Laughing City
mr pine
Vintage Newbie

Is this. That Stacy and sherri have gone in complete different directions song writing wise.

On room noises it is hard to tell who wrote what, but on the valley it is easy. They both just had a diffent feel to their stuff. Very distinct.

This is not s bad thing at all. Just felt like pointing it out.

wilsmith wrote:
You're the Anti-Censorship+Topless Twitpic Parodying+Youth Group Video Directing guy that's a champion for the 1st amendment, Videogames as Art, and unrepentant file sharing...

Instagram - Facebook - Twitter - YouTube
crusso
Sea Post King

Totally.

It's not just the song writing. On Room Noises you could barely tell who was singing what parts. I distinctly remember a website breaking down who sang what. They were starting to separate with Combinations, and it was much more obvious. Now their voices are very very different, but they still compliment each other quite well.
mermaidentwinedshrubbery
Sea Post King

I thought it was pretty easy to tell who wrote what last album as well, but this album is a bit more obvious.
Joined: 10 Jun 2005 | Posts: 192 | Location: Castle Rock, CO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kLafied
Laughing Citizen

Yeah, I'm not sure if the singing parts are more obvious because both of their voices have matured or because I've been listening to them for so long! I certainly have friends that probably still wouldn't be able to tell one from the other, but for me it's very obvious
TheAntrider
Protocol Droid

I can mostly still tell who sings what, but it's not always as clear to me who wrote what. Of course, it helps that I don't really care. There has been tremendous growth in either direction, and I'm loving all of it. That's what is clearer to me. Laughing

You can't spell awesome without emo...backwards! -Julie
definingawesome (11:44:11 PM): Eisley shivers our timbers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Caley
Lost at Forum

So true! I love that they've gone in different directions because it yields all sorts of styles and textures for their music. But I gotta say "I Wish" rocks my brain in crazy awesome ways and I think it's because they co-wrote it, which is like squaring one of their own songs. LOL.
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

Caley wrote:
So true! I love that they've gone in different directions because it yields all sorts of styles and textures for their music. But I gotta say "I Wish" rocks my brain in crazy awesome ways and I think it's because they co-wrote it, which is like squaring one of their own songs. LOL.

Ya know, if there were one thing I would change on the album....I'd switch it in the tracklisting; have "Ambulance" where "I Wish" is, and have it close the album. That way, it gives the album a closing of hopefulness; that song is kind of a bummer to end on...

vivalaspopie
Vintage Newbie

This is so true to the point where I kind of want to make a mega-Stacy album from her Combinations & The Valley tracks until her solo debut comes out.
Laughing Citizen

Indeed! I get almost a 70ish rock/pop style with one's songs and a 90ish style rock with the other (both updated for the here and now, though, of course!) I, too, love the differences as it makes the whole album more interesting.

Vocal differences, I definitely think it has some to do with knowing the band's songs, but more to do with the maturity of their singing voices and becoming more distinct with age. My friend who heard them for the first time when she went to a concert with me could definitely tell the difference, but commented "their voices go together really well, though!"

Caley wrote:

Awesome assessment. Laughing Though, I agree with mister_joseph that it would make an awesome closure of the album. I was thinking for a setlist, it would work wonderfully as one.
Polaris
Sea Post King

I can distinguish between Stacy and Sherri's voices pretty easily, and their lyrics a little less so, but what I'm having trouble with now is distinguishing Chauntelle's voice from Stacy's.
mister_joseph
Golly, Poster

i'm happy Chauntelle is singing these days...i like her voice; it always reminded me of her mama's....
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

Polaris wrote:
I can distinguish between Stacy and Sherri's voices pretty easily, and their lyrics a little less so, but what I'm having trouble with now is distinguishing Chauntelle's voice from Stacy's.

Yeah, supposedly Chauntelle sings one of the choruses on I Wish, but if she does I can't tell which one.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX
princesstripandfall
Lost at Forum

Nowhere Man wrote:
Polaris wrote:

Yeah, supposedly Chauntelle sings one of the choruses on I Wish, but if she does I can't tell which one.

(nevermind about that)
I can easily distinguish between all of their voices and Stacy and Sherri's writing styles. I think one of the things I appreciate most about The Valley is the mixing. In "Watch It Die" and "Please" especially, there are places where the switch from one singer to another is seamless and surprising. Very Happy
Last edited by princesstripandfall on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
norad
Vintage Newbie

I feel like Chauntelle and Stacy's voices are pretty easy to tell apart....but at the same time if I didn't know Chauntelle was singing the choruses I'm not sure if I'd notice she was singing. I'd probably think something sounded off about Stacy's voice though. Laughing
Nowhere Man
Vintage Newbie

princesstripandfall wrote:
Nowhere Man wrote:
Polaris wrote:

She sings every chorus and the "oh woah woah" thing after the last one. I can easily distinguish between all of their voices and Stacy and Sherri's writing styles. I think one of the things I appreciate most about The Valley is the mixing. In "Watch It Die" and "Please" especially, there are places where the switch from one singer to another is seamless and surprising. Very Happy

Wait, what? She sings every chorus on I Wish? I'm talking about I Wish not Watch It Die.

we're really not alone, we have each other
Joined: 13 Jan 2007 | Posts: 2600 | Location: sitting in his nowhere land, TX