little digs like that can be detrimental to the band in question. If fans act like jerk to people who write positive reviews and positive pieces--it can and will become ingrained in that person's mind. If I think a band's fan base is a bunch of jerks, I will think twice about giving them any coverage.

I am not alone in this sentiment, either; music journalists have to take a lot of crap, and are oft under-appreciated. loved for the things they love, hated for the things they dislike. So if you see that people who follow a certain band are going to be a jerk to you...why waste your time with potential negative feedback?

My advice: if you see something like that, keep it to yourself, accept the positive review, and if you feel you must say something--do it in private, shall you?

sorry if i sound crabby...this is sort of a sensitive topic for me....

PS: this is not aimed at anyone here. i'm just sayin', ya know?

wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

Confession: I write too (for http://www.playbackstl.com *) , but only sporadically, and only about things I like, or music by my friends, which I like enough to be legitimately positive about. So you aren't the only one who's a teeny bit defensive Mr. Joseph Smile

*Me Moonlighting as a Music Journalist:

written as Wilie E. Smith

as Wil E. Smith

as Willie Smith Jr.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

Good review.

http://rvamag.com/articles/full/10609/daily-record-eisley

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
moonlightgaze
Sea Post King

The_Paronomasial_Mattoid wrote:

That is a great review! Thanks for sharing. I really like this line:

"They write enchanting music that makes you feel like you're living a perpetual daydream."

A lovely way to describe them.
Mystic210
Laughing Citizen

Thanks for sharing!

I found myself with the same feelings on the following:

With a tight eleven song tracklist, there's no filler. It's one rich, full song after another, with so much depth that they beg for multiple listens

There are songs that took more than one listen for me to get into, but the fact that I COULD grow to like them more and more tells about the depth of the songs.

AND

There are a few moments on the record where the emotions run high enough to give you an awkward feeling in your stomach, like you've wound up in the middle of an intense argument or accidentally overheard someone's private miseries. Fortunately these moments occur in songs that are driving, catchy, and compelling.

I found myself getting down to songs like "Watch it Die," "Mr. Moon" and "Sad," then almost feeling bad about it. Embarassed Obviously, it's okay, but between music and lyrics, the songs are definitely compelling!
The_Paronomasial_Mattoid
Vintage Newbie

^ I totally agree. I feel the same way.

The world is R. Kelly's shower. It's a golden world.

Nowhere Man wrote:
mr pine wrote:
is there a difference between dubstep and techno?
you know besides the name?

techno: uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik uhnd chik
dubstep: BOOM Chik.. Boom Boom Boom Chik.. PEOOOWWwwww BOOM BOWowoWOWoWOWow zipzipzipzipzipwoowooowoow EEEEEeeeeeerrr BOOM BOOM BOOM Splat!
sebas
Golly, Poster

princesstripandfall wrote:
This isn't an album review, but a live review that is so awesomely bad it has to be posted.

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/riffs-music/2011/f eb/21/concert-review-eisley/

How exactly does Eisley sound like Texas...or have similarities with country? Neutral

-Mahatma, Gandhi
pzy
Wookie Luke

Awesome 4.5/5 review with more positive comments at the bottom: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/42072/Eisley-The-Valley/
bigideas
Vintage Newbie

pzy wrote:
Awesome 4.5/5 review with more positive comments at the bottom: http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/42072/Eisley-The-Valley/

Oh, man, the Room Noises review on that website is hilarious! Laughing

praddler
Sea Post King

Quote:
It is about Sandra has grown up to be both crazy and beautiful, you'd believe it is a love song, she sings to someone named "Sandra." – “Only like I love Sandra,” It’s gay, well, maybe they're friends, or, they had sex. Hey, that’s plain wrong, Sounds like so be it, they like it but it doesn’t seem like this way. You must respect the musical lyrics. It is innocent. The music is a country stylish sound to it.

Oh wow. This gives me a whole new perspective on Golly Sandra. I feel so enlightened. I can't believe I ever thought this song was about a mother's view of her maturing child. This is just too embarrassing. Embarassed
boone
Vintage Newbie

I'm pretty sure you were right the first time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address