Laughing City
nico
Sea Post King

Now that the album is available, could you please help us out by rating it and writing a review? This will allow it to show up as recommendations within amazon and itunes!
Joined: 23 Jul 2007 | Posts: 55 | Location: Ottawa, Ontario
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caley
Lost at Forum

Let the rating raids commence!
nico
Sea Post King

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I so needed to sleep, but I knocked out and submitted a quickie review. May the editing gods have mercy on my tired soul. Laughing

Eisley's third album, "The Valley," is finally the complete statement everyone has been waiting for these Texas-based indie rockers to make, and then some. From the opening bombast of "The Valley," the album delivers a relentless one-two punch of lush, majestic pop countered by seething, punchy indie rockers that never let up until the shell shock of "Ambulance" ends the album.

Sisters Stacy and Sherri DuPree weave the contrasts perfectly together, backed by the underrated-but-brilliant trio of siblings Chauntelle (guitar/vocals), Weston (drums) and cousin Garron (bass).

"The Valley" holds something for old and new fans alike. "Mr. Moon" serves as a nearly perfect blast from the past - a treat for their oldest fans - yet even it seems to point to the higher ground the band has been held back from for so long by mainstream incompetence.

Newly independent and fiercely reborn, Eisley are finally getting to show the world who they really are.

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
Caley
Lost at Forum

iTunes is hating on me! They aren't posting my review for some reason... Ayo technology? I'll keep trying though!
Saellys
Vintage Newbie

Done and done!

An album with two faces, not for the faint of heart.

There's been talk that The Valley has split personalities, that the output of Eisley's sister songwriters has diverged so wildly that nothing cohesive can come of it. Don't believe it for a second. Instead, think of this album as the Force: it has a dark side and a light side.

Sometimes the dividing line corresponds to which DuPree singer wrote which song, but not always. It's true that Sherri's songs tend toward the blatant and aggressive, while Stacy's contributions are often more hopeful and populated with poetic metaphor. It's easy to tell who wrote which songs, and an untrained ear might make the mistake of thinking Stacy and Sherri belong in two different bands.

But listen to "I Wish," the transcendent collaboration that sounds like you stepped through a rainbow into a half-mythical early 90s heyday of feminine pop music, and you'll understand that Sherri and Stacy are not in a competition of any kind, nor do their individual perspectives on failed relationships (a far cry from 2005's Room Noises, in which both sisters focused on songs of adventures in fantasy worlds and idealized, platonic love) clash in the slightest. Instead, The Valley is a perfect blend of two young women's unique reactions to love lost. Is it homogenous? Nope. Is it exciting and even a little challenging? Yup. Does each consecutive song diverge wildly from the one that came before? Absolutely. Does it flow together like peanut butter and chocolate? You bet it does.

An album like this can be a jarring experience for those accustomed to the uniform, genre-locked work so many bands release now, content to do the same thing over and over because it's marketable, a safe bet. Eisley are not content. Eisley are adventurous, and they demand the same spirit from their listeners.

Sherri and Stacy are clearly exactly where they ought to be: making music together, supported by the exceptional instrumentation of sister Chauntelle (who also sings), brother Weston, and cousin Garron. Take away any part of that equation and the balance is lost. Without two voices as unique in their verses as they are in their timbre, The Valley would just be boring. It's the contrast between Stacy and Sherri--in their songwriting styles, as well as their harmonies--that makes it magnificent.

Caley wrote:
iTunes is hating on me! They aren't posting my review for some reason... Ayo technology? I'll keep trying though!

Might there be a queue to make sure people don't post offensive things?

Smokemonster
Joined: 24 Sep 2003 | Posts: 14510 | Location: Alone on an airplane, fallin' asleep against the windowpane...
nico
Sea Post King

Great reviews so far! Thanks so much.

Keep them coming!

eiswood09
Sea Post King

Do you have to purchase from the site to rate the album or give a review? I can't find the option to rate. Maybe, I'm just blind.
Vintage Newbie

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #50 Paid in MP3 Albums; and #12 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock

Smile
eiswood09
Sea Post King

CUBSWINWORLDSERIES wrote:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #50 Paid in MP3 Albums; and #12 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock

Smile

Surprised Very Happy

Laughing Citizen

Just wrote a quick review for Amazon!
likeolikeh
Sea Post King

The album is also up on Zune Marketplace. Those of you with a Zune Pass can obviously download it for free, the deluxe edition is available. You should spend your song credits on it and get the bonus songs.

edit: The band probably doesn't make junk off the Zune download, but it's there for those of you that want it. It would be recommended to buy the actual CD, and maybe Amazon/iTunes DL second if you want to support this album the most.
inorbit
Laughing Citizen

...and rhapsody
...and emusic
drowningsea
Sea Post King

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #41 Paid in MP3 Albums (See Top 100 Paid in MP3 Albums)
#12 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock

Very Happy
drowningsea
Sea Post King

drowningsea wrote:
Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #41 Paid in MP3 Albums (See Top 100 Paid in MP3 Albums)
#12 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock

Very Happy

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #30 Paid in MP3 Albums (See Top 100 Paid in MP3 Albums)
#10 in MP3 Downloads > MP3 Albums > Alternative Rock

Also.. #15 in alternative albums on Itunes and #58 overall in albums.
Last edited by drowningsea on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:18 am; edited 1 time in total