Laughing City
MyPioneer
Sea Post King

Hey everyone Smile

I don't really know where else to put this, but I was wondering if anybody knew what song Sherri was 'forced' to write for Combinations, just cause I've read a fair few times in interviews about there being a song on there that She wouldn't have put on if She'd had the option, I could be reading into it too much though, so don't worry if I'm wrong haha.

Thanks,
Charlie.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

It may not be that she was forced to write, and it could be a case of them wanting to use a song that she didn't think fit the album or was up to her expectations of what an Eisley song should be? I don't know what song though.

FOR YOUR RATING PLEASURE:
4 LIKE Buttons, 1 NEUTRAL, 1 VEXED, 5 DISLIKE buttons. LC > FB

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
Wink = personal fave Mr. Green = Eisley fans should dig it
Joined: 09 Apr 2008 | Posts: 9641 | Location: Greater St. Louis Area
norad
Vintage Newbie

Maybe you're thinking of when Sherri was asked to re-rewrite Brightly Wound from Room Noises? I think that's what it was...
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

patrock wrote:
Maybe you're thinking of when Sherri was asked to re-rewrite Brightly Wound from Room Noises? I think that's what it was...

Naw, that too, but MyPioneer is right. I don't remember where but Sherri has definitely alluded to that in the past. I could be completely off base and this is "just my guess," but I'd venture to say it was A Sight to Behold. Taking Control, maybe, but they were playing that before the album on the Final Noise tour. I like both of them so it's whatever.
ks1990
Lost at Forum

Yeah, she did mention that in one of the radio interviews the other day, if I recall correctly. I always assumed it was 'Taking Control', but I don't know...
The Man In The Moon
Lost at Forum

honestly i feel a lot of songs on combinations are half written. many funerals for instance loses a lot of water in the second verse. go away, taking control, and i could be there for you, as much as i like them they're really just repetitive catchy hooks.

http://www.facebook.com/ChengBand
olimario
Laughing Citizen

Well, I love the album.
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

olimario wrote:
Well, I love the album.

+1 There are only 3 songs on there I might skip if I'm in an odd mood, Invasion, Come Clean, and If You're Wondering

It's a less retro sounding record. It's hardly and all out rockfest, but more contemporary. That's apparently not a bad thing, since the same can be said for The Valley. It's just a matter of pacing. Combinations fluctuates in pace, from frenetic to melancholy. I enjoy that for the most part, but to some people it might sound like a a lot of singles compiled together. Most great albums are just that, or in some cases, sound like one continuous exposition on theme, varied every 3 or 4 minutes, with one or two curveballs thrown in to keep people from zoning out.

Love Very Happy Smile Cool Neutral Confused Sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad
boone
Vintage Newbie

Wasn't "Taking Control" recorded after tracking was finished? I know it was a different session, but I can't remember if it was from before or after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Combinations blowes room noises out of the water. That is for sure.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
wilsmith
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

I'm not gonna go that far, but I my appreciation of their work has grown with each Album Wink

marshkingsdaughter
Golly, Poster

Combinations is my least favorite album from a songs standpoint. There are few stand-alone songs on Combinations, I think, like Taking Control and If You're Wondering and A Sight to Behold I sort of skip a lot. That being said, I still listen to it all the time. I even like the songs that I don't really like. Just relatively speaking, it's not my favorite.

http://inconnumag.com
JBaker
Vintage Newbie

mr pine wrote:

Disagree there big time.

Combinations is too short, ends so weakly it's unbelievable, and only has 3 really good songs on it.
Room Noises is longer, has a great closing track, and 6 or 7 really good songs.

I just don't think Combinations was tracked very well. LTA and MKD are both better than most of the songs on Combinations. If You're Wondering just really doesn't belong on any album.

Caley
Lost at Forum

JBaker wrote:
mr pine wrote:

Disagree there big time.

As do I, but obviously everything comes down to POV. While I don't dislike Combinations, by any means, it's just not my favorite album of theirs. I just never connected with it like I did with Room Noises and now the Valley.

I personally think the Valley took the strengths of both albums and created an awesome hybrid of the two. It's got the maturity of Combinations and the unique sound of RN.

Last edited by Caley on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
oathmeal
Sea Post King

Caley wrote:
JBaker wrote:
mr pine wrote:

Disagree there big time.

As do I, but obviously everything comes down to POV. While I don't dislike Combinations, by any means, it's not my favorite album of theirs. I just never connected with it like I did with Room Noises and now the Valley.

I personally think the Valley took the strengths of both albums and created an awesome hybrid of the two. It's got the maturity of Combinations and the unique sound of RN.

I also agree. I definitely love Combinations, but I like the other two better. I don't think that I could ever like an album as much as Room Noises though. It was my first Eisley record and it was the one that made them my favorite band so there's a bit of nostalgia to it (even though it was only a few years ago). I bought it on the way to the Grand Canyon for the first time and it was the only cd I had so I ended up listening to the album straight through over twenty times that day. Still haven't gotten tired of it.

goto page
 | next >>